The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

Is this my transmission failing?

5K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  dkf747 
#1 ·
I was exiting the freeway, and just coming to a stop, when the van started shaking violently. I flipped it into neutral and it stopped. When the light turned green, I put it back in drive and started moving. The whole thing shook until I got moving again. Every time I had to stop, same shaking. Eventually, it would shake even in neutral when the RPM was at idle speed. It would stop if I gave it gas. Then, finally, it got so bad that I had to park it and get it towed. It's sitting at the dealer now waiting until morning. Any guesses as to what it is? I fear it is the transmission, but hoping I'm wrong.

#2 ·
Did you get a CEL/MIL? (checking codes might tell you what to look for)

The engine could simply be misfiring (especially if there's no consistent sound accompanying the shacking).. as to the reason for misfire, that could get complicated but some things that could be suspects are EGR valve, IAC motor, TPS, less likely are wires & plugs (since it only seems to misfire @ idle or close to it..)

#3 ·
I'm deaf so I can't say anything about the sounds, but the tow truck driver could hear a "grinding" sound when I started it up for him. I just started it, I never put it in gear for him. My wife told me that that was what he said, but she didn't tell me until this morning. Yes, the CEL did come on, but not at the beginning. It came on just before I stopped to call for a tow.

#4 ·
Looks like it isn't the tranny. I've been told that the engine has multiple misfires and that the tech has to remove valve covers, and possibly cylinder head to diagnose. l

#6 ·
Just got word. Intake valve spring, intake push rod, lower intake gasket and a lifter are parts they need to order. The good news is that my warranty covers it. Going to have to go without a vehicle for a few days though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.