No complaints - Just Another Great Day with the ever reliable Caravan

ChryslerMiniVan.net is the premier Chrysler Minivan Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: No complaints - Just Another Great Day with the ever reliable Caravan

Thanks

No complaints - Just Another Great Day with the ever reliable Caravan

No problems to report.

187,000+ miles and she runs like new, looks new. Stops like a Lamborghini, gets up to 27+ mpg and rides like a $200,000 motor home.

These things are virtually indestructible. Chrysler ROCKS

I think proper maintenance is the key.

Any vehicle improperly maintained or neglected is gonna fail. Whether it's a Space Shuttle or a Dodge Town & Country. You gotta spend a little on it.
    1999 Grand Caravan SE
    2006 Caravan SXT
    My own Personal Maintenance Site - minivan.tech
    By invitation Only

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mistypotato For This Useful Post:

dun4now(07-18-2011), greensleeves(07-18-2011), jgbat(07-19-2011)

3. Remove Advertisements
    Chrysler Minivan Forums
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by mistypotato View Post
    No problems to report.

187,000+ miles and she runs like new, looks new. Stops like a Lamborghini, gets up to 27+ mpg and rides like a $200,000 motor home.

These things are virtually indestructible. Chrysler ROCKS

I think proper maintenance is the key.

Any vehicle improperly maintained or neglected is gonna fail. Whether it's a Space Shuttle or a Dodge Town & Country. You gotta spend a little on it.
    Times two and mine is the 3 liter base model, cheaper on insurance here.
    2000 Caravan 3 L. 17-20 MPG. 134,000 klm. New tranny at 97 K. 143,800 KM. replaced tensioner pulley, serpentine belt, and power steering pulley, brake light switch.
    Old reliable - 1982 Dodge Ram Long Box 318 Auto 3 speed transmission 66 K.

Mine was a disappointment today. Since it has been sitting a lot recently, the used-to-be amazing brakes have diminished to near nothing. I think the failing brake lines and master cylinder wear are at fault. I just don't want to spend any more money on it.

On a positive note, the a/c performed nicely in the 95+ degree and highly humid heat. Its ALL factory original too.
    Candy the van. '98 Sport 3.8L 132,200 miles. Used trans at ~96k. Great piece of my life and a fine van.

'69 GTO drop top
    www.facebook.com/people/Andy-Greif/1410438927

Thanks

Stops like a Lamborghini,
    That would be a Lamborghini with greased brake pads?? jk
    98 Town&Country LXI, 3.8L, 192k miles (sold)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to 98t&c For This Useful Post:

hypervish(07-19-2011)

Yup, have to agree. I've never had a break down. It has always gotton from A to B. It's got good power (3.8) and the versitality (is that a word) can't be beat. That said, when I got mine in 95 the fit and finish was abysmal and it took 11 trips to the dealer to correct everything under warranty. 200K miles later I'm living with a dead A/C, persnicketty power windows front and rear, ghost wipers, a leaky tranny, and once in a very great while a dead cluster. Got a love hate relashionship with this wonder wagon. It's still in my driveway.

Oh, and there's that government bailout issue that keeps me from buying another Chrysler Corp product. Oh and catching Chrysler workers red handed guzzling down brews and smokin the weed in a parking lot twice over the last year sure doesn't help. Talk about a group of boneheaded neanderthals. All that's for another thread.
    Last edited by RIP; 07-19-2011 at 07:13 PM.
    ******** We took the time to answer your post. Please give us some time and post the fix. You'll help hundreds. ********

**** Follow all prescribed safety procedures before attempting any repairs. If in doubt, refer to a maintenance manual. ****

96 Gr Caravan LE 3.8, 214K miles
    07 Fusion / 06 RAV 4 / 06 Accord

Thanks

dun4now, greensleeves and jgbat

Thank you kindly for the Thanks
    1999 Grand Caravan SE
    2006 Caravan SXT
    By invitation Only

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 98t&c View Post
    That would be a Lamborghini with greased brake pads?? jk
    Well, ok, a Chrysler minivan would probably require $7,000 in braking and wheel / tire modifications to stop like a Lamborghini per se.

But the point is that for a minivan, it stops unbelievably hard and straight. To the point it's almost scary. I've joked about popping the front windshield out it stops so hard.
    It crossed my mind the first time I did a panic stop with the brakes working as they are right now. True it would never happen. But that is how hard it stops.
    On dry pavement. I do not believe I would hit a car that was even one car length ahead of me that slammed on it's brakes. In fact, in South Carolina once it happened, and the van was overloaded
    with about 1500lbs of equipment. A young girl didn't like that I was not moving along fast enough for her accelerating up the onramp and after getting on the expressway and up to 60mph, she jumped RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME and slammed her brakes on. Not once, but 3 times. I didnt have the acceleration to get away from her smaller faster car.

Each time the Caravan was able to stop before hitting her car.

I thought I was gonna die in a rear end collision as there were trucks and other traffic passing. Yes, I notified the South Carolina Highway Patrol.
    Anything less than outstanding brakes and there would have been a collision or rollover.

So, the brakes can be awesome.
    Remember, I've done this in the minivan after getting off my sportbike which definitely WILL stop like a Lamborghini.
    I also have a 300zx which is no slouch in the stopping department either. (Not Lamborghini class stopping I agree, but well above average).
    1999 Grand Caravan SE
    2006 Caravan SXT
    By invitation Only

Well, ok, a Chrysler minivan would probably require $7,000 in braking and wheel / tire modifications to stop like a Lamborghini per se.

But the point is that for a minivan, it stops unbelievably hard and straight. To the point it's almost scary. I've joked about popping the front windshield out it stops so hard.
    It crossed my mind the first time I did a panic stop with the brakes working as they are right now. True it would never happen. But that is how hard it stops.
    On dry pavement. I do not believe I would hit a car that was even one car length ahead of me that slammed on it's brakes. In fact, in South Carolina once it happened, and the van was overloaded
    with about 1500lbs of equipment. A young girl didn't like that I was not moving along fast enough for her accelerating up the onramp and after getting on the expressway and up to 60mph, she jumped RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME and slammed her brakes on. Not once, but 3 times. I didnt have the acceleration to get away from her smaller faster car.

Each time the Caravan was able to stop before hitting her car.

I thought I was gonna die in a rear end collision as there were trucks and other traffic passing. Yes, I notified the South Carolina Highway Patrol.
    Anything less than outstanding brakes and there would have been a collision or rollover.

So, the brakes can be awesome.
    Remember, I've done this in the minivan after getting off my sportbike which definitely WILL stop like a Lamborghini.
    I also have a 300zx which is no slouch in the stopping department either. (Not Lamborghini class stopping I agree, but well above average).
    There MUST have been something change over in 1998 for these brake systems. I think andy said he has no issues with his brakes like me and some have described, but he had a different brand of brake booster. Under hard stopping conditions, especially, it feels like another car is behind the van pushing it (as someone on here described it). My brakes SUCK. I can push the pedal to the floor and not much happens when compared to the 2003 Town & Country my friend had. My dad's Ram, on the other hand, will throw you through the windshield.
    2013 Infiniti G37x 32,000 miles VQ37VHR; 1999 Nissan Altima GLE KA24DE 220,000 Miles
    Prev. 97 T&C LXi 184k 3.8, 94 T&C 3.8 156k Miles, 93 GV LE 3.3 123k

Thanks

Ok.

Not sure but yeah, my Caravan stops like your Dad's RAM. It's almost absurd.

I GUARANTEE if you weren't seat belted and there was no windshield I could eject you like a Tomahawk missile.
    Actually, the windshield would probably get pushed out from the force of your weight. So I revise that.

The only cars I would be concerned about not being able to stop for in case they jammed on the brakes in front of me would be a 96 and later Vette, Porsche or someting like that.

I have no idea why it stops so good. It just does.
    1999 Grand Caravan SE
    2006 Caravan SXT
    By invitation Only

I don't know sideburns.... the brakes on my 1996 are/have-been so good that I will never forget being utterly perplexed when I first started reading complaints about the brakes on these vans after I joined the forum. That van stops on a freaking dime. And it shouldn't given it is now older than 80% of the motor vehicles out on the road. I definitely can see where the "windshield popout" joke comes from. There have been a couple times where I've had to do a dive-bomb panic stop and was convinced a collision would be unavoidable. But the '96 not only stopped, but with room to spare.

The 2000's brakes are great as well, but they aren't on par with the '96 because it has the same exact brake system, but a MUCH larger/heavier body. Still, panic stops have me stopped in plenty of space, even though I may be stressed into thinking I won't stop in time.
    2000 Chrysler 300M [Daily Driver] 158,000 miles as of Nov. 2014
    1996 Chrysler Town & Country LX [Always and forever the favorite.]
    2000 Chrysler Town & Country Limited [Gone, but not forgotten.]

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply