The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

01 Caravan air bag light on

15K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  etek 
#1 ·
I know, I know.. "Another one with the airbag light on??!! Read the posts on this!!" :)

Believe me I looked, but couldn't find the answer.

'01 Grand Caravan 180,000km(110,000 miles approx.)

A while ago I was told by the dealership that the clock spring was bad, so yesterday I changed it, along with the broken multi-function switch. Fixed one problem... turnsignals are canceling once again but the airbag light is still on. Only error code returned by the key method is that the battery has been disconnected (P1684). Do I need a code reader to clear the airbag light or do I have another problem in this area?

Thanks in advance

#2 ·
You need a DRB tool to read the air bag system codes. The fact that the light is on likely means the system knows where the fault is.

#3 ·
Thanks Andy, what I thought. A friend has one, hopefully we can hook up this week.

#4 ·
OK, had a friend check for errors today and he said there were no stored errors. He used an ODB code reader, not a DRB.. is there a difference? In any event, going to have a look at some weak points in the wiring that I was told about. Apparently weak points exist in the harness under the seats, and also in the dash to the right of the radio.

Will see what we can find.

#5 ·
A DRB is a complete system scan tool, a very expensive item that normally only dealers, body shops, and high end mechanics have. The OBD only reads engine related codes.

#6 ·
WoWoW!!! Took a quick look on Fleabay and these things run around $3,000 to start.. Guess it's back to " a friend of a friend " who is the service manager at the stealership.

#7 ·
Hi Brian,
I almost have the same problem, instead of new thread, I am going to put details here.

I have 2001 T&C Limited w/150.000 miles on it.

Airbag light comes on after 5-10 minutes driving, all the time. when I first start no light. after some time it is on.

So I took the van to dealer to see. Report was "Airbag Module Loses Connection with Instrument Cluster" this turns the light on and turns off the airbag system.
They said I need a new cluster, circuit board is fault... $900...etc...

First; I check the wiring it self between cluster and the AB Module. it is the PCI Bus, White with Violet stripe. connection was OK.

Second; I installed a new clock spring. AB light still on.

Third; I got a used Cluster from junkyard and installed. AB light still on.

Fourth; I removed the cluster, re-solder the socket pin connections. AB light still on.

Also, for the error codes: check the cluster codes. engine off; press and hold the trip button, until you see lights come on. and follow the odometer. This is cluster self diagnostics. it tells you if you have any error codes with it.

I had these codes with cluster,
100.1 ABS Communication Fault
100.5 ORC Communication Fault
100.6 SBEC/DEC/MCM Communication Fault
400.1 Improper power down Detected

So anybody has any ideas,

#8 ·
Thanks etek. Did the check today and, fortunately, no errors. That was pretty neat tho, watching all the gauges move up, and then back down, and the various lights come on.

#11 ·
How new is the battery, they can cause all kinds of problems. Just throwing it out there.

#12 ·
I went to the dealer again and had their big code reader put on it and this time it pointed towards the drivers seat belt catch. Apparently there is a switch in it that sends a signal back to the computer, signaling that the seat belt is fastened. It may, or may not, have been the switch. I was told that it could be the wiring harness under the seat had gotten corroded or even a broken wire. Should be an easy check with a continuity tester or ohm meter. From what I have read here and other places, you pretty much need the big code reader from the dealer to diagnose this.

I never did fix it... got a really good deal on an '07 and traded my '01 on it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.