The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

Where does it keep going?

2K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  JamaicaMeCrazy 
#1 ·
i have lost 3 a/c belts in as many weeks, and i noticed that the a/c idler pulley gets so hot that you cant even touch it....now i know that could be attributed to the belt slipping, but in my case that isnt so cuz the compressor pulley, not the engine pulley are even remotely close to being warm, nevermind hot:confused: ...to make a long question short, could it be my idler pulley bering getting ready to go (no noises from it yet) causing the belts to overheat and break, or am i missing something completly? :ask_wsign

#3 ·
i thought of that, and turned the compressor with my hand and it didnt take any effort...but considering how close tolerances are nowadays who knows...i sure hope it is the idler pulley, 10 bucks is much more affordable than 1000 or more :cry:

#4 ·
That definitely sounds like some friction on the idler pully. The idler should never run hot enough that you can't touch it.

I changed my wife's idler and it was only warm even though the engine had been run very recently.

The exhaust manifold WAS warm I may add!!! OUCH.

Chas

#5 ·
i'm just gonna buck up and change the pulley tomorrow (after the nascar race of course:thumb: )....and dont worry, i know first hand (literally :eek: ) to keep away from the hot parts of the engine

#7 ·
i actualy did that during the winter; i knew that about the tensioners from first hand experience of the 'serp' belt flyin off when ever a snow flake hit it :jpshakehe , and it's been fine ever since:) ....i've ran into a wee bit $$$ trouble since i created this thread, so i have yet to try replacing the a/c idler pulley, fortunatly the weather's been such that i have no need for a/c yet...i'll be sure to report the success or failure of my attempt as soon as i get to it :thumb:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.