Rust on sliding doors

ChryslerMiniVan.net is the premier Chrysler Minivan Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Rust on sliding doors

Thanks

Rust on sliding doors

We have quite a bit of rust showing up on the inside bottom of both the side sliding doors of our 06 van. It's the touring model. Has anyone else experienced this and if so, is it a common problem. We're wondering if it's something that might be covered under an extended warranty or something. The van only has 60,000 miles on it. Thanks in advance for any input!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chrysler Minivan Forums
    Advertisements

Thanks

I've seen some *really* crusty 4th-gens around here (Lansing, MI), most are worse than the 3rd-gens. It seems like Chrysler used poorer quality steel in the 4th-gen construction as well as decontenting the interior. WTG Chrysler
    2000 Chrysler Town & Country 3.3 - Gold (but not for long) - 173,000 miles

Thanks

My 05 Limited was showing signs of rust at the bottom in the seams of the sliders when I sold it. But it had 150k km on it at that time.

Thanks

When I was shopping around for my '05 (about 2 years ago) there wasn't one van I looked at that didn't have rust. Always on the hoods, the rocker panels and the seams of both sliding doors.
    If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer!!

Current ride:
    2005 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT (3.8L, purchased at 108,000kms. Now at 166,000km and counting)

Past rides:
    1997 Dodge Caravan Rallye (3.3L 242,000kms)
    2002 Chevrolet Cavalier (Base Model)
    1988 Ford Ranger (2.9L 2wd)
    1973 Dodge Cornet Wagon (318 cid)
    1965 Rambler Classic 550 4 dr (232 cid)
    1966 Rambler Classic 55 Wagon (232 cid)

Thanks

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't there a rust perforation warranty that the OP would qualify for? I'm pretty sure it's 5 years or 100k miles... So it being an 06 would depend on when it was bought, would be close.
    Candy the van. '98 Sport 3.8L 132,200 miles. Used trans at ~96k. Great piece of my life and a fine van.

'69 GTO drop top
    www.facebook.com/people/Andy-Greif/1410438927

Thanks

That warranty only covers rust-through (a.k.a. perforation), so a bit of rust on the inside of the doors wouldn't be covered. My 2000 T&C has very rusty sliding doors, but only on the insides. It'll take a long time for those to rust though. What you have to keep on top of is your rear hatch. The bottom corners will disintegrate and you only know they're gone when you close the door and the piece comes off in your hand.
    2000 Chrysler Town & Country 3.3 - Gold (but not for long) - 173,000 miles

Thanks

Per the warranty booklet provided in the vehicle at the time of purchase there is a corrosion warranty. See below:

Corrosion Warranty

This warranty has two time-and-mileage limits:
    • For sheet metal panels, the limit is 36 months, with no mileage limit.
    • For an outer-body sheet metal panel — one that is finish-painted and that someone can see when walking around the vehicle — the
    limits are 5 years or 100,000 miles on the odometer, whichever occurs first.

This warranty covers the cost of all parts and labor needed to repair or replace any sheet metal panels that get holes from rust or other corrosion. If a hole occurs because of something other than corrosion, this warranty does not apply. Cosmetic or surface corrosion — resulting, for example, from stone chips or scratches in the paint — is not covered.

This warranty does not cover corrosion due to fire, accident, vehicle abuse, owner negligence or vehicle alteration; corrosion caused by sand, hail, airborne fallout, chemicals, salt, road hazards, or stone.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ChryslerCares View Post
    This warranty does not cover corrosion due to fire, accident, vehicle abuse, owner negligence or vehicle alteration; corrosion caused by sand, hail, airborne fallout, chemicals, salt, road hazards, or stone.
    Airborne fallout?!?! Really?!?!
    If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer!!

Current ride:
    2005 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT (3.8L, purchased at 108,000kms. Now at 166,000km and counting)

Past rides:
    1997 Dodge Caravan Rallye (3.3L 242,000kms)
    2002 Chevrolet Cavalier (Base Model)
    1988 Ford Ranger (2.9L 2wd)
    1973 Dodge Cornet Wagon (318 cid)
    1965 Rambler Classic 550 4 dr (232 cid)
    1966 Rambler Classic 55 Wagon (232 cid)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kenmore63 View Post
    As odd as it sounds, in very industrial cities, this is a problem. Though not as much in recent years as new regulations on factory emissions have helped.
    Candy the van. '98 Sport 3.8L 132,200 miles. Used trans at ~96k. Great piece of my life and a fine van.

'69 GTO drop top
    www.facebook.com/people/Andy-Greif/1410438927

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kenmore63 View Post
    The settling to the ground of airborne particles ejected into the atmosphere from the earth by explosions, eruptions, forest fires, factory emissions, etc. that cause corrosion is not considered a defect in product materials or workmanship and therefore isn't considered as "warrantable".

+ Reply to Thread