Gascap warning

ChryslerMiniVan.net is the premier Chrysler Minivan Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Gascap warning

Thanks

Gascap warning

This morning, the van dinged at me and the word "gascap" appeared on my odometer. No codes or check engine lights.

I fiddled with the cap, cleaned the cap and replaced it after resetting the odometer.

Warning came back on after restarting.

Bought a new gas cap. No difference.

Like I said, it's not throwing any codes or tripping any other warning lights. No driveability issues either. Just annoying.

Any ideas what else I should look for?

Thanks!
    '06 T&C LX

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chrysler Minivan Forums
    Advertisements

Thanks

Patience...it takes many drive cycles for the warning to go out.

I think a good description is on ALLPAR
    “To clear the gascap warning/check engine light. Start the engine and drive forward then in reverse (you only have to move the truck a few feet in each direction) then turn the ignition off. Do this sequence three times. When you start the vehicle the fourth time the check engine light should go out.”
    Never tried it on our van, though. It took several days to clear the CEL after we inadvertently left the gas cap off our 2002.
    Atwell "Buff" Haines
    Northern NJ
    2002 Grand Caravan ES "Extra Special"...
    Blue
    3.8L, Touring Suspension, 17" Alloys, and Autostick

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Carbuff2 For This Useful Post:

asamek (02-19-2011)

Thanks

More info: http://dodgeram.info/tsb/2006/14-001-06.htm

Could come down to having a shop do a smoke check to trace down a small leak regardless of lack of a DTC code.
    ******** We took the time to answer your post. Please give us some time and post the fix. You'll help hundreds. ********

**** Follow all prescribed safety procedures before attempting any repairs. If in doubt, refer to a maintenance manual. ****

96 Gr Caravan LE 3.8, 206K miles
    07 Fusion / 06 RAV 4 / 06 Accord / 94 Camry

Thanks

A scanner for these vans can be bought for about $79 at any auto parts store. That allows you to read, interpret, and erase all codes. The same scanner will work on all cars built since 1997. It's an essential tool. Buy one.

Thanks

Thanks all.

Actually, I have a Scanguage - today the check engine light came on, with code p0457, which is the evap system. The Scanguage is old, though, and for some reason isn't able to clear the code (it could on my old GMC van and on my wife's Regal).

Anyway, it's not a big deal - just a nuisance. I'll probably get it looked at next time I need the shop.
    '06 T&C LX

+ Reply to Thread