2000 Caravan died and won't start back

ChryslerMiniVan.net is the premier Chrysler Minivan Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 2000 Caravan died and won't start back

Thanks

2000 Caravan died and won't start back

Hi everyone. I have a 2000 caravan and was driving to work today and it suddenly died with no warning. There was no rough engine, no flashing lights, no ping ping ping. I tried to restart it and it turned over fine but to my ear it sounded like it was getting no fire. All the lights, radio etc work fine. An important detail, I have had a pretty badly leaking water pump for about 4-5 weeks and since the timing belt is somewhere near there is that a potential culprit? Thanks all for any suggestions.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chrysler Minivan Forums
    Advertisements

Thanks

If I read you right this a 2.4L? A leaking water pump could have knocked the timing belt out. See if the cams still turn when you crank it over.
    2013 TC Limited Black/Graystone Custom ordered 5/13
    Luxury non Stow & Go buckets, Tow and almost everything else. Driven to 28 states so far. Exclusively our vacation/road trip ride.
    1994 Grand Caravan SE Sport, 3.3L, 338,000+ miles and counting. Original engine and trans. Bought it new and have driven it to 48 states. My daily driver.

Thanks

Thanks 1994. I hate to sound unknowledgable, even though it's true, but how can i tell if they are turning?

Thanks

When is the last time you changed the timing belt? You can take the oil cap off and see if you can see the valves move, if not there is an inspection cover somewhere, I believe. I had one of these.
    2005 T&C Ltd 3.8 108,000
    2000 Caravan 2.4l
    1990 Grand Caravan 3.3 149,000 owned 15yrs 4 trannies
    1990 Dynasty 3.0 120k 1 tranny 4yrs
    1981 Dodge Aries 2.6 only new car I ever bought 225k orig 11yrs
    1966 Dodge Coronet 440 Wagon, way old 1 yr. 135$ (Had to borrow it at the bank!)
    1964 Simca 1000 (bought for $10 rebored) 50k 4yrs
    1965 Ply Valiant V8 85k
    1964 Ply Valiant Wagon slant 6 200k 1 qt/200 miles
    1969 Corvair convertible 4 carb

Thanks

Which engine is it? Could be as simple as a bad crank sensor/wiring/connection, or as bad as a cracked flexplate. The 3.3 and 3.8 V6 have a timing chain, and I thought the 2.4 L4 did too? Also, if the engine got really hot it won't start, because the ECU prevents it to protect the engine. Had that happen to our van last summer when the cooling fans went out.
    DAN(husband of member STEPHANIE)

2000 Chrysler Town & Country Limited - Dark Charcoal Metallic with chrome trim, taupe leather interior, loaded. In need of rust repair on rockers and liftgate. Now enjoying the new family mommy-mobile!

Knowledge can never be wisdom without experience.
    "Your experience is a commodity."
    "Opportunity is not a lengthy visitor."
    DRIVE = LOVE

Thanks

tc, I haven't ever changed the timing belt and its almost at the 150k mark. I'll try the oil cap method and see what i see.
    Ripper, the motor is the 4 cylinder. I'm fairly certain the motor didn't over heat because i faithfully fill the radiator before every trip. In my original post I said that while the motor was cranking it sounded as if there were no fire. Is it possible the distributor/coil has gone bad? Would that cause the engine to shut down while driving? Thanks to all of you!

Thanks

Sounds like it could be just the fuel pump quit working
    If you turn ON the ignition switch do you hear the fuel pump run for about 2 seconds?
    2003 Caravan SXT 3.3L / 1997 Grand Voyager SE 3.0L / 1997 Caravan 3.0L / 1991 Plymouth Voyager 3.0L / 1989 Plymouth Voyager 2.5L / 1988 Caravan 3.0L / 1984 Caravan 5 Speed Stick

Thanks

hwy, I do hear the fuel pump priming when I turn the key. Sunday I'll be able to get in there and do a bunch of tests. Let everyone know then! Thanks!

Thanks

Hello, everyone. I still can't start the minivan. Today i replaced the ignition coil and spark plugs plus the Auto Shut Down relay. Everything works great electrically but no start. Anybody have any idea if maybe the fuel pump is the culprit? When i turn the key on I hear a whirring sound for about 6 -7 seconds coming from behind the glove box. Would i hear the fuel pump there? Or is the timing belt still a likely source of the problem? I still can't find a way to see if the cams move. Thanks to everyone for the help!
    Last edited by destes; 01-08-2012 at 04:43 PM.

Thanks

destes, If the timing belt or chain(whatever engine you have) is off, you would mostly likely hear the engine cranking really fast and it would not sound anywhere near "normal" because there would be no compression. You do not seem to indicate such so I am thinking your timing chain/belt is fine.

You really have a "good" problem. That is, the engine has quit altogether and is not intermittent. Those intermittent problems can be really hard to fix. So try these steps but only if you feel mechanically competent to do so.

Isolate the issue between spark and fuel. To do this, get a can of starter fluid from the local auto store and spritz a couple of shots into the intake snout (where the air filter is) and give it a crank. Take precautions and realize that the starter fluid is highly flammable. So don't overdo it (and perform this outside) but don't be frozen with fear either. If the engine makes ANY attempt to fire, then you have a fuel delivery problem. If not, you may have a spark issue. That could be a sensor as someone mentioned. But first, try to isolate the cause.

Remember to think "simple". It is SO easy to start imagining the worst sort of scenario and it is usually something rather simple.
    Last edited by 98t&c; 01-08-2012 at 05:14 PM.
    98 Town&Country LXI, 3.8L, 192k miles (sold)

+ Reply to Thread