The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

Rust on sliding doors

6K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  andyg 
#1 ·
We have quite a bit of rust showing up on the inside bottom of both the side sliding doors of our 06 van. It's the touring model. Has anyone else experienced this and if so, is it a common problem. We're wondering if it's something that might be covered under an extended warranty or something. The van only has 60,000 miles on it. Thanks in advance for any input!!

#2 ·
I've seen some *really* crusty 4th-gens around here (Lansing, MI), most are worse than the 3rd-gens. It seems like Chrysler used poorer quality steel in the 4th-gen construction as well as decontenting the interior. WTG Chrysler :rolleyes:

#4 ·
When I was shopping around for my '05 (about 2 years ago) there wasn't one van I looked at that didn't have rust. Always on the hoods, the rocker panels and the seams of both sliding doors.

#5 ·
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't there a rust perforation warranty that the OP would qualify for? I'm pretty sure it's 5 years or 100k miles... So it being an 06 would depend on when it was bought, would be close.

#6 ·
That warranty only covers rust-through (a.k.a. perforation), so a bit of rust on the inside of the doors wouldn't be covered. My 2000 T&C has very rusty sliding doors, but only on the insides. It'll take a long time for those to rust though. What you have to keep on top of is your rear hatch. The bottom corners will disintegrate and you only know they're gone when you close the door and the piece comes off in your hand.

#7 ·
Per the warranty booklet provided in the vehicle at the time of purchase there is a corrosion warranty. See below:

Corrosion Warranty

This warranty has two time-and-mileage limits:
• For sheet metal panels, the limit is 36 months, with no mileage limit.
• For an outer-body sheet metal panel — one that is finish-painted and that someone can see when walking around the vehicle — the
limits are 5 years or 100,000 miles on the odometer, whichever occurs first.

This warranty covers the cost of all parts and labor needed to repair or replace any sheet metal panels that get holes from rust or other corrosion. If a hole occurs because of something other than corrosion, this warranty does not apply. Cosmetic or surface corrosion — resulting, for example, from stone chips or scratches in the paint — is not covered.

This warranty does not cover corrosion due to fire, accident, vehicle abuse, owner negligence or vehicle alteration; corrosion caused by sand, hail, airborne fallout, chemicals, salt, road hazards, or stone.

#8 ·
This warranty does not cover corrosion due to fire, accident, vehicle abuse, owner negligence or vehicle alteration; corrosion caused by sand, hail, airborne fallout, chemicals, salt, road hazards, or stone.
Airborne fallout?!?! Really?!?!

#10 ·
The settling to the ground of airborne particles ejected into the atmosphere from the earth by explosions, eruptions, forest fires, factory emissions, etc. that cause corrosion is not considered a defect in product materials or workmanship and therefore isn't considered as "warrantable".

#13 ·
Yep, I've seen ash damage and it is quite obvious that all the stains and paint damaged dots were ash. Having dots all over the place is a big key. A spot on a rocker panel or side of the vehicle is certainly not airborne damage.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.