Headlights go out while driving

ChryslerMiniVan.net is the premier Chrysler Minivan Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Headlights go out while driving

Thanks

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

Headlights go out while driving

My 01 T&C LXi has a habit where the lights turn off while driving and is worse with the dial pulled out to turn on the fog lights. To get the lights to come back on I have to push in the dial on the dash, but it often happens a short time later. Any suggestions?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chrysler Minivan Forums
    Advertisements

Thanks

I think the common culprits for this on 4th gens are the switch or problems with the fcm/ distribution center. Hopefully some other 4th gen guru will be able to point you in the right direction, but usually the fuse box and computer bolted to it get corrosion issues.
    Candy the van. '98 Sport 3.8L 132,200 miles. Used trans at ~96k. Great piece of my life and a fine van.

'69 GTO drop top
    www.facebook.com/people/Andy-Greif/1410438927

Thanks

Hardly a guru but if you're jiggling the switch and the lights go erratic, pretty good bet the switch is the culprit. I have read some have disassembled the switch and cleaned it with some success. Seems the grease hardens and prevents the contacts form making contact. These are very cheap switches.
    ******** We took the time to answer your post. Please give us some time and post the fix. You'll help hundreds. ********

**** Follow all prescribed safety procedures before attempting any repairs. If in doubt, refer to a maintenance manual. ****

96 Gr Caravan LE 3.8, 206K miles
    07 Fusion / 06 RAV 4 / 06 Accord / 94 Camry

5. The Following User Says Thank You to RIP For This Useful Post:

dun4now (11-14-2011)

Thanks

My 2001 Grand Caravan has had flickering lights since day one. dealer just shrugged it off as if nothing was wrong. now that it is 10 years old it is more frequent. I beleive there was actaully an something started in the US with the NHTSA (sp?) gor the 4th gen. Any other info would be helpful.

KC.
    2012 VW Routan Highline w/ 3.6 L, 27,000 km.

2001 Dodge Grand Caravan ES w/3.3, 250,000 KM and still going somewhere as it has been sold!

Thanks

found this thread. RIP actually contributed alot to this post.

http://forum.chryslerminivan.net/sho...g+lights+repir

KC.

edit: click on the page 1 on the thread because I posted page 2
    Last edited by ESADORNED; 11-14-2011 at 09:52 PM. Reason: posted page 2
    2012 VW Routan Highline w/ 3.6 L, 27,000 km.

2001 Dodge Grand Caravan ES w/3.3, 250,000 KM and still going somewhere as it has been sold!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to ESADORNED For This Useful Post:

dun4now (11-14-2011)

Thanks

Have seen a multitude of headlamp issues ranging from high beam bad on one side and low beam bad on the other, to the lights not working at all, etc. There are some mating issues at times with the pins in the FCM with the IPM. Sometimes you can take the FCM out and shove it back in and your symptoms will go away. Many times for liability issues I will replace both pieces if I strongly believe there is a warpage issue with the plactic IPM case. That's usually rare though.

Thanks

How do I get the switch off or out? Does that panel around the lights and mirror controls pop out, or do I need to remove part of the dash to get behind there?

Thanks for the help

+ Reply to Thread