The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

2001 Chrysler Voyager 3.3 V6 Base Exhaust Replacement Questions

4K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  BrianS 
#1 ·
Hey guy's and gals, it has been awhile since I have been back here, however I must say I can't tell you what a blessing it is to know I can always return for helpful non biased information. I was driving home the other day and all of a sudden I started hearing a very loud "clanging noise coming from drivers side area", so I immediately pulled over and had it towed to my local Dodge Chrysler JeepDealership Garage. After a couple hours I got a call back from the mechanic who informed me that I way going to need a "new exhaust from the manifold back". And of course I know as much about exhausts and manifolds as I do about Nucular Science, which isn't much. So I asked what exactley needs replaced?; he then told me I need to replace "everything behind the exhaust manifold", catylatic converter assembly, muffler and tail pipe. So I then asked how much? He then proceeded to inform me I might be better of getting the parts myself rather then through the dealership becuase it would cost me an arm and a leg. I thanked him and hung up. I then proceeded to go online and order my parts, only to find myself as confused as ever. I found that there are exhaust pipes, intermediate pipes, catylatic converters, cross pipes, and etc ... So my question is if I purshese a catylatic converter with the intermediate pipe already welded(ie assembly), the muffler, and tail pipe, will that be sufficient or is there another pipe I will need to purchase? I have looked on line all day to try to find a labeled diagram to reference and came up empty, any help would be greatly appriciated, thanks for your time.

See less See more
#2 ·
Call an independent exhaust shop and ask for a quote. Some places will do whole systems for a great price, the only pricy item will be the converter, but universal replacements work fine. I had a place do a mandrel bent dual exhaust system for my gto for $250, done the same day. The guy was a master with the bender and welder.

#3 ·
I'd question the converter as well. In 36 years of driving, I've never had to replace the actual converter. Yes, they DO go bad from time to time, but on a properly tuned, normally driven car it's not that often. I HAVE had the connecters on each end of the converter replaced, and that's where the indy exhaust shop shines over the dealer. Exhausts are their business, they can repair stuff, where the dealer will just replace it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.