Town & Country Captain's Chair - Desk Chair Refit Project

ChryslerMiniVan.net is the premier Chrysler Minivan Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Town & Country Captain's Chair - Desk Chair Refit Project

Thanks

Town & Country Captain's Chair - Desk Chair Refit Project

Giving credit where credit is due, a huge thanks to Benny who gave me the idea to use a seat from our beloved vans as a desk chair.

Recently, I moved to northeastern Ohio from New England, and found to my wonderful surprise that this part of the country actually HAS junk yards! (Yay!) So, I may or may not have spent an extended amount of time at the Cleveland East Pull-A-Part on Saturday. I came home with a passenger-side 2nd row captain's chair out of a 1998 Town & Country LXi.

A few trips to Home Depot for some materials and I have a solid, roll-able desk chair which is almost perfect in height for my desk.

1996 Chrysler Town & Country LX [My lovable Daily-Driver]
    2000 Chrysler Town & Country Limited [Yes, it's still around!]
    2000 Chrysler 300M [New kid on the block...]

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Chrysler1924 For This Useful Post:

dun4now (03-08-2011)

3. Remove Advertisements
    Chrysler Minivan Forums
    Advertisements

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chrysler1924 View Post
    Giving credit where credit is due, a huge thanks to Benny who gave me the idea to use a seat from our beloved vans as a desk chair.

Recently, I moved to northeastern Ohio from New England, and found to my wonderful surprise that this part of the country actually HAS junk yards! (Yay!) So, I may or may not have spent an extended amount of time at the Cleveland East Pull-A-Part on Saturday. I came home with a passenger-side 2nd row captain's chair out of a 1998 Town & Country LXi.

A few trips to Home Depot for some materials and I have a solid, roll-able desk chair which is almost perfect in height for my desk.

Looking good!

Decades ago, we outfitted a media room with old First Class double airline seats.
    Attached Images
    ---
    \\'05 Honda CR-V SE, Pewter Pearl
    \\'98 Dodge Grand Caravan Sport, Alpine Frost
    \\'68 Datsun 2000 Roadster, Extra Red Imron

5. The Following User Says Thank You to AirBoss For This Useful Post:

dun4now (03-08-2011)

Thanks

I love it. That has got to be one darn comfortable chair. Everyone that has ever been in my van has said that the buckets are the perfect sleeping chairs.
    Candy the van. '98 Sport 3.8L 132,200 miles. Used trans at ~96k. Great piece of my life and a fine van.

'69 GTO drop top
    www.facebook.com/people/Andy-Greif/1410438927

Thanks
    Thanked 1,202 Times in 985 Posts

Cool beans.
    Put the drawer back in and have a place to store beverages on ice.

PS: Put some lockable wheels on a battery and have yourself an ottoman. Sounds like the makings of a "man cave" to me.
    2007 GC SXT - Magnesium - S&G - 3.8L - 115,600 kms
    2002 GC Sport - Stone White - 3.3L - 314,240 kms
    2003 Jeep TJ Sport - 4.0L - 246,430 kms

Thanks

It's a 2nd row. No drawer, unless T&Cs have that exclusively. I wouldn't know if they do.

in the 80s, possibly even later, possible even now, Recaro marketed an office chair that was one of their car chairs but with a stem and casters. the ads were pretty common in the car mags.
    sent from my Univac using Assembler.
    http://forum.chryslerminivan.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=13818&dateline=124855  5576
    98 Grand Voyager LE Deep Cranberry 3.3L
    07 Impala SS

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by madbrad View Post
    It's a 2nd row. No drawer, unless T&Cs have that exclusively. I wouldn't know if they do.
    Our '98 second row, driver's side Sport Captain's chair has a pull-out beverage holder/drawer on the right side.
    ---
    \\'05 Honda CR-V SE, Pewter Pearl
    \\'98 Dodge Grand Caravan Sport, Alpine Frost
    \\'68 Datsun 2000 Roadster, Extra Red Imron

Thanks

Yes it has a cup holder if it's a left side seat(right hand seat, you're S.O.L.), and that cup holder does operate in a drawer like motion, but I assumed Jeepman was referring to the storage drawer in the front passenger seat, because maybe he didn't catch that it was a 2nd row seat, and that is the drawer I was saying the 2nd row doesn't have.
    Here's the pricier way to go:
    Last edited by madbrad; 03-07-2011 at 05:51 PM.
    sent from my Univac using Assembler.
    http://forum.chryslerminivan.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=13818&dateline=124855  5576
    98 Grand Voyager LE Deep Cranberry 3.3L
    07 Impala SS

11. The Following User Says Thank You to madbrad For This Useful Post:

dun4now (03-08-2011)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by madbrad View Post
    Yes it has a cup holder if it's a left side seat(right hand seat, you're S.O.L.), and that cup holder does operate in a drawer like motion, but I assumed Jeepman was referring to the storage drawer in the front passenger seat, because maybe he didn't catch that it was a 2nd row seat, and that is the drawer I was saying the 2nd row doesn't have.
    the seat picked up is a right hand seat. (notice where the lever for the recline and seat tilt are).

Of course have to post a picture of the seat from which the idea first came from, which is my own personal computer chair.

ps can you tell I sit in it a good amount?
    Im 25 and my parents own a 2014 Grand Caravan R/T (3.6l, 56 miles) 2007 Dodge Caliber SXT (1.8l 76k miles 5spd), a 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT(3.8l 41TE 113k miles), a 2001 Chrysler PT Cruiser ((which is mine) 2.4l 116k miles 41TE), and a 2000 Ford Mustang base (3.8l, 4 spd auto 27k miles)

Thanks

Then should i go after the second T@C parts van for $400 i found, and get a complete set of deck chairs ?

or i can skin the seats and sell the leather(easier to ship) for 300 and junk the rest.
    2006 Town@Country loaded up!

2005 grand stow@go Judi's new blue ride

Thanks

Nice! Well done. That looks like a comfortable chair. And it is in leather too. How far can you reclilne before it wants to flip backwards??

+ Reply to Thread