The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

Brake line routing/diagram

36K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Mazda626awd 
#1 · (Edited)
I need to look for a possible very small brake fluid leak. Does anyone have or know of a brake line routing diagram, or pictorial drawing, etc? Factory manual doesn't have one. Particularly interested in the front section (engine bay area).

Edit: van has ABS and no traction control.

#2 ·
Have you checked the master cylinder? It seems like these like to fail on these vans, and generally result in a nearly undetectable leak.

G
#3 ·
The brake lines in our '96 completely failed one day at a repair shop after noticing a similar leak on our garage floor. My friendly mechanic hopped in and pressed on the brake pedal. Boooosh!! Both lines failed under the port side sliding door. Imagine if wife or I had been driving at the time. The van had the Mopar running boards, so I figured they were channeling corrosive road chemicals onto the lines, but that was just a guess (the running boards were rusting out so I had them removed). Anyway, the shop installed new lines and all was better. I filed a report with NHTSA and they had me mail them the failed lines (the shop put them in a box for me when I picked up the van). Never heard another word from NHTSA. -Ken

#4 ·
Yes, I checked the master cylinder, no leaks. I'm losing a very small amount of brake fluid, but more than can be attributed to normal brake wear. I need to go through and inspect every line and every connection, that's why a diagram would be helpful. Much easier to locate the lines in the engine bay.

#7 ·
The lines for the rear leave the ABS unit (under the driver's feet under the van), run along the inside of the frame rail drivers side, and go between that frame rail and gas tank (where you can't see them - - Hmmm?). They come out inside of the driver side rear wheel well, and somehow go to a load sensing valve, split up and go to each rear wheel along the axle. Not a picture or diagram, but at least you know where to look!

#8 ·
Dgtc, My 97 T/C started leaking from where lines leave the proportioning valve and disappear behind the fuel tank. The factory manual has only a line diagram and service centers want you to bring it to them. The only way around this is to get under there and chek. You should see a trail of fluid. If its wet on the gas tank, then you got the same problem I had. I've wrote my story out in other posts, check "rear brake problems=help"

97 T/C 192K miles origional trans
5 mazda 626s:goodluck2

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.