The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

Instrument panel

5K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  chr1997 
#1 ·
Hello, my 97 Town &n Country is giving me problems, the instrument panel stopped working, it did it once before, but it started working again, now it has done it again, and I need to figure out what it is, because there is nothing working, everything froze. Any ideas? Thanks. :jpshakehe

#2 ·
dash

Open your hood and look for the power dist center just above the battery , find the fuse marked IOD and pull it for 20 seconds and then reinsert 2 or 3 times . this will sometimes fix hung dashes .

#4 ·
dash

chr1997 said:
Thanks for the sugestion!
what I did, was disconect the positive cable from the battery for a couple of minutes, and that worked, but I still don't know what is causing it.
Sometimes this starts happening when the battery starts getting weaker , might want to have it load tested at a auto parts store . Also look for any corroded terminals or grounds .

#5 ·
Vipergg is correct on this. A low/faulty battery can cause this. I had it happen to me a few years ago in the 2001 Van. Strange things can happen to the instrument panel in this condition.
There can be other causes but this is a check that can be done easily. If your battery is close to or over 4 years old, it may be time to replace it anyway( when you can check for sales at your leisure). If you drive short trips , especially only at night with all the lights on, you can drain your battery to a point where it will start the vehicle but the power is low in it and the new vehicles need lots of power to run right. It can also affect the performance of the engine systems.
Good luck

#6 ·
Hello, I have another problem with this van, (getting fed up)
I had the master cylinder replaced, almost a year ago, about a month ago it failed,it went to the floor unles pumped, had the shop looked at it, they said it just needed bleeding, lasted about a week, they replaced it with a rebuilt, lasted about another week, they replaced it with a brand new one, lasted about 3 days, had it checked again, and they don't know what is causing this, they bled it Saturday, by Sunday morning, the pedal goes to the floor again. Any idea of what could it be?

#8 · (Edited)
That was my first thought, but the fluid level stays the same, but somehow it is getting air in the system.
I have to keep going to this shop, since the master cylinder is still under warranty, they are doing the work without charge, otherwise I wold have gone to a different one by now!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.