PCM problem

ChryslerMiniVan.net is the premier Chrysler Minivan Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: PCM problem

Thanks

PCM problem

So, all of a sudden today, the 2002 Chrysler Voyager starts acting crazy. Jerking. Shifting into and out of gears up and down erratically. Upshifting, downshifting. Feeling like it was going to stall. Scaring the heck out of the family. Did it all the way home. Did some Googling and it sounds like a bad PCM. Fairly common in these things? Anyone have any experience with this? Does that sound like a PCM problem? What kind of cost am I looking at?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chrysler Minivan Forums
    Advertisements

Thanks

I would check all body grounds between battery, engine and body. Or add new ones to be sure.
    Candy the van. '98 Sport 3.8L 132,200 miles. Used trans at ~96k. Great piece of my life and a fine van.

'69 GTO drop top
    www.facebook.com/people/Andy-Greif/1410438927

Thanks

Happened to me last couple months in my 2003 Grand Caravan. My original PCM had a short that caused the van to die and stall at random times. Had a new PCM installed for $800. But less than a week later it started happening again on top of the shifting issues that you described. I decided to just sell the van and get a 2011. But I would suggest you try and find if there's a reason for the bad PCM. In my case, there was a voltage spike which shorted one of the circuits; if I had kept the van I would have tried to track down why it shorted.

My problems also came with several oxygen sensor codes, so in my case I would have figured a shortage in the heater sensor wires/circuits.
    2011 Chrysler Town & Country Touring | 2008 Toyota Camry Hybrid | 2002 Jaguar X-Type 2.5 AWD | 2003 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

Thanks

Good Lord. $800? Was that at a dealer or an independent shop? I didn't think those things cost that much.

Thanks for the other advice too as to why the PCM may be acting up. I have a very good independent mechanic who likes to diagnose things. I just hope he can pull it off within 2 weeks. I have a fairly long road trip planned for the Voyager in 2 weeks.

Thanks

That was at the dealer. I read around that they can be had much cheaper aftermarket. Installation was only an hour's worth if I remember correctly.
    2011 Chrysler Town & Country Touring | 2008 Toyota Camry Hybrid | 2002 Jaguar X-Type 2.5 AWD | 2003 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

Thanks

please check everything you can before going the replacement PCM route.
    In my case, an overlooked wiring short fried the replacement PCM and I had to get another one.
    The better places can test the PCM.
    Chrysler has a long document on what to check before suspecting the PCM.
    I tested a whole bunch of things before I found my fuel injection wiring harness was bad.
    Once I had everything straightened out, the van has run better than it has in a very long time.
    I had mine tested by an independent shop once I got done, and not the dealer since they overlooked the melted harness in the first place.

Thanks

Very good information. Thanks a bunch guys. I'm gonna start working on this with my mechanic on Monday. I'll let you know how I make out. I'm on a two-week deadline with this road trip in two weeks, so that makes it more fun. LOL

Thanks

here's an interesting question (for whoever tries to sell you a new PCM) this '02 van (pre-NGC) has a separate PCM and TCM, with latter being responsible for all transmission control functions..
    why would a bad PCM cause shifting problems and no engine problems?

read any diagnostic codes, and even if there aren't any - test/replace the input speed sensor.. (if all is well with power and ground distribution)
    relevant vehicle: '05 -=C=- T&C Ltd @~110K

Thanks

Update

Well guys, I'm kinda back to square one. Took the Voyager to my favorite mechanic today (by the way, it ran smooth as silk today) and he ran all sorts of tests on it and could find no codes. I talked to him about everything you guys told me and he checked all that. He couldn't replicate the problem! The damn thing runs smooth as silk today. Took it out on the highway. Cranked it up to 70. Perfect. City driving: perfect too. He said he can't really do anything for something that's running perfect and has no codes (although be believes me about what happened the other day).

I called a Chrysler dealer thinking I'd get a second opinion from a Chrysler guy. He said "if your independent guy found nothing and has no codes, I'm going to turn you away too. Don't waste your money bringing it in."

Nice huh? Now I've got a trip coming up in two weeks and I'm not sure I trust it after Saturday's scary symptoms. But now the dang things is running like a champ! LOL Ideas guys?

Thanks

what was the weather like when it started acting up?
    Any sign of moisture in the air?

+ Reply to Thread