The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

Front Wheel humming noise - Does K19 recall apply to me?

54K views 31 replies 13 participants last post by  abutcher01@yahoo.com 
#1 ·
Good morning, i have a 2008 TC Touring. I've recently noticed an increase in sound of some kind of humming coming from the front area. The sound seems to get louder relative to how fast i'm going. Through some research here i came across the K19 Recall Notice for bearings noises which require replacement. I have my VIN and put it into the chrysler link and notice there is no recall for my vehicle. I believe this to be related but if i can't find it, i would figure my dealer may say "Not applicable" even though i can clearly hear it getting louder and louder. It says it applies to vehicles built Dec1 07 to feb38 08. How do i know when my van was built and even if its out of the window would chrylser take care of me or tell me to pack sand?

thanks

#2 ·
UPDATE: i just looked and my van was built in Canada and built Oct of 07. Does that mean that good parts where put prior to Dec 01? How is it that "Older" build doesn't apply when it appears to have the same exact problem. I've done 4 recalls so far and sounds to me like this one should apply too? what recourse do i have?

#3 ·
You can try to call Chrysler's customer care line. They will be your best bet. The dealer will not be able to perform the recall unless your vehicle has the recall open. Since your van does not, Chrysler is your best option.

#4 ·
Well i have done exactly that. They were nice, courteous and have opened a case to see what they can do. I hope that I can get some help here since i don't know how long the bearings last? Which leads me to that question. What is worse case scenario while i wait to get this fixed. Money isn't exactly flowing right now. Would it grind to a halt? not that i want to wait for that.

thanks

#5 ·
Does someone know what states the K-19 TSB applies to. My 2008 GC was built in January 2008, but I looked on a website about it, and it said that it made a difference what state it was in. I bought it in Texas and it is registered in New Mexico. I have never gotten a recall notice and the Chrysler website does not show that my VIN # is due one. It said to look in Owner's notification and service scheduling to find a list of the states, but I never could find a way to do that. I had a wheel bearing go out at about 35,000 miles (before the recall). They just replaced the bearing on one side. The recall calls for both bearings and hubs to be replaced.

#6 ·
Customer Satisfaction Notification K19
Front Wheel Bearings

2008 (RT) Dodge Grand Caravan and Chrysler Town & Country
NOTE: This notification applies only to the above vehicles built from December 01, 2007 through February 28, 2008 .

SUBJECT: The front wheel bearings on about 52,600 of the above vehicles may develop a growling or grinding noise. The bearing noise may increase or decrease during turning maneuvers.

REPAIR: The front wheel bearings must be replaced on all involved vehicles.

#7 ·
Well, i just got called from my dealer and all i have to do is pay a $50.00 deductible and they will cover the rest. It was the bearings and like Mr. jgBat said, contact customer support. I politely told them my situation, i told them my vehicle seems to have the same problem as this recall but my VIN per say didn't have the recall available because it was built two months earlier. They opened a case and contacted my dealership. Dropped of the car this morning and they coordinated, calling me back stating that they will take care of the balance and all i have is a 50.00 deductible.
Impressive to say the least. So to Mr. civie, i suggest calling customer care too and see if they can open a case. They are going to ask if you've had it seen by a chrysler dealer, you can tell them you will take it in. I hope your experience goes as well as mine. :)

#8 ·
Thanks Jaguar3d

Thank you, Jaguar3d. Mine is not bad yet, but it seems like I hear the sound occasionally. Before when I heard the noise occasionally, I took it in just before I went on vacation. They couldn't find anything. Before I went a hundred miles it got pretty noisy all the time. I kept traveling until I got to where I have reservations. Then I found out the nearest dealer was about 50 miles away. I took it in on Friday and they immediately found the bearing bad. They didn't have one so I had to come back on Monday. I was afraid to drive very much so we just relaxed, but not so good for vacation. Hopefully I will be closer to a dealer if it gets bad enough to detect. Thank you very much.

#9 ·
Well i hope it works out for you civie,

I had a question though, does anyone know what is included in the bearing change? I noticed brand new still glossy equipment near the break lines. In fact if i am correct i noticed bigger pads? i noticed a different set of calipers. Is all this part of the bearings being changed? i'm just curious, not that i'm complaining because maybe they made an improvement. I can take pictures, but they look like new black glossy hard lines, not sure what to make of it but it was all taken care of with a 50.00 deductible.

#10 ·
All they do is replace the hub/bearing assembly. Maybe your just noticing where they cleaned everything up after the install? They do have to remove the caliper, caliper bracket, brake pads, and brake rotors to do the bearings...

#13 ·
I checked and front wheel bearing/hub assemblies are not covered by the 100,000 mile powertrain warranty on my 2010. So I also checked to see if they are covered by the limited lifetime powertrain warranty on vehicle's that have the limited lifetime powertrain warranty. They are not.

#15 ·
Parts Covered Under Chrysler Group Lifetime Powertrain Warranty:

Please do not fail to get the required Inspections to keep the Lifetime Powertrain Warranty active.

In order to maintain the Lifetime Powertrain Limited Warranty, the person or entity covered by this Powertrain Limited Warranty must have a powertrain inspection performed by an authorized Chrysler, Dodge, or Jeep dealer once every 5 years. This inspection will be performed at no charge. The inspection must be made within sixty (60) days of each 5 year anniversary of the in-service date of the vehicle. You must have the inspection performed to continue this coverage.

The Lifetime Powertrain Limited Warranty covers these parts and components of your vehicle’s powertrain supplied by Chrysler Motors LLC:

Gasoline Engine: cylinder block and all internal parts; cylinder head assemblies; timing case, timing chain, timing belt, gears and sprockets; vibration damper; oil pump; water pump and housing; intake and exhaust manifolds; flywheel with starter ring gear; core plugs; valve covers; oil pan; turbocharger housing and internal parts; turbocharger wastegate actuator; supercharger; serpentine belt tensioner; seals and gaskets for listed components only.

Transmission: transmission case and all internal parts; torque converter; drive/flex plate; transmission range switch; transmission control module; bell housing; oil pan; seals and gaskets for listed components only. NOTE: MANUAL TRANSMISSION CLUTCH PARTS ARE NOT COVERED AT ANY TIME.

Front Wheel Drive: transaxle case and all internal parts; axle shaft assemblies; constant velocity joints and boots; differential cover; oil pan; transaxle speed sensors; transaxle solenoid assembly; PRNDL position switch; transaxle electronic controller; torque converter; seals and gaskets for listed components only. NOTE: MANUAL TRANSMISSION CLUTCH PARTS ARE NOT COVERED AT ANY TIME.

All Wheel Drive (AWD): power transfer unit and all internal parts; viscous coupler; axle housing and all internal parts; constant velocity joints and boots; driveshaft and axle shaft assemblies; differential carrier assembly and all internal parts; output ball bearing; output flange; end cover; overrunning clutch; vacuum motor; torque tube; pinion spacer and shim, seals and gaskets for listed components only.

Rear Wheel Drive: rear axle housing and all internal parts; axle shafts; axle shaft bearings; drive shaft assemblies; drive shaft center bearings; universal joints and yokes; seals and gaskets for listed components only.

Four-Wheel Drive (4X4): transfer case and all internal parts; transfer case control module and shift mode motor assembly; axle housing and all internal parts; axle shafts; axle shaft bearings; drive shafts assemblies (front and rear); drive shaft center bearings; universal joints and yokes; disconnect housing assembly; seals and gaskets for the listed components only.

Hope this clears up any questions on component coverage for the Lifetime Limited Powertrain Warranty.

#17 ·
I have 56,000 miles on my T&C. I just replaced the front rotors and pads. Now, when driving in the subdivision at fairly low speed (35mph zone,) I hear a lot of racket coming from the front wheel area. If I depress the brake pedal, the noise stops. If I ride with the brakes ever so slightly engaged, the noise stops. Its worse going over bumps. It sounds like rattling sheet metal.

I jacked up the driver's side and checked to make sure that everything that I did was tight. The dust shield looks like its held on with 3 bolts. If I flick it with my fingernail, it rattles like an old hub cap. I checked and all 3 of the 10mm bolts that hold it on are tight. The driver's side sounds "tinnier" than the passenger side. Is it me, or my imagination that its making a racket only now, after the brake job ? I am concerned that this may be a wheel bearing problem starting to crop up. I dunno what else down there would make that rattly sheet meal sound, but I have not heard many wheel bearings going bad, either. I do not really notice it at higher speed, but then the windows are generally up, and the van is darn loud altogether.

#18 ·
I just had my front bearings replaced on my 08 GC. For what it's worth my van did not fall under the dates for k19 and it is out of warranty has 42k miles on it. Anyway Chrysler covered everything. I just made sure that when I made my appt. I let them know I new about K19 and that I knew there were issues with the bearings-so all in all I am happy with my dealership.

#19 ·
pokman,

At 42K miles I'm glad to hear that your dealer made the proper call and billed Chrysler for the repair as an out of warranty goodwill claim.

#20 ·
chrysler cares,

I was pretty happy with them-they have been good to me so far and seem like they really want to try and help the customers. It's funny because my dealership also has a Toyota branch also and I have brought my Tundra in now and then for things and I can't stand going their, they are all condesending and rude and act like your wasting their time.

#21 ·
That's music to my ears pokman,

Chrysler has always empowered it's dealerships to make out of warranty calls to keep the customer from having to call Chrysler only to have the customer care agent call the same dealer where the problem originated. Chrysler has been emphasizing the point at dealer council meetings to "do the right thing" over the past few years and it sounds like our dealerships are becoming more comfortable in making these types of decisions.

Thanks for sharing your experience.

#22 ·
had the same issue.....we looked at ours and it had the manf. date one day short of the day the began the recall(the recall was for dec 1 and ours was built on nov 30-a friday) ended up paying for the bearings and got the notice today that they are extending the warrenty on the bearings! nice.....i think that we will be pulling out the reciept and trying to get our money back....

#23 ·
Mail the reciept to Chrysler. They will remburse you. **Jeff whispering** ((if you can't find your reciept, the dealer that did the work can print you a copy)) :thumb:

#24 ·
jimandjen,

You can mail or email your receipts and proof of payment for full reimbursement if your vehicle is involved in the warranty extension.

#25 ·
Email is ok? I was told by the friendly gentleman on the phone that I had to mail in the original receipts. He emphasized that they had to be original, and that I should make a copy prior to sending them. Given the emphasis on 'original' I started wondering if I should send them registered mail because if they were lost I wouldn't get any money back. Thoughts?

#26 ·
jgiuirlo,

Yep email will work. I went through this with the brake issue. Email Chrysler and let them know what happened, they will email you back directions on what to do. You will have to scan and send in copies of all receipts. It will take about 2-3 weeks and you should get a check from Chrylser-by the way if I was you I would have raised **** at your dealership for not covering this one day out of warranty. Make sure you let Chrysler know about that. Good luck

#27 ·
jgiurilo,

pokman is exactly right. Send an email with the following listing in the Brief Description Area:

"X35 Repair Reimbursement - Request for Electronic Document Submission Link"

You will receive a response with directions on how to submit a scanned copy of the receipts and proof of payment.

#30 ·
I have done some searching online and found from this site that the K19 recall applies to vehicles with the VIN number 120100 to 022818. My van's vin number falls within this range, and had the exact same problem that this recall was issued for. And yet, I have not received a recall notice. WHen I contacted Chrysler Canada, and they discovered that my minivan was originally purchased in the US and is now registered in Canada, I was basically told to just have a nice day. I drive my minivan with my two little children in it almost daily and I would appreciate Chrysler honouring this recall for my van, for the safety of my little ones. I was told by Chrysler Canada that this recall was "VIN specific", which I think is complete garbage. Only certain vehicles in the assembly line were given the defective parts? This does not make sense.
I've emailed and phone Chrysler in both Canada and the US as well as my local dealership. My local dealership said that both wheel bearings ahd to be replaced, without even looking at my vehicle and that the bill would be $800+. Would they actually always have to replace both wheel bearings or is this jsut becasue they know both are recalled? WHy is it such an issue for Chrysler to honour things in Canada? Any alternative avenues I can explore to get this covered under the recall?
This will definitely be the last and only vehicle I purchase from Chrysler.

#31 ·
Keep in mind that most (all?) manufacturers refuse to perform warranty service on cars bought in the States and then imported to Canada (or vica versa). I suspect if you were to take your van back to the selling dealer they'd be happy to perform the recall work for you.

#32 ·
I started hearing the humming at 50+ mph on my 2008 Caravan, took it in the dealer and they replaced both front bearings. It started making noise at about 100,000 miles.

I have the lifetime maintenance agreement, so I only had to pay a $100 deductible. I called customer service and my model is not covered under the recall.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.