Rust through on doors

ChryslerMiniVan.net is the premier Chrysler Minivan Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Rust through on doors

Thanks

Rust through on doors

I have a 96 T&c and there is bad rust on the passeneger sliding door and the drivers door at the bottom. This is caused by a poor design in the weatherstripping on the doors, it holds the water in place against the doors and then it rusts. Has anyone had this problem? Has Chrysler done anyhting to help with the repair of the rust?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chrysler Minivan Forums
    Advertisements

Thanks

It may be due to so called "rust proofing" someone did to it and clogged the drains. If you keep the drains clean this isn't much of a problem. Bigger issue is the strut tower behind the battery and the rear wheel arch under the gas door.

Thanks

rust

I have a 96 Voyager and there isn't a spot of rust on it and I live in an area where salt is king . I think the secret is to keep it washed even in the winter and keep it waxed a couple times a year . I doubt you'll get chrysler to do anything on a 9 year old van , rust thru warranty certainly isn't 9 years , think it's something like 6 years or 100000 miles whichever is first .
    Last edited by vipergg; 03-16-2005 at 07:54 AM.
    2007 Dodge Caravan SXT SWB
    3.3 liter , 4 speed
    Modern Blue
    13000 miles

2004 Chrysler Town and Country
    3.3 v6 , 4 speed auto
    trailer tow prep
    Inferno Red
    64000 miles

Thanks

Rust

Hello from the 2nd sunniest place on earth
    I'm sorry It's Seattle.
    I'm not sure where you live.
    I have not found any rust on my '97 AWD TC.
    I keep it very clean and try to rinse all residue from the small amount of road salt from my car ASAP.
    I rinse the underside about every 3rd washing. :
    look for residule mud and gunk in all the hiding spots, wheel wells, door welds at the bottom, anywhere water @ mud will collect.
    Visit Chicago and you will notice hardly any cars 10 yrs old.
    Lots of snow and salt.
    Good luck

Thanks

Hey Bobo5727. I know you can see the rust and it IS THERE. However this is not a common problem on the mini van. Not to say that you might have gotten a van with a panel that was not prepared and coated and painted correctly. These thing can happen. However it is NOT a common problem.
    You can talk to the dealer (if you bought it new) and see what they may do but I don't think you will find any help there. I am sorry to say.
    I agree with Larry when he says that your door drains may have been clogged up. I see that alot with aftermarket rust preventive add-ons and people who park under trees alot. The junk/leaves get down inside the doors and windshield areas, block drain areas and collect water. Then the water is held to the vehicle surface and causes the rust reactions.
    I know this does not help YOU , however I am with the rest on keeping my vehicles clean. I even clean inside the door sills and all other surfaces everytime I wash my car and I wax the whole area at least once a year.
    Good luck to you.
    2001 Dodge Grand Caravan Sport 3.3L
    2004 Chrysler Pacifica AWD 3.5L

Thanks

rust on door

The rustrpoofing was done by the dealership. I'n going to see what it will cost to get it fixed.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bobo5727
    The rustrpoofing was done by the dealership. I'n going to see what it will cost to get it fixed.
    If the rustproofing was done by the dealership, then maybe there is a warranty on the RUSTPROOFING, rather than the car. If you still have the documents you received when you bought the car, that may help.
    Michael
    Centreville, VA
    Currently driving:
    2005 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT, 99K mi.
    Former owner of:
    1988 Dodge Caravan SE, 2.5L I4 (1988-1995, 99K mi); 1995 Plymouth Grand Voyager SE "Rallye", 3.3L (1995-2004, 169K mi); 2003 Grand Caravan Sport, 3.8L, (2004-2008, 106K mi), 2008 Nissan Quest, (2008-2010, 25K mi)

Other vehicles:
    2008 Lexus RX400h (Dark Gray), 65K mi; 2005 Hyundai Elantra GT (Blue), 65K mi

+ Reply to Thread