Intriguing Post 2014 mini mini-van?

ChryslerMiniVan.net is the premier Chrysler Minivan Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Intriguing Post 2014 mini mini-van?

Thanks

Intriguing Post 2014 mini mini-van?

Intriguing Post.....
    But, here's the story:

http://www.cbc.ca/consumer/story/201...i-minivan.html
    2002 T&C Ltd.
    White w/Gray 145,000+ miles
    1997 T&C Lxi
    Green w/Tan 225,000 before sold

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chrysler Minivan Forums
    Advertisements

Thanks
    It's not quite the same thing (as was slipped to press in this case) but there's been talk (for a long time) that the SWB version is supposed to be re-introduced with a narrower track with the aim of pleasing the European and overseas market where the bigger sized vans have hard time maneuvering...
    This can be just another "way of looking" at the "smaller" van...

The sad part is that there's been no talk of significant fuel economy boost...
    relevant vehicle: '05 -=C=- T&C Ltd @~110K

Thanks
    I will welcome a smaller minivan. It seems to me that everybody's minivan is getting larger and heavier especially if one compares Gen-1 with Gen-5 or Toyota Previa vs Siena. It would be nice if Chrysler/Fiat would make a vehicle similar to the Ford C-Max size or the 1974 Colt Vista. I owned two of the Colt Vista's (74 & 75) and they were great small people movers and I kept them both over 150K miles.

Frank
    96 Grand Voyager retired
    99 DGC Sport retired at 137K miles (still running fine for my friend at 152K)
    07 T&C SWB with 31365 miles

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Flavife For This Useful Post:

jazztrumpet216 (07-09-2011)

Thanks
    One of the comments to the story:
    "Mazda has been selling the Mazda 5 since 2006. 50,000+ sold so far. With fuel prices on the rise again is there a market for this kind of vehicle? I think so."
    My 2001 SWB is getting old, but I can't replace it with anything out there currently for sale. The Mazda5 would fit the bill if the seats were removable and had a flat floor. I'm hoping that the 2014 will be a true small minivan, not a crossover created from a sedan with a sedan floorpan.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunvanse View Post
    One of the comments to the story:
    "Mazda has been selling the Mazda 5 since 2006. 50,000+ sold so far. With fuel prices on the rise again is there a market for this kind of vehicle? I think so."
    My 2001 SWB is getting old, but I can't replace it with anything out there currently for sale. The Mazda5 would fit the bill if the seats were removable and had a flat floor. I'm hoping that the 2014 will be a true small minivan, not a crossover created from a sedan with a sedan floorpan.
    Like this? http://www.edmunds.com/ford/transit-connect/2011/ Given the move by all automakers to globalize platforms (which is a good thing), it is unlikely that such a vehicle won't be based on a sedan platform. Whether they can give it a flat floor depends on how much they want to distort the platform.

I have a coworker who purchased a Mazda5 a few months ago after his wife was in a crash that totalled her car. I've driven it and it seems... okay. But I'm with you: the lack of a flat floor (and the non-removable seats) are deal-killers for me. Plus, the fuel economy isn't so much better that I see the reduction in size as a good trade.
    Caraturd2: 2006 DGC SE, 27k miles.
    Caraturd: 2000 DGC Sport, 126k. My first minivan, with badly rusting strut towers that ended its life prematurely. Unceremoniously junked on 7/23/2013.
    2003 Ford Focus ZX5, 5-spd. 135k.
    1987 Pontiac Fiero coupe. Runs but won't stop. | 1986 Pontiac Fiero GT. Doesn't run. | 1987 Pontiac Fiero GT (with turbocharger!) Doesn't run. See a pattern? Fieros don't work!

Thanks
    [QUOTE=DaveInColumbus;193307]Like this? http://www.edmunds.com/ford/transit-connect/2011/ Given the move by all automakers to globalize platforms (which is a good thing), it is unlikely that such a vehicle won't be based on a sedan platform. Whether they can give it a flat floor depends on how much they want to distort the platform.

I cant see getting a Transit Connect when You can get a Caravan C/V at approx the same MSRP/EPA. The Ford makes sense only if it is used exclusively for short trips/deliveries. Its too bad that the smaller vehicles, Mazda5 or Ford Transit don't acheive signifigant better MPG's, though I have read reports of Mazda5 owners routinely getting 30 MPG HWY.

Thanks
    [QUOTE=Sunvanse;193373]
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveInColumbus View Post
    Like this? http://www.edmunds.com/ford/transit-connect/2011/ Given the move by all automakers to globalize platforms (which is a good thing), it is unlikely that such a vehicle won't be based on a sedan platform. Whether they can give it a flat floor depends on how much they want to distort the platform.

I cant see getting a Transit Connect when You can get a Caravan C/V at approx the same MSRP/EPA. The Ford makes sense only if it is used exclusively for short trips/deliveries. Its too bad that the smaller vehicles, Mazda5 or Ford Transit don't acheive signifigant better MPG's, though I have read reports of Mazda5 owners routinely getting 30 MPG HWY.
    Well you can get a window van version of the Transit Connect, again being about the same price as the Caravan really(I think). seats 5 people, rear seats are removable. the amount of head room, is enormous as well (big surprise seeing its roofline). I know the new C-Max coming around eventually will have a fold flat floor, but the seats aren't removable. But in all fairness the new Caravans you can't remove the seats either.

And about this mini-minivan. They probably saw that Mazda and Ford have something for this segment and seeing as gas prices are only going to go one way. they are looking into jumping on board. I'd imagine it would be based more so on a small Fiat (maybe like the Fiat Panda), then say the Dodge Caliber.
    Im 24 and my parents own a 2007 Dodge Caliber SXT (1.8l 74k miles 5spd), a 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT(3.8l 41TE 106k miles), a 2001 Chrysler PT Cruiser ((which is mine) 2.4l 115k miles 41TE), 2000 Ford Mustang base (3.8l, 4 spd auto 26k miles), and a 2000 Dodge Grand Caravan Sport(sold @ 122337 miles)

Thanks
    In 2005 I bought my first minivan, after my 3rd child was born, and I chose the Mazda MPV for the exact reason you guys are discussing. It was the only van that was actually mini. Mine was a 2000 so only had the 2.5L and I wish mine had the 3L but in any case it got great economy and it handled like a sportscar. Relatively, that is. By my seat of pants reckoning no other minivan handles near as well. The only reason I don't still have it is in 2008 my parents wanted to give me their 98 PGV which they bought new and was in pristine condition except for the collision damage on the front corner courtesy my neice. I didn't get it on the road until late 2009, then sold the MPV because a bit of rust appeared, needed some major exhaust work, new shocks, etc which all added up to too much, but I really loved it. If I am to be honest, if I didn't get a free Voyager in mint condition, as much as I like it, If I had to replace my MPV with my own money, I would have bought another MPV. I still reccommend them, which is not to say they don't have their problems.
    sent from my Univac using Assembler.
    http://forum.chryslerminivan.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=13818&dateline=124855  5576
    98 Grand Voyager LE Deep Cranberry 3.3L
    08 Grand Caravan SXT Silver 3.3L
    07 Impala SS, 323 cubic inches divided into 8 mighty pots.

Thanks
    The MPV (and I am guessing/hoping the upcoming Ford version) has another sporty feature.....A 6 speed manual. It is possibly more of a Man Van than the Dodge R/T when equipped with the 6 speed.
    Grant
    Mopars currently owned:
    2013 Chrysler Town and Country L
    1975 Dodge D-100 4x4 400

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by gsmagnum View Post
    The MPV (and I am guessing/hoping the upcoming Ford version) has another sporty feature.....A 6 speed manual. It is possibly more of a Man Van than the Dodge R/T when equipped with the 6 speed.
    Its pretty likely that Ford WON'T have a manual at all in the C-Max, instead their 6 speed power shift automatic. because Ford thinks everyone wants an automatic, Ford's loss of potential customers.

ps slightly off topic, but i heard the Fiat 500, is selling more manuals, then automatics.
    Im 24 and my parents own a 2007 Dodge Caliber SXT (1.8l 74k miles 5spd), a 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT(3.8l 41TE 106k miles), a 2001 Chrysler PT Cruiser ((which is mine) 2.4l 115k miles 41TE), 2000 Ford Mustang base (3.8l, 4 spd auto 26k miles), and a 2000 Dodge Grand Caravan Sport(sold @ 122337 miles)

+ Reply to Thread