99 Town and Country Limited - Won't Start (on occasion)

ChryslerMiniVan.net is the premier Chrysler Minivan Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 99 Town and Country Limited - Won't Start (on occasion)

Thanks

99 Town and Country Limited - Won't Start (on occasion)

This has happened twice in about a month. Go out to start up the old van, turn the key, gauges are dead, won't turn over, but everything else works (fan, lights, radio, etc). Let it sit for a couple of days the first time then it fired right up. Happened again last weekend, couldn't get it started and had it towed to the shop. Guy calls me today and says it fired right up, no error codes, and doesn't know what the problem is.

Any ideas?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chrysler Minivan Forums
    Advertisements

Thanks

Also should add I hear the relays clicking in the fuse box....

Thanks

Next time it does it, bang on the top of the dash (over the instrument cluster) and see if it starts. There is a soldered connection behind the instrument cluster near the top of it, that cracks and causes problems like yours. Some have fixed it by heating up the pins and reflowing the solder.
    DAN(husband of member STEPHANIE)

2000 Chrysler Town & Country Limited - Dark Charcoal Metallic with chrome trim, taupe leather interior, loaded. In need of rust repair on rockers and liftgate. Now enjoying the new family mommy-mobile!

Knowledge can never be wisdom without experience.
    "Your experience is a commodity."
    "Opportunity is not a lengthy visitor."
    DRIVE = LOVE

Thanks

I wouldn't think that a loose connection in the instrument cluster would prevent the vehicle from starting. (I could be wrong). I would be checking the battery connections.
    If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer!!

Current ride:
    2005 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT (3.8L, purchased at 108,000kms. Now at 166,000km and counting)

Past rides:
    1997 Dodge Caravan Rallye (3.3L 242,000kms)
    2002 Chevrolet Cavalier (Base Model)
    1988 Ford Ranger (2.9L 2wd)
    1973 Dodge Cornet Wagon (318 cid)
    1965 Rambler Classic 550 4 dr (232 cid)
    1966 Rambler Classic 55 Wagon (232 cid)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kenmore63 View Post
    I wouldn't think that a loose connection in the instrument cluster would prevent the vehicle from starting. (I could be wrong). I would be checking the battery connections.
    Dan is correct. The instrument cluster can produce these non-start symptoms. Bang on the dash.
    98 Town&Country LXI, 3.8L, 192k miles (sold)

Thanks

For what it's worth, when I had this happen to my 1996- I thought it was the bad solder joints in the dash as well. But it actually ended up being a bad starter motor. When it worked, it started right up, no odd noises or clicks normally associated with a bad starter. But when it didn't, wouldn't make a sound and everything else would come on in the van, but the engine wouldn't start or crank. The starter is really easy to take out and have tested.
    1996 Chrysler Town & Country LX [My lovable Daily-Driver]
    2000 Chrysler Town & Country Limited [Yes, it's still around!]
    2000 Chrysler 300M [New kid on the block...]

Thanks

I would almost guarantee it is the solder issue. I did mine several months ago and no problems since. There is a good write up with pics somewhere on the net on how to do it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gwolff View Post
    Also should add I hear the relays clicking in the fuse box....
    Are you sure the clicks you're hearing aren't from the starter solenoid? Usually, when the denso starters in these vehicles begin to fail, they will work intermittently and when they don't, they will just make a clicking sound. I repaired mine easily for less than $5 by just replacing the starter solenoid contacts. The contacts are usually the only things that fail in these starters. If the clicking is coming from the starter, you can google "denso starter solenoid contacts" and will find lots of info on how to repair them. Let me know if you need any help.

Thanks

Yup sounds odd but it is the case. Has all to do with the CCD data bus of which the instrument cluster is a major player.
    ******** We took the time to answer your post. Please give us some time and post the fix. You'll help hundreds. ********

**** Follow all prescribed safety procedures before attempting any repairs. If in doubt, refer to a maintenance manual. ****

96 Gr Caravan LE 3.8, 208K miles
    07 Fusion / 06 RAV 4 / 06 Accord / 94 Camry

Thanks

Nothing wrong with checking the battery connections. I would even have the battery load tested. To at least partially answer your doubts about the cluster issue:

Yup sounds odd but it is the case. Has all to do with the CCD data bus of which the instrument cluster is a major player. A failure anywhere on the data bus can create symptoms in seemingly unrelated systems. For instance some 5th generation vans have had their instrument clusters go blank because of a shorted wire in the power sliding door wire harness. The doors have a control module connected on the data bus. Who woulda thought.
    ******** We took the time to answer your post. Please give us some time and post the fix. You'll help hundreds. ********

**** Follow all prescribed safety procedures before attempting any repairs. If in doubt, refer to a maintenance manual. ****

96 Gr Caravan LE 3.8, 208K miles
    07 Fusion / 06 RAV 4 / 06 Accord / 94 Camry

+ Reply to Thread