New radio, no sound

ChryslerMiniVan.net is the premier Chrysler Minivan Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New radio, no sound

Thanks

New radio, no sound

Dear all,

I am from Portugal and recently bought a Chrysler Voyager from 2002. I am very happy because is a great machine
    I have have changed the original radio to a new one but now I donīt get any sound and everything is well connected. I have read several messages about common problem but still donīt understand were is the problem.
    Itīs possible to clarify me about this issue?

Thanks in advance!

Regards,
    NOL

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chrysler Minivan Forums
    Advertisements

Thanks

Did your van originally have the Infinity radio? Though I'm not sure what was available overseas.
    Candy the van. '98 Sport 3.8L 132,200 miles. Used trans at ~96k. Great piece of my life and a fine van.

'69 GTO drop top
    www.facebook.com/people/Andy-Greif/1410438927

Thanks

Don't mean to jack your thread but I have the same year van (except its a T&C). Anyways my radio doesnt say Infinity anywhere on it but I do see it says "RDS" on it.

I guess what my only question is would i have the same issues he is having? Just wondering before i start tearing it apart.
    02' T&C LX 3.3

Thanks

The most common cause of a new radio with no sound, is having the "infinity" or the premium sound system in your van. Each of the speakers has it's own amplifier. Problem is, that an aftermarket radio won't be setup to tell the amplifiers to turn on. No amps turned on, no sound. Usually it's hooking up the blue "amplifier" or the blue/white "power antenna" wires to one of the wires on the original van side of the harness. I don't recall what color. There is several threads about how to power on the factory amplifiers. I'll do a bit of searching tonight when I have more time.
    2005 Kia Sorento LX 4x4 44,000mi
    2003 Chrysler T&C Limited 3.8l AWD 145,000mi Traded in 9/14/11
    2000 Dodge Stratus ES v6 179,000 sold 7/2011

Thanks

Hi,

Thanks!
    I am really a rookie on this subject...

I know that on each speaker have an attached "object" Is this the "Infinity" amp?
    If I change all speakers I will not have this sound problem, correct?

Thanks!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nol View Post
    Hi,

Thanks!
    I am really a rookie on this subject...

I know that on each speaker have an attached "object" Is this the "Infinity" amp?
    If I change all speakers I will not have this sound problem, correct?

Thanks!
    That is your amps. Pretty nice setup if you ask me, although I would personally rather a central amp. You can replace all the speakers, and try to find out which wires are carrying the audio from your new radio to the speakers, OR you can look for which wires will kick those amps on . I haven't had a chance to look up the wiring for the van (I am running stock Infinity/DVD setup), but I had the same issue with my Stratus
    when I changed the radio. The car side of the harness needed one of the blue wires from the radio side.

Thanks

Ok, so not quite as easy as just connecting a wire in the dash behind the radio... But still pretty simple. You can run this from the blue or blue/white or red on the radio, or tap into any "switched" power. Make sure whatever source you choose, has 12v with the key on ACC, but NOTHING when the key is OFF. Otherwise, you will have a nice dead battery in the morning :-p

http://forum.chryslerminivan.net/sho...et-stereo-help
    Post #3
    "The amp relay is in the Relay/Fuse box located under the hood. The amp relay is the one labeled NBS which stands for Name Brand Speakers.

If you are trying to install an after market radio in a 2001 Chrysler Town and Country, you may notice that no sound comes from the speakers. This is because the single wire that is connected to the factory radio sends a signal to the Bus which tells the relay to turn on - powering the factory amp. I bypassed this by running a wire from the red Acc power wire on the radio to the relay. Connect the wire to pin number 87 on the relay. When standing in front of and facing the van, pin number 87 is the pin, on the NBS relay, which is closest to you and furtherst right"

Thanks

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR CLARIFICATION!!!
    Now I get the picture!

Regards from Portugal!

Thanks

I would change the speakers but thats up to you.
    Silver 2002 Chrysler T&C EX 3.8
    Just hit 100,000 miles and counting.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply