can the transaxle quick learn be performed by a diy mechanic?

ChryslerMiniVan.net is the premier Chrysler Minivan Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: can the transaxle quick learn be performed by a diy mechanic?

Thanks

can the transaxle quick learn be performed by a diy mechanic?

Hey guys, I have 2002 grand caravan with a 3.3 engine in it. I have a couple of questions..........shes leaking around the solonoid module on the transaxle. The service manual says that after changing the module, the transaxle requires a quick learn. so, my question is...........what happens if you change the module without doing a quick learn? Can you do the quick learn without taking it to the shop? (on another forum, some one said the quicklearn was the same thing as unhooking the battery terminals and touching them together---------is this true?) Thanks for the info!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chrysler Minivan Forums
    Advertisements

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by stevebo View Post
    Hey guys, I have 2002 grand caravan with a 3.3 engine in it. I have a couple of questions..........shes leaking around the solonoid module on the transaxle. The service manual says that after changing the module, the transaxle requires a quick learn. so, my question is...........what happens if you change the module without doing a quick learn? Can you do the quick learn without taking it to the shop? (on another forum, some one said the quicklearn was the same thing as unhooking the battery terminals and touching them together---------is this true?) Thanks for the info!
    You can drive it and let it relearn the shifting procedure. It might be a bit of a bumpy shift while it learns.
    2000 Caravan 3 L. 17-20 MPG. 134,000 klm. New tranny at 97 K. Tires are P205 70R14 Bridgstone M+S. 123,800 KM. replaced tensioner pulley, serpentine belt, and power steering pulley.
    Old reliable - 1982 Dodge Ram Long Box 318 Auto 3 speed transmission 66 K.

Thanks

Here's something to do without the drbIII. Change the pack, lift the whole front end (or whole car if awd) and run the trans through the full gear range a few times. Manually shift it up and down and very gently apply the brakes to slow the wheels down. You won't need to press the gas much, but after doing this a few times it will be good to drive. When driving, it will take a few more key cycles and drives to fully smooth out. I've done this a few times with no trouble, but do it at your own risk, and use jack stands.
    Candy the van. '98 Sport 3.8L 132,200 miles. Used trans at ~96k. Great piece of my life and a fine van.

'69 GTO drop top
    www.facebook.com/people/Andy-Greif/1410438927

5. The Following User Says Thank You to andyg For This Useful Post:

dun4now (08-18-2011)

Thanks

Lot of good info at this thread:

http://forum.chryslerminivan.net/sho...031#post102031

I have done two transmission changes now (41TE) and neither one required the TCM to be flashed. A hint that will allow the new installation to just drive away normally without a trip to the dealer - bring it up to operating temperature before even starting the engine.

Use heat lamps and blankets to raise the transaxle and block to around 140-150. The ATF and the metal mass of the transmission will be near normal operating viscosity/temp. At that point, while it is still nice and warm, do your priming procedure (reverse to park to drive to neutral ....).

Thanks

I asked my brother who worked at the local Chrysler dealer about the "quick learn" procedure, and he told me that it just uses the diagnostic computer to set the transmission to baseline/default shift pattern (like new), thus shortening its learning process. It still has to learn your driving habits and adjust, but it is much quicker than the DIY method of cycling between the gears and driving it around because it doesn't have to learn how to shift, as well as learn your driving style. I drove mine around after replacing the solenoid. It shifted like crap at first, but eventually worked itself out after about 10 minutes. After a few days, it smoothed out completely.

Neil
    97 T&C AWD

Thanks

On the old Chrysler transmissions it would suggest doing a series of start, run-up and stop procedures to relearn the transmission. It consisted of 5 in a row of each: 0-15, 0-25, 0-40, 0-50 0-70, or something close. It was just doing what you would normally do over a series of days. I would just drive it normally, like you want it to learn, and in a weeks time it will be set.
    2005 T&C Ltd 3.8 69k
    2000 Caravan 2.4l
    1990 Grand Caravan 3.3 149,000 owned 15yrs 4 trannies
    1990 Dynasty 3.0 120k 1 tranny 4yrs
    1981 Dodge Aries 2.6 only new car I ever bought 225k orig 11yrs
    1966 Dodge Coronet 440 Wagon, way old 1 yr. 135$ (Had to borrow it at the bank!)
    1964 Simca 1000 (bought for $10 rebored) 50k 4yrs
    1965 Ply Valiant V8 85k
    1964 Ply Valiant Wagon slant 6 200k 1 qt/200 miles
    1969 Corvair convertible 4 carb

+ Reply to Thread