Install tag mounted back up camera on '08 Grand Caravan

ChryslerMiniVan.net is the premier Chrysler Minivan Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Install tag mounted back up camera on '08 Grand Caravan

Thanks

Install tag mounted back up camera on '08 Grand Caravan

Just purchased a Nextar wireless back up camera that mounts on the the license plate bracket. Looking for the best way to connect the wiring?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chrysler Minivan Forums
    Advertisements

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lambstangle View Post
    Just purchased a Nextar wireless back up camera that mounts on the the license plate bracket. Looking for the best way to connect the wiring?
    Is this the product you're talking about?

http://www.nextar.com/images/Product...SG%20(Eng).pdf
    2009 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT (3.8L), Light Sandstone Metallic, 125K miles
    2005 Volvo XC70, 160K miles

Previous van: 2002 Chrysler T&C, eX (3.8L)

Thanks

Nextar 14-BC WIRELESS TAG PLATE MOUNTED CAMERA

How do you thread the wires through the tailgate or how do you dismantle the tailgate to make the connection to the brake system?

Thanks

Yes it is. I know it is wireless to the gps receiver and activates when you apply the brakes, but it must be wired to the brake system in a professional manner.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lambstangle View Post
    Yes it is. I know it is wireless to the gps receiver and activates when you apply the brakes, but it must be wired to the brake system in a professional manner.
    I think the idea is that it activates when you are in Reverse, not when you apply the brakes.

You will need to locate a harness that carries power to the reverse lamps, splice into that, and route it cleanly to the camera. I don't have any definitive instructions for you. Perhaps someone else here is more familiar with the wiring back there.
    2009 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT (3.8L), Light Sandstone Metallic, 125K miles
    2005 Volvo XC70, 160K miles

Previous van: 2002 Chrysler T&C, eX (3.8L)

Thanks

Thank You

Thanks

I installed a backup camera in my Corvette. I hooked the camera power and ground wires to the backup lights, so that the camera would be powered when the car was put into reverse. My radio was capable of displaying the camera and required a trigger to switch to the camera input. This is typically supplied by the reverse gear indicator wire. In my case, the car was a stick shift and had no reverse gear indicator, so I connected the trigger wire to the backup lights as well. It works great. You should be able to power the camera by taping into the backup lights. If you have the unit listed in the previous link, the monitor looks like it plugs into the cigarette lighter for power and automatically comes on when it receives a signal from the camera. The hardest part would be to run the wires from the camera mounted on the tailgate over to the backup lights on the body. I think you will have to remove the interior panel of the tail gate in order to do this. Hope this helps

Phil
    2008 T & C Limited
    Mygig
    Towing Package

+ Reply to Thread