The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

Gascap warning

51K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  asamek 
#1 ·
This morning, the van dinged at me and the word "gascap" appeared on my odometer. No codes or check engine lights.

I fiddled with the cap, cleaned the cap and replaced it after resetting the odometer.

Warning came back on after restarting.

Bought a new gas cap. No difference.

Like I said, it's not throwing any codes or tripping any other warning lights. No driveability issues either. Just annoying.

Any ideas what else I should look for?

Thanks! :confused:

#2 ·
Patience...it takes many drive cycles for the warning to go out.

I think a good description is on ALLPAR
“To clear the gascap warning/check engine light. Start the engine and drive forward then in reverse (you only have to move the truck a few feet in each direction) then turn the ignition off. Do this sequence three times. When you start the vehicle the fourth time the check engine light should go out.”
Never tried it on our van, though. It took several days to clear the CEL after we inadvertently left the gas cap off our 2002.

#5 ·
Thanks all.

Actually, I have a Scanguage - today the check engine light came on, with code p0457, which is the evap system. The Scanguage is old, though, and for some reason isn't able to clear the code (it could on my old GMC van and on my wife's Regal).

Anyway, it's not a big deal - just a nuisance. I'll probably get it looked at next time I need the shop.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.