windshield wipers won't turn off ???

ChryslerMiniVan.net is the premier Chrysler Minivan Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: windshield wipers won't turn off ???

Thanks

windshield wipers won't turn off ???

2005 T&C ... Has this happened to anyone ???
    The wipers won't turn off... they will adjust from normal to fast, but not intermittent...
    here's the crazy part, the wipers stay on even when the van is turned off and the keys are out. The only way to stop them is to pull the fuze !!!
    Any ideas PLEASE...

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chrysler Minivan Forums
    Advertisements

T&CFan Guest

Welcome to the forum, Dave. Yes, this is a common "feature" of Chrysler minivans. If you do a search on "phantom wipers," you'll see comments from others on this issue. -Ken

Thanks

A new wiper motor is in your future. Seems like the first time I've heard of this from a 4th gen. Normally only 3rd gens.
    Candy the van. '98 Sport 3.8L 132,200 miles. Used trans at ~96k. Great piece of my life and a fine van.

'69 GTO drop top
    www.facebook.com/people/Andy-Greif/1410438927

Thanks

The park switch has failed. It is located in the wiper motor. The fix is to replace the wiper motor, about $80 for a rebuilt part.

Thanks

Hi Dave,

This happened to our '02 this past summer. Our symptoms were wipers that wouldn't turn off (but would sometimes stay off after disconnecting the battery for 10 min), or would sometimes turn on by themselves. No other electrical irregularities, so I eliminated the BCM as a possible cause. I trouble shot the switch on the steering column, but that turned out to be okay. I replaced the wiper motor assembly (on 4th gen vans, the wiper motor is permanently attached to support arms) but that didn't solve my problem (and I still have a spare wiper motor if you need it). It turned out to be the wiper relay. There are two. I replaced one (for 10 bucks) and voila, no more problem.
    2008 Subaru WRX
    2002 T&C 3.8L
    2000 A4
    1999 T&C

Thanks

My wipers did the same thing on my 96 t&c when the negative cable came loose at the post. As soon as I tightened it the wiper problem stopped. Seems a bad connection on pos or neg can greatly affect wipers, gauges, and cause engine to continue to run after key off and out. This has happened three times to my 96 and was easily cured by whacking(gently) neg or pos connection or cleaning terminals.

Thanks

windshield wipers won't turn off ??? - I think I figured mine out...

I too had the 'phantom' wiper issue on our 2005 Caravan. My wife didn't appreciate the fact she had to pull the fuse to fix the issue. I started looking under the hood to see if a drain was plugged near the wiper motor. What I did find was a drain hose that appeared to come from the wiper motor compartment under the hood was pinched in the air filter compartment. We have had some rain, but I need to get the hose out and drench the area to see if the issue reoccurs. We only have 91K on this van and I wasn't ready to get rid of it. Check this out if you find that your wipers won't turn off even after the key is removed.

Thanks

Just fixed this phantom issue..put a new wiper motor in with no change..turned out being the relays were a little corroded, so i scraped them clean with my pocketknife and they it has been good ever since
    2003 Chrysler T&C Limited 3.8 Liter AWD 134,000

Thanks

same issue here, 96000kms and phantom whipers since day 1, they refuse to fix the problem until i parked the van and show them. it was out of waranty by the time i was able to show them the issue so I had to pay 400$ for the change of the whiper switch. the next week, problem started all over again and i called them, they give me an appointment but I had no time then to have it fix and loose the van for 24hrs since its a business van. this AM i called again after the whipers where going crazy on the dry windshield and i explained him what I had found online about the whiper motors.. he said it did make sens and will check it when I go for the appointment next week... hopefully they will not charge me AGAIN since they where unable to fix the issue the first time...

Thanks

just got a call from the garage, they couln't get a code so they can't fix anything.. unless it happen in front of them, I can't have it fix.....

+ Reply to Thread