1997 3.3L Ply Voy: strange mix of Tranny / Tranny Display problems

ChryslerMiniVan.net is the premier Chrysler Minivan Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 1997 3.3L Ply Voy: strange mix of Tranny / Tranny Display problems

Thanks

1997 3.3L Ply Voy: strange mix of Tranny / Tranny Display problems

1997 Plymouth Voyager 3.3L 188k miles

Transmission trouble:
    In P and N, "all" the gears are indicated on the display, as if at test pattern.
    R, OD, 3 display normal and function normal (except extra slipping at shift).
    Tranny will not be forced into Low, and display will not show "L" (shows "L" then jumps back to "3").
    P Code has shown P0700 and P1784 (and misfiring, which new plugs fixed).
    Other than slipping (2nd to 3rd I think) and refusing to go into Low, driving is fine.

Have always used ATF+3/+4. Noisy little "bzzzzz zzz zzz zzp" sounds normal.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chrysler Minivan Forums
    Advertisements

Thanks

Sounds like the range sensor is faulty. It is the switch that lets the TCM know where the shifter is at. If this is the problem, replacement requires dropping the valve body. Although if it is slipping going into 3rd as well, maybe consider an overhaul.
    Candy the van. '98 Sport 3.8L 132,200 miles. Used trans at ~96k. Great piece of my life and a fine van.

'69 GTO drop top
    www.facebook.com/people/Andy-Greif/1410438927

Thanks

Thanks AndyG. Could it be something as simple as a grounding problem?

Thanks

Perhaps you have low fluid. My range display does that if fluid is low.

Thanks

I am intimately familiar with low fluid symptoms, having had a leaking seal a few years ago. Typically you don't notice any problem at all, until the first cold morning it simply won't go into gear. You freak out (oh no, a tranny problem!!) and then you rev it a bit, and then it pops into gear finally.

(But I will check the level again just to be sure.)

Thanks

The fluid should not have anything to do with the actual lighting of the gear selector and a ground problem would not vary on lever position. What led me to the range sensor was that it works fine in 3 of the positions and acts up in the other 3.
    Candy the van. '98 Sport 3.8L 132,200 miles. Used trans at ~96k. Great piece of my life and a fine van.

'69 GTO drop top

Thanks

Thanks AndyG: yes, it's a strange mix of electrical and mechanical symptoms. I tried to re-train the tranny a week ago, and as I recall, most of the slipping was actually 1st to 2nd at that time. Does that make a huge difference for you, whether it's 1st to 2nd or 2nd to 3rd?

(And is the range sensor a big job. I have done zero tranny work in my life.)

Thanks

The range sensor is a fairly labor intensive job as it requires dropping the valve body out of the trans. Depending on your love for the car, you may just want to drive it until it dies, or have the trans gone through and be good for many more miles. That would depend on the shape the van is mechanically and cosmetically of course.

Also, I obviously can't be 100% sure the range sensor is the problem, but it sure sounds like it. Other members may come around over the next few days with other ideas as well.

'69 GTO drop top

Thanks

Thanks AndyG: The fact that the PRND3L all light up in park and neutral: is that some aspect of the normal signalling protocol, like it's attempting a "limp" mode or something like that?

I'll check back here often, and keep poking around in my service manuals (Chrysler and Haynes) and on the vehicle.

Thanks

P0700 = A/T transmission control circuit malfunction
    P1784 = A/T Additional L/R Pressure Switch Circuit Malfunction (Fix this and the P0700 goes away)
    Last edited by RIP; 02-08-2011 at 09:52 PM.
    ******** We took the time to answer your post. Please give us some time and post the fix. You'll help hundreds. ********

**** Follow all prescribed safety procedures before attempting any repairs. If in doubt, refer to a maintenance manual. ****

96 Gr Caravan LE 3.8, 206K miles
    07 Fusion / 06 RAV 4 / 06 Accord / 94 Camry

+ Reply to Thread