P0441 Code Cleared: How Long Will It Stay Gone?

ChryslerMiniVan.net is the premier Chrysler Minivan Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: P0441 Code Cleared: How Long Will It Stay Gone?

Thanks

P0441 Code Cleared: How Long Will It Stay Gone?

My 2002 3.3L V6 Voyager's Check Engine Light came on; just in time for me to have an issue right before I have to get an Emissions Inspection. The code, P0441, has been discussed at length on this board in other threads. For now, I just cleared the code.

Last year, I also had an Emissions-related CE Light; the issue turned out to be a cracked hose under the airbox. However, last year's issue would have the CE light back on rather quickly after it being cleared. This time, not yet (I cleared it on Friday, and haven't done much driving since).

How long distance/driving time has to pass before I can go forward with the Emissions Inspection? I learned a few years ago that (of course) you cannot get an inspection right after clearing a CEL cause code.

Any insight will be appreciated. Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chrysler Minivan Forums
    Advertisements

Thanks

The most effective thing would be to find the EVAP leak and repair it. As with any EVAP leak, there is really no telling how long the light will stay off. It may stay off until you fill up next time, it may come on tomorrow.

One question, you are not fueling the vehicle with the vehicle running or with the key turned on are you? That will cause the light to come on as well if the EVAP system runs the natural vacuum leak detection test during a fill-up.
    Jeff
    http://www.facebook.com/eddie.munster
    Current:
    2007 Grand Caravan/3.8L V6/103K mi/original 41TE
    2006 300C/5.7L HEMI V8/128/K mi/original W5A580
    2002 PT Cruiser/2.4L I4/139K mi/original 40TE
    1992 S-10/4.3L V6/249K mi/original 4L60E
    Previous minivans:
    1997 Grand Voyager SE/traded@192K mi/3.3L V6/original 41TE
    2003 Grand Caravan Sport/3.8L V6/traded@124K mi/original 41TE
    2007 T&C/3.8L V6/traded@44K mi/ original 41TE
    2010 T&C Touring/3.8L V6/the ex's@72K mi/original 62TE

Thanks

No, definitely not filling up with the motor running.

Unfortunately, I just don't have much free time to attempt in resolving it myself. And paying a mechanic to do it is like having all my teeth pulled by someone using a pair of channel locks - as in not pleasant.

Thanks

Keep driving it. Maybe you can sneak through inspection...
    Jeff
    http://www.facebook.com/eddie.munster
    Current:
    2007 Grand Caravan/3.8L V6/103K mi/original 41TE
    2006 300C/5.7L HEMI V8/128/K mi/original W5A580
    2002 PT Cruiser/2.4L I4/139K mi/original 40TE
    1992 S-10/4.3L V6/249K mi/original 4L60E
    Previous minivans:
    1997 Grand Voyager SE/traded@192K mi/3.3L V6/original 41TE
    2003 Grand Caravan Sport/3.8L V6/traded@124K mi/original 41TE
    2007 T&C/3.8L V6/traded@44K mi/ original 41TE
    2010 T&C Touring/3.8L V6/the ex's@72K mi/original 62TE

Thanks
    Thanked 1,285 Times in 1,053 Posts

My CEL comes on a couple of times in the Fall with a small leak code (P0442), and stays off the rest of the year. Your problem may be sporatic or a glitch.
    This site explains the codes. http://www.obd-codes.com/p0441
    2007 GC SXT - Magnesium - S&G - 3.8L - 115,600 kms
    2002 GC Sport - Stone White - 3.3L - 314,240 kms
    2003 Jeep TJ Sport - 4.0L - 246,430 kms

Thanks

******** We took the time to answer your post. Please give us some time and post the fix. You'll help hundreds. ********

**** Follow all prescribed safety procedures before attempting any repairs. If in doubt, refer to a maintenance manual. ****

96 Gr Caravan LE 3.8, 212K miles
    07 Fusion / 06 RAV 4 / 06 Accord

Thanks

Emission Test

Quote Originally Posted by YamahaRick View Post
    My 2002 3.3L V6 Voyager's Check Engine Light came on; just in time for me to have an issue right before I have to get an Emissions Inspection. The code, P0441, has been discussed at length on this board in other threads. For now, I just cleared the code.

Last year, I also had an Emissions-related CE Light; the issue turned out to be a cracked hose under the airbox. However, last year's issue would have the CE light back on rather quickly after it being cleared. This time, not yet (I cleared it on Friday, and haven't done much driving since).

How long distance/driving time has to pass before I can go forward with the Emissions Inspection? I learned a few years ago that (of course) you cannot get an inspection right after clearing a CEL cause code.

Any insight will be appreciated. Thanks.
    When you clear CEL all "MONITOR" functions also get reset. Depending on model there are 7-9 monitor functions, such as the evap. system leakage. Please refer to Chrysler service manuals for detail. The problem is that sometimes several run cycles (and several days) are required to establish proper operation. In fact, if your gas tank is above 3/4 full the evap. test will not be done. I believe outside air temp may also be a factor. The CEL can be off and you will fail the test if all monitors are not proper. Some auto stores ,such as AUTOZONE will check status for free. Good luck.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rangercreek View Post
    The CEL can be off and you will fail the test if all monitors are not proper.
    Yes, I am aware of that; hence this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by rangercreek View Post
    Some auto stores ,such as AUTOZONE will check status for free. Good luck.
    I actually used an OBD scanner from an Advance Auto Parts store to clear the code. I have a OBD tool that runs on a PC (Elmscan 5; got it working just today) that shows no active codes, but I cannot recall if it can show a "status" of the system (as in "it's ready to be tested"). I'll have to check it again in a day or two.

Speaking of Elmscan ... is the upgrade worth it? While I am not disappointed in the product's performance, more inforation is always better. Perhaps a freeware alternative someone can suggest? TIA.

Thanks

Here in Ohio if there is no CEL but the computer is not ready, they will do the tailpipe test and actually check the emissions. As long as there are no major issues, you should be able to pass that. Check into it.
    2002 Town & Country Limited 150K
    2007 Toyota Avalon
    2002 Honda Accord

Thanks

In GA, the computer has to have completed its cycle for you to complete the test. They give you a 30 day window for a free re-test.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply