The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

New radio, no sound

46K views 22 replies 12 participants last post by  bco_19 
#1 ·
Dear all,

I am from Portugal and recently bought a Chrysler Voyager from 2002. I am very happy because is a great machine :cool:
I have have changed the original radio to a new one but now I don´t get any sound and everything is well connected. I have read several messages about common problem but still don´t understand were is the problem.
It´s possible to clarify me about this issue?

Thanks in advance!

Regards,
NOL

#3 ·
Don't mean to jack your thread but I have the same year van (except its a T&C). Anyways my radio doesnt say Infinity anywhere on it but I do see it says "RDS" on it.

I guess what my only question is would i have the same issues he is having? Just wondering before i start tearing it apart.

#4 ·
The most common cause of a new radio with no sound, is having the "infinity" or the premium sound system in your van. Each of the speakers has it's own amplifier. Problem is, that an aftermarket radio won't be setup to tell the amplifiers to turn on. No amps turned on, no sound. Usually it's hooking up the blue "amplifier" or the blue/white "power antenna" wires to one of the wires on the original van side of the harness. I don't recall what color. There is several threads about how to power on the factory amplifiers. I'll do a bit of searching tonight when I have more time.

#6 ·
That is your amps. Pretty nice setup if you ask me, although I would personally rather a central amp. You can replace all the speakers, and try to find out which wires are carrying the audio from your new radio to the speakers, OR you can look for which wires will kick those amps on :). I haven't had a chance to look up the wiring for the van (I am running stock Infinity/DVD setup), but I had the same issue with my Stratus
when I changed the radio. The car side of the harness needed one of the blue wires from the radio side.

#7 ·
Ok, so not quite as easy as just connecting a wire in the dash behind the radio... But still pretty simple. You can run this from the blue or blue/white or red on the radio, or tap into any "switched" power. Make sure whatever source you choose, has 12v with the key on ACC, but NOTHING when the key is OFF. Otherwise, you will have a nice dead battery in the morning :p

http://forum.chryslerminivan.net/showthread.php/15471-2002-aftermarket-stereo-help
Post #3
"The amp relay is in the Relay/Fuse box located under the hood. The amp relay is the one labeled NBS which stands for Name Brand Speakers.

If you are trying to install an after market radio in a 2001 Chrysler Town and Country, you may notice that no sound comes from the speakers. This is because the single wire that is connected to the factory radio sends a signal to the Bus which tells the relay to turn on - powering the factory amp. I bypassed this by running a wire from the red Acc power wire on the radio to the relay. Connect the wire to pin number 87 on the relay. When standing in front of and facing the van, pin number 87 is the pin, on the NBS relay, which is closest to you and furtherst right"

#12 ·
I have a 2001 Town and Country with the cd player/ changer (below the radio stack). All original equipment. Weird thing is........I have it on AM radio now. However, if I switch to FM there is no sound. The radio will find a radio station if I scan for one but no sound. I got sound once when I left it on FM mode.....completely turned off the vehicles power....went into the grocery store. When I returned it had sound. Any tips?
I'm not certain which radio I have as I am not at home to look. It's a 2001 Town and Country Limited with all bells and whistles.

#13 ·
So, if I am reading that correctly, it works fine on AM, but not on FM? Sound from CDs? If it's just an FM problem, then not sure what to tell you. If you have the NBS relay, maybe swap it out with another relay of the same type pulled from a different slot and see if that solves the problem. It's possible that the relay is going bad and only working occasionally.

#14 ·
I have been trying to install an aftermarket radio in a tc 2007, but no luck. I ran the remote wire to the relay box under the hood, only to find that I didn't have an NPS relay. I thought the NPS was giving the signal to the amp to turn on, but I don't have one....there isn't even a way to plug one in. The Factory radio works, and I can even plug the factory radio in, and then, while the car is still running, unplug it and plug in the aftermarket....when i do this i get sound, but if I turn the car on with the aftermarket already plugged in, then I have no sound. There are two seperate harnesses that plug into the back of the stereo, but only one is used to hook up the aftermarket. The other one supposedly sends the signal through the cd player to the amp to turn on. I have heard that you must ground one of these wires as well as connect your remote to another one.

#15 ·
Joshuamw, I had the same assumption with my 2005 T/C. You will have to buy the Metra 70-6504 Amplifier Bypass Harness, Amazon has it for $29.99. Then you will have run the wire from the the rear passenger side to the front of the van. This will entail taking paneling off. My amp was located between the rear fender and the inner frame for my rear a/c. It wasn't difficult to remove. Hope that helps. If you like more explanation feel free to send me a PM.

#19 ·
Hard to know for sure, but just sounds like there's a failure internal to the radio that's specific to the FM portion of the circuitry. Could be bad capacitors, could be a bad solder joint etc. If you're good at troubleshooting electronics, you could take the radio out of the vehicle and open it up, inspect for anything obvious like leaky capacitors or cracked solder joints. Other than that, it will be difficult to troubleshoot without schematics, and I doubt those are readily available.

I had a RAZ radio in my 2007 GC on which everything worked except AM radio, similar to your case. Thankfully I happened upon a replacement RAZ deck at a Goodwill and picked it up for less than $10. Ended up just tossing the partially broken unit because I didn't have time to mess with it.

FYI if you end up buying a replacement RAZ radio, you may need this harness/adapter that converts from the dual 7-pin harness (used on 2001 and some 2002 models) to the 22-pin harness (used on late 2002 and newer):
https://www.amazon.com/harness-adapter-7-22pin-changer-Chrysler/dp/B01GEZAMAM
(I was just looking this up because I am considering swapping a newer RAZ radio and DVD changer into the 2001 TC I just bought, which has only the old RAZ radio)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.