Pentastar engine oil filter



ChryslerMiniVan.net is the premier Chrysler Minivan Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 20

Thread: Pentastar engine oil filter

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Arizona & Washington
    Posts
    200
    Country: Users Country Flag
    Thanks
    30
    Thanked 16 Times in 12 Posts


    Pentastar engine oil filter

    How messy is it to change the "canister-free" filter for the new 3.6L engine? Since it sits mostly vertical on top of the engine I wonder what precaution to take.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    Chrysler Minivan Forums
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Southaven, MS
    Posts
    2,923
    Country: Users Country Flag
    Thanks
    118
    Thanked 88 Times in 73 Posts


    Quote Originally Posted by rangercreek View Post
    How messy is it to change the "canister-free" filter for the new 3.6L engine? Since it sits mostly vertical on top of the engine I wonder what precaution to take.
    I'd imagine waiting a few minutes after turning the engine off allows the oil to drain back out of the filter. Maybe you should loosen the retaining bolt and let it sit for a few minutes. That'd be my guess. Does the owner's manual have any tips?
    2001 Infiniti i30 3.0 DOHC V6: VQ30DE 177,000 miles; 1999 Nissan Altima GLE KA24 168,000 Miles
    1997 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT Laramie 5.9 46RE, 182,000 Miles
    Prev. 97 T&C LXi 184k 3.8, 94 T&C 3.8 156k Miles, 93 GV LE 3.3 123k

  4. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    1,116
    Thanks
    153
    Thanked 51 Times in 45 Posts


    I have a friend of mine that works where they make these filter units (and ship them to Chrysler). Please let me know what you think about this and the process to change the oil. Thanks!

  5. #4
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    6,252
    Country: Users Country Flag
    Thanks
    62
    Thanked 368 Times in 261 Posts


    Quote Originally Posted by rangercreek View Post
    How messy is it to change the "canister-free" filter for the new 3.6L engine? Since it sits mostly vertical on top of the engine I wonder what precaution to take.
    Both of my BMWs had this type of arrangement for the oil filter and it was a snap. I'd pop the cap off, use my oil extractor to drain the filter cavity, move the extractor to the dip stick to pull the oil out of the pan while the filter drained a bit, returned the extractor to the filter cavity to do any clean-up work, swapped out the filter element, put the cap back on and poured in the clean oil. Total time was no more than fifteen minutes.
    Sold: 1998 DGC Sport 3.8 (Final odo: 178,000 miles)
    Sold: 1998 Chrysler T&C LXi 3.8 (Final odo: 190,000 miles)
    Sold: 2003 DGC ES 3.8 (Final odo: 172,000 miles)
    1998 Audi A4 Quattro (5-Speed manual)
    2001 Honda Accord EX V6 (4-Speed automatic)
    2009 Mazda3 i Touring (5-Speed manual)
    2012 VW GTI (6-Speed manual)

  6. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    4,031
    Country: Users Country Flag
    Thanks
    83
    Thanked 59 Times in 41 Posts


    Quote Originally Posted by shipo View Post
    Both of my BMWs had this type of arrangement for the oil filter and it was a snap. I'd pop the cap off, use my oil extractor to drain the filter cavity, move the extractor to the dip stick to pull the oil out of the pan while the filter drained a bit, returned the extractor to the filter cavity to do any clean-up work, swapped out the filter element, put the cap back on and poured in the clean oil. Total time was no more than fifteen minutes.
    Are you describing changing the filter only without changing the oil?

    Seems to me if you are changing the oil, you need not use an oil extractor, just drain the oil by unscrewing the plug, and then as it drains, replace the filter, just like with a "spin-on" oil filter. Am I missing something?
    Michael
    Centreville, VA
    Currently driving:
    2005 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT, 99K mi.
    Former owner of:
    1988 Dodge Caravan SE, 2.5L I4 (1988-1995, 99K mi); 1995 Plymouth Grand Voyager SE "Rallye", 3.3L (1995-2004, 169K mi); 2003 Grand Caravan Sport, 3.8L, (2004-2008, 106K mi), 2008 Nissan Quest, (2008-2010, 25K mi)

    Other vehicles:
    2008 Lexus RX400h (Dark Gray), 65K mi; 2005 Hyundai Elantra GT (Blue), 65K mi

  7. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    225
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 15 Times in 14 Posts


    An oil extractor simply means that changing the oil can be done without crawling under the vehicle - everything is done from the engine bay.

    While I don't use an oil extractor (yet), it seems, faster, easier and less messy. Now that the oil filter is positioned on the top of the engine, it seems like it would be the ideal time to also use an oil extractor! I still need to do some more research first though!
    Current: 2012 Mazda 5, 2012 Mazda3 SkyActiv
    Previous: 2011 Grand Caravan, 2009 Grand Caravan SE, 2002 Grand Caravan Sport and several other Chrysler vehicles

  8. #7
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    6,252
    Country: Users Country Flag
    Thanks
    62
    Thanked 368 Times in 261 Posts


    Quote Originally Posted by mmahamm View Post
    Are you describing changing the filter only without changing the oil?

    Seems to me if you are changing the oil, you need not use an oil extractor, just drain the oil by unscrewing the plug, and then as it drains, replace the filter, just like with a "spin-on" oil filter. Am I missing something?
    I haven't pulled a drain plug out of a car in over ten years; I simply pull the oil up through the dip stick. On cars like my BMWs (and apparently the new Pentstar equipped cars) with the filter up on top, that means no trip under the bumper to unscrew the filter; everything is done from the top.
    Sold: 1998 DGC Sport 3.8 (Final odo: 178,000 miles)
    Sold: 1998 Chrysler T&C LXi 3.8 (Final odo: 190,000 miles)
    Sold: 2003 DGC ES 3.8 (Final odo: 172,000 miles)
    1998 Audi A4 Quattro (5-Speed manual)
    2001 Honda Accord EX V6 (4-Speed automatic)
    2009 Mazda3 i Touring (5-Speed manual)
    2012 VW GTI (6-Speed manual)

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to shipo For This Useful Post:

    gsmagnum (05-20-2011)

  10. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Saint Paul, Minnesota
    Posts
    304
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts


    Red face

    Quote Originally Posted by shipo View Post
    I haven't pulled a drain plug out of a car in over ten years; I simply pull the oil up through the dip stick. On cars like my BMWs (and apparently the new Pentstar equipped cars) with the filter up on top, that means no trip under the bumper to unscrew the filter; everything is done from the top.
    This type of oil change is called the "missionary"
    2003 Chrysler Voyager LX 3.3l ( SILVER )
    Allison Acoustics
    Most folks are about as happy as they make up their mind to be - Abraham Lincoln

  11. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Cleveland, OH
    Posts
    3,877
    Country: Users Country Flag
    Thanks
    40
    Thanked 66 Times in 54 Posts


    Quote Originally Posted by shipo View Post
    I haven't pulled a drain plug out of a car in over ten years; I simply pull the oil up through the dip stick. On cars like my BMWs (and apparently the new Pentstar equipped cars) with the filter up on top, that means no trip under the bumper to unscrew the filter; everything is done from the top.
    This is intriguing. Isn't it faster to unscrew the drain plug and let gravity do its work? Perhaps not, I just never considered doing it the other way.
    1996 Chrysler Town & Country LX [My lovable Daily-Driver]
    2000 Chrysler Town & Country Limited [Yes, it's still around!]
    2000 Chrysler 300M [New kid on the block...]

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to Chrysler1924 For This Useful Post:

    mmahamm (05-31-2011)

  13. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    N.J.
    Posts
    38
    Country: Users Country Flag
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts


    Does the oil extractor suck up metal filings or other particles that would normally flow out in a gravity drain ?
    2011 Touring-L Blackberry Pearl

+ Reply to Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts