The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

Gas tank filling problem

54K views 12 replies 11 participants last post by  Caraman99 
#1 ·
My 2003 Caravan Se Minivan gives me an annoying problem when filling up.The back pressure keeps stopping the fuel flow. Dealer said a kink in a vent line was the problem.That fix lasted four months,now the problem is back. The dealer now says that this problem is inherent to this model of vehicule ..A REAL GEM..Any ideas?

#2 ·
Welcome to the forums! I moved your thread to the area for 4th generation minivans, as it will probably get a better response here.

Though I don't own a 4th generation, I do not know of any problems regarding the filler tube on them. Perhaps this is something a few of the 4th gen owners around here can fill us in on?

#3 ·
Does this happen at all gas stations? I have that happen every now and again if the device in the fuel nozzle isn't working. I've had that happen on vehicles other than our van though, so I'm sure it's not "inherent" to our vans. Sounds like the dealership wants to make you go away.

Is the van still under warranty? Are you the original owner?

#4 ·
gas

Don't have any problem filling it , but when it clicks off you aren't going to get "any" more gas into . Besides that haven't seen a problem with our 2004 .

#5 ·
this seems like an obvious answer to me (and please say if you've tried this), but have you tried to leave the fuel nozzle out just a bit? i know when i do this, the pump doesnt shut off nearly as fast as it normaly does

#6 ·
I had this problem a lot in my 2001 Dodge Dakota. I got around it by doing one of two things. One was to pull hose out a little when filling and another was to turn the hose a little to the side when filling. Might give both a try.

#8 ·
vipergg said:
Don't have any problem filling it , but when it clicks off you aren't going to get "any" more gas into . Besides that haven't seen a problem with our 2004 .
same with mine. I actually like this.

#9 ·
OK people, this is still an issue with these vans and there are few if any solutions out there.

I also have an '03 Chrysler mini-van.
Filled absolutely perfectly for the 1st 180K/mi.
Then suddenly 1 day it would allow about 1 gallon before clicking the filling pump off.
Why all of a sudden??
I did nothing different the last 5 fill-ups.
It literally takes me 15 minutes to fill my tank now.
I changed and checked all of the hoses related to the vent pump and EVAP canister which are located just aft of the transaxle in the center of the car....no difference.
One guy told me there was a vent check-valve on top of the fuel tank....I cannot find the part listing if there is actually one there.
Any solid ideas??

#10 ·
There are several threads on this.
You may have to replace the tank.
Use the search in the 4th gen forum mid-page and not, the one in the upper right.
If i get time later I will look.
Also, the fuel filler neck itself can be cracked and should be checked.

#13 ·
Welcome.

I have the exact same problem with my Saturn.

Gas backs up in filler neck and stops the pump, very annoying. It's worse when very cold out.

Not sure if this applies to your van, but I found my problem to be a sticking check valve at the bottom of the neck as seen in this short clip:

https://youtu.be/4AEFabYI1Do

I haven't fixed it yet, but I'm sure once I loosen it up by hand it'll be fine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.