All gauges in dashboard shooting up/down like crazy and all indicator lights turn on!

ChryslerMiniVan.net is the premier Chrysler Minivan Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: All gauges in dashboard shooting up/down like crazy and all indicator lights turn on!

Thanks

All gauges in dashboard shooting up/down like crazy and all indicator lights turn on!

Hi everybody,

Yesterday my wife complained that the gauges on the dashboard are suddenly shooting up and down like crazy, and also all the indicator lights, abs, coolant, door indicators, etc. light up when this happens. I have seen this happen too but just like three times since we bought the van in Feb. of 2010(last year). But now, my wife said that this is the second time, since yesterday, that she sees this happening.

Can anyone tell me what could the problem be? Could it be a bad alternator? Or what could be the problem? Has anybody experienced this before?

Any tips or advice would help!

Thanks,

Rudy M.
    Last edited by rodo01; 03-04-2011 at 08:51 PM. Reason: additions

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chrysler Minivan Forums
    Advertisements

Thanks

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
    I would have the battery tested as a first step, and also check the system voltage with the engine running.
    Candy the van. '98 Sport 3.8L 132,200 miles. Used trans at ~96k. Great piece of my life and a fine van.

'69 GTO drop top
    www.facebook.com/people/Andy-Greif/1410438927

Thanks

Model year?
    ******** We took the time to answer your post. Please give us some time and post the fix. You'll help hundreds. ********

**** Follow all prescribed safety procedures before attempting any repairs. If in doubt, refer to a maintenance manual. ****

96 Gr Caravan LE 3.8, 208K miles
    07 Fusion / 06 RAV 4 / 06 Accord / 94 Camry

Thanks

2001 Grand Caravan ES. 3.8 V6. 160k miles

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rodo01 View Post
    2001 Grand Caravan ES. 3.8 V6. 160k miles
    JMO; Cluster problem!
    2000 Caravan 3 L. 17-20 MPG. 134,000 klm. New tranny at 97 K. Tires are P205 70R14 Bridgstone M+S. 123,800 KM. replaced tensioner pulley, serpentine belt, and power steering pulley, brake light switch.
    Old reliable - 1982 Dodge Ram Long Box 318 Auto 3 speed transmission 66 K.

Thanks

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
    If the battery voltages are good, connections are clean and tight, and it passes a load test then look towards the instrument cluster. gain access to the back side and do a shake test on the harness looking for any change on the cluster instruments. Remove the cluster and check the contacts on the connector for any damage. Small chance you have cracked solder joints at the points the circuit board connector is soldered to the board. Retouch them with a soldering iron even if you can't see cracks. They can be tiny. One way to detect them is to smack the dash above the cluster next time they go crazy. If they straighten up then get the soldering iron out. Here's a slideshow about how to get at and repair the cluster. Just click "slideshow" at upper right/ It's on a 98 T&C but should be close: http://www.flickr.com/photos/landar/...7617315319764/

The Body Control Module (BCM) is another unit on the hit list. It conditions the inputs from various senders then sends the data on the data bus to the cluster. Might try checking for codes with a scanner. Autozone will read them for free. I'm drawing a blank on the location on a 2001. Someone will jump in here and fill in that blank.
    Last edited by RIP; 03-05-2011 at 03:40 PM.
    ******** We took the time to answer your post. Please give us some time and post the fix. You'll help hundreds. ********

**** Follow all prescribed safety procedures before attempting any repairs. If in doubt, refer to a maintenance manual. ****

Thanks

I think somebody else posted something like this a few months back.

What you are seeing is the instrument cluster self test. You can MAKE it do this, by holding down the odometer reset button with the car turned off, until the self-test starts. The needles will move, and all lights and LEDs will light up. It takes about 20 seconds.

Seems to me that I saw that someone else ran the self test and the problem went away.

Could be just the connection at the end of the odometer reset button is dirty and the cluster is responding as though the button was pushed.
    Michael
    Centreville, VA
    Currently driving:
    2005 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT, 120K mi.
    Former owner of:
    1988 Dodge Caravan SE, 2.5L I4 (1988-1995, 99K mi); 1995 Plymouth Grand Voyager SE "Rallye", 3.3L (1995-2004, 169K mi); 2003 Grand Caravan Sport, 3.8L, (2004-2008, 106K mi), 2008 Nissan Quest, (2008-2010, 25K mi)

Other vehicles:
    2008 Lexus RX400h (Dark Gray), 98K mi; 2005 Hyundai Elantra GT (Blue), 75K mi

9. The Following User Says Thank You to mmahamm For This Useful Post:

rodo01 (03-22-2011)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mmahamm View Post
    I think somebody else posted something like this a few months back.

What you are seeing is the instrument cluster self test. You can MAKE it do this, by holding down the odometer reset button with the car turned off, until the self-test starts. The needles will move, and all lights and LEDs will light up. It takes about 20 seconds.

Seems to me that I saw that someone else ran the self test and the problem went away.

Could be just the connection at the end of the odometer reset button is dirty and the cluster is responding as though the button was pushed.
    Thank you for the advice,
    As for trying to know what the cause be for the sudden irregular movements of the needles and lighting of the speedometer-cluster, I did that cluster self-test this morning while pressing the odometer reset button and something in particular besides being the lights turning on and off, and needles moving all over the place caught my attention. I saw some sort of messages like "E of 3.3", "E 100.1, and "E 207.3". What could this mean?

Thanks

+ Reply to Thread