2011 Trailer Tow Group

ChryslerMiniVan.net is the premier Chrysler Minivan Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 2011 Trailer Tow Group

Thanks

2011 Trailer Tow Group

Went buy to MAINSTREET caravan with tow package found no longer available. Was available in 2010 vans This sucks big time to spent an extra $3000 to get crew van then get the tow option.Salesman said i was not the first to ask for this option

Not sure if i could get load leveling parts and install my self anyone try it???

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chrysler Minivan Forums
    Advertisements

Thanks

Even if you add it yourself, it will still have the same tow rating.
    Grant
    Mopars currently owned:
    2013 Chrysler Town and Country L
    1975 Dodge D-100 4x4 400

Thanks

I agree - its seems silly that Chrysler didn't enable every 2011 trim package to have the tow package as an option - especially since every trim level offers the same powertrain.

The tow package includes a lot more than just load leveling shocks. The tow package also includes a heavy duty radiator, engine oil cooler and transmission oil cooler. I purchased the factory hitch and wiring and had the dealer complete the installation upon delivery. That being said, I recognize I can only tow 1800lbs at best! (1000lbs fully loaded). I'm not sure I'd try to tow much more without the complete factory tow package.

You probably could install load leveling shocks, but the cost is likely restrictive and it certainly wouldn't give me the confidence to tow any more weight without the other tow package components, some of which are perhaps more important than the load leveling shocks.
    Current: 2012 Mazda 5, 2012 Mazda3 SkyActiv
    Previous: 2011 Grand Caravan, 2009 Grand Caravan SE, 2002 Grand Caravan Sport and several other Chrysler vehicles

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JOEMAMA For This Useful Post:

Ceasar91706 (04-19-2011), gsmagnum (04-14-2011)

Thanks

Can someone verify the radiator, trans cooler, and oil cooler part numbers. By comparing the components by PRICE only they are all the same radiator etc.. I would assume that they would get more for the HD stuff (more material=higher cost) I would like to see this in part numbers. If the coolers are the same across the board then the tow rating is a crock of you know what. The engine and trans in a 2011 no matter what version you buy is the same, so if the rear suspension was upgraded to the nivomat load leveling shocks, where is the difference. I'm not buying it, the brakes are the same too, show me the numbers.

Thanks

It is my understanding that the HD radiator, oil cooler, transmission cooler and load leveling suspension are not installed on vehicles without the tow package. The most important component needed in my view is the transmission oil cooler, which I guess could be installed with an after market part, but that isn't my cup of tea.

This might be different for the Routan, but I doubt it. Someone correct me if I'm wrong!
    Previous: 2011 Grand Caravan, 2009 Grand Caravan SE, 2002 Grand Caravan Sport and several other Chrysler vehicles

Thanks

If one is that serious about towing get the higher trim and do it right.
    If towing 3600 pounds with a Mainstreet trim with added on components has a failure in the power train, and they can point to you towing with it, then it is likely that the warranty will be voided.
    I wouldn't risk it myself.
    Grant
    Mopars currently owned:
    2013 Chrysler Town and Country L
    1975 Dodge D-100 4x4 400

Thanks

I thought the Pentastar had a integrated oil to water (coolant) oil cooler in the engine.
    2001 Infiniti i30 3.0 DOHC V6: VQ30DE 177,000 miles; 1999 Nissan Altima GLE KA24 168,000 Miles
    1997 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT Laramie 5.9 46RE, 182,000 Miles
    Prev. 97 T&C LXi 184k 3.8, 94 T&C 3.8 156k Miles, 93 GV LE 3.3 123k

Thanks

The Canadian Dodge site shows the following components with the tow package:
    Includes:
    -Engine Oil Cooler
    -Heavy Duty Radiator
    -Heavy Duty Transmission Oil Cooler
    -Load Leveling & Height Control
    Trailer Tow Wiring Harness

The US Dodge site shows the following:
    Includes:
    -Heavy Duty Radiator
    -Load Leveling and Height Control
    -Trailer Tow Wiring Harness

Not sure why the difference. I presume the US site is correct though - so perhaps the only components missing would be the transmission oil cooler and the load leveling suspension. You'd need to confirm this with the dealer though. I'm not sure why Chrysler has to be so cryptic with their towing packages!

Thanks

The Canadian Dodge site shows the following components with the tow package:
    Includes:
    -Engine Oil Cooler
    -Heavy Duty Radiator
    -Load Leveling & Height Control

The US Dodge site shows the following:
    Includes:
    -Heavy Duty Radiator
    -Load Leveling and Height Control

Not sure why the difference. I presume the US site is correct though - so perhaps the only components missing would be the HD radiator, transmission oil cooler and the load leveling suspension. You'd need to confirm this with the dealer though. I'm not sure why Chrysler has to be so cryptic with their towing packages!

+ Reply to Thread