Broken injector tip!

ChryslerMiniVan.net is the premier Chrysler Minivan Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Broken injector tip!

Thanks

Unhappy Broken injector tip!

Hi all,

I was working on replacing an intake manifold gasket that was leaking coolant, and the nylon/plastic tip of one of the injectors broke off as I was removing the fuel rail. I managed to retrieve the broken piece from down by the valve stem, but am not sure what to do about the injector. I haven't found a source for that particular piece yet, though the entire injector is about $66 or so from the dealer.

Injector tip with and without the plastic piece:

top_view_1_small.jpgtop_view_2_small.jpg

Any ideas on 1) where the plastic piece could be obtained, 2) how important it is (beyond keeping the o-ring in place when the injector is removed)?

- G
    1998 Grand Voyager @283,000mi, 3.3L FFV V6

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chrysler Minivan Forums
    Advertisements

Thanks

Get a few injectors from the junkyard for $10, the 3.3's are VERY common and finding a flex fuel one isn't too bad either.
    Candy the van. '98 Sport 3.8L 132,200 miles. Used trans at ~96k. Great piece of my life and a fine van.

'69 GTO drop top
    www.facebook.com/people/Andy-Greif/1410438927

Thanks

If that seal is at the interface of the injector and the manifold, then it is a critical part because air will leak around it. I don't have a diagram of the intake to know if that's the purpose of this part.

Injectors are everywhere, so I wouldn't buy one from the dealer. Junkyards, discount auto parts stores, and the internet are flooded with them. There are 10's of millions of these, so everybody has them new, used, and reconditioned.

There is something else you could try: an O-ring. I cannot say for sure if this will work, but other vehicles on which I've played with the fuel injectors used simple O-rings to seal the injector at the manifold. Auto parts stores have O-rings, as do most home improvement stores or hardware stores.
    Caraturd2: 2006 DGC SE, 27k miles.
    Caraturd: 2000 DGC Sport, 126k. My first minivan, with badly rusting strut towers that ended its life prematurely. Unceremoniously junked on 7/23/2013.
    2003 Ford Focus ZX5, 5-spd. 135k.
    1987 Pontiac Fiero coupe. Runs but won't stop. | 1986 Pontiac Fiero GT. Doesn't run. | 1987 Pontiac Fiero GT (with turbocharger!) Doesn't run. See a pattern? Fieros don't work!

Thanks

My guess is that the plastic piece is there to protect the sealing ring from being nicked by the sharp edge of the machined bore in the manifold.
    With some care, you might be able to do without it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DaveInColumbus View Post
    If that seal is at the interface of the injector and the manifold, then it is a critical part because air will leak around it. I don't have a diagram of the intake to know if that's the purpose of this part.
    The broken piece isn't the seal - it appears to be the seal retainer, possibly also helping to shape the spray pattern.

Quote Originally Posted by alvin View Post
    My guess is that the plastic piece is there to protect the sealing ring from being nicked by the sharp edge of the machined bore in the manifold. With some care, you might be able to do without it.
    Thanks; I'm becoming more convinced that's the route I may take until I have more time available to take care of this -- in which case I may spring for a set of matched reconditioned injectors (lots of places sell 'em). I'll just have to be careful next time I pull the rail off so the o-ring doesn't fall into the engine.

My thinking is that I'm having to weigh the effect of a single replacement injector causing a mild cylinder imbalance issue, vs. the potential for an undetermined amount of change in the injector spray pattern. Not sure there's a perfect answer, but with the very limited time I have right now...

- G
    1998 Grand Voyager @283,000mi, 3.3L FFV V6

Thanks

I'd just buy a reconditioned one instead of risking using the one you have, but you could always try and see if it works if you're in a bind.
    Quote Originally Posted by greenlight View Post
    The broken piece isn't the seal - it appears to be the seal retainer, possibly also helping to shape the spray pattern.

Thanks; I'm becoming more convinced that's the route I may take until I have more time available to take care of this -- in which case I may spring for a set of matched reconditioned injectors (lots of places sell 'em). I'll just have to be careful next time I pull the rail off so the o-ring doesn't fall into the engine.

My thinking is that I'm having to weigh the effect of a single replacement injector causing a mild cylinder imbalance issue, vs. the potential for an undetermined amount of change in the injector spray pattern. Not sure there's a perfect answer, but with the very limited time I have right now...

- G
    96 Town and Country LXi
    '01 Honda S2000 with boost (448whp 302ft/lbs on pump, 562whp 416ft/lbs on Q16)

Thanks

Replacing one injector will not cause any imbalance issues. The PCM will change the fuel trim as it sees fit to make everything perfect.
    Candy the van. '98 Sport 3.8L 132,200 miles. Used trans at ~96k. Great piece of my life and a fine van.

'69 GTO drop top
    www.facebook.com/people/Andy-Greif/1410438927

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply