The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

Accessory power stays on without key in ignition

16K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  FabricGATOR 
#1 ·
I have a 2003 Caravan that is experiencing some electrical issues. When I turn the key to the "off" position and take the key out, the accessory power (stereo) stays on and the van makes a "dinging" noise as if the lights are on. When the doors are closed, everything stops / turns off. I think this issue is draining battery power.

Any advice?

#2 ·
On my 99 the key wore so much that I was inadvertently removing the key while it was in ACC rather than off. I had a new key cut from an original unworn key and the problem was solved.

Frank
96 Grand Voyager retired
99 DGC Sport retired at 137K miles (still running fine for my friend)
07 T&C SWB with 35300 miles

#4 ·
Stereo staying on for 1 minute, or until you open the door, is normal operation. The dinging isn't.

#7 ·
Well the dinging is normal IF the door is opened, radio turns off and the key is in the ignition.

Having the ding ding ding and radio on with the door open or closed is not normal.

My old 2005 SXT had this problem along with a zillion other electrical gremlins. The ignition switch got so bad, that putting anything in it and turned would start the vehicle. Even a wooden popsicle stick!

I do believe it was the pulling of the key out while in ACC like Flavife mentioned.

For a 2003 to do this is interesting to say the least. 2005 was horrible for stuff like that.

#11 ·
That may be the courtesy lighting so you can get yourself all put together and find where to put the key.

What is your year, make, model, engine, mileage

The trim level will tell us how "special" your van is
Mine is a very fancy van, indeed.

#9 ·
How about a bad door switch that thinks the door is open (or doesn't realize the door has been opened)

Myself, I can't get in the van through the driver door lock using key without setting off the alarm system. One of these days I will open that door and figure out why it doesn't realize a permitted key unlocking/
I should ask the community... you guys ROCK!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.