Removing and replacing the transmission Solenoid Pack w/ pictures

ChryslerMiniVan.net is the premier Chrysler Minivan Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Removing and replacing the transmission Solenoid Pack w/ pictures

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jeepman View Post
    Check your cooler line connections first (if you haven't already). They can develop leaks during cold weather.
    Thanks, I did check the hoses.

Quick question, if I am only changing the gasket, do I need to remove the hoses and sensor from the pack?
    TIA,
    Bob
    2001 T & C 3.8L 2WD
    1996 Land Rover Discovery
    1982 Porsche 928

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chrysler Minivan Forums
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Thanked 1,202 Times in 985 Posts

The solenoid pack is connected by 3 vertical bolts to a shelf that protrudes out from the transmission. Hoses and sensor are not connected to the solenoid pack but are in the way of removing the pack. I believe sheldon only removed the sensor and worked around the cooler lines per his Post and pictures.
    2007 GC SXT - Magnesium - S&G - 3.8L - 115,600 kms
    2002 GC Sport - Stone White - 3.3L - 314,240 kms
    2003 Jeep TJ Sport - 4.0L - 246,430 kms

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jeepman View Post
    The solenoid pack is connected by 3 vertical bolts to a shelf that protrudes out from the transmission. Hoses and sensor are not connected to the solenoid pack but are in the way of removing the pack. I believe sheldon only removed the sensor and worked around the cooler lines per his Post and pictures.
    That's right, I did not want to do any more than was necessary so I only removed the sensor to get to the middle bolt. There was plenty of room under the hoses to get in the socket. (I know it's a bit hard to see in the photo, but you can see the silver of the socket just coming to the flats of the sensor)
    Incidentally, it is a pain to know I have a known good sol pack that was replaced only because of a leak. However, if you remove the side of the sol pack where the leak apparently comes from you could damage the insides. In other words, darned if you do and darned if you don't.
    2002 T&C Ltd.
    White w/Gray 145,000+ miles
    1997 T&C Lxi
    Green w/Tan 225,000 before sold

Thanks

Oh, I get it now. Thank you guys so much for your help. I will try the gasket this weekend and report back.
    Bob
    2001 T & C 3.8L 2WD
    1982 Porsche 928

Thanks

I remove the cooler lines and sensor. So I guess either way works.
    Candy the van. '98 Sport 3.8L 132,200 miles. Used trans at ~96k. Great piece of my life and a fine van.

'69 GTO drop top
    www.facebook.com/people/Andy-Greif/1410438927

Thanks

Guys, I just wanted to say thank you. Replaced the gasket and all is well. Until I saw this post, I was ready to take the car to the transmission shop (which is strictly forbidden in my religion). $5 fix and it is going great.
    BTW, on my 01, 3.8L, it was much easier removing the cooler lines (which took all of about 10 senconds).
    Thanks so much for your help!!!!
    Bob
    2001 T & C 3.8L 2WD
    1982 Porsche 928

Thanks

Sheldon,
    You gave me a clue to a similar problem. My son has a '96 Stratus that drips ATF. I changed the pan gasket with no luck so I was suspecting the solenoid pack (similar setup to the vans). A few weeks ago I had the car in my garage and jacked up the front to replace the timing belt and water pump (2.4L). I carefully wiped off the bottom of the transmission so I could locate that pesky leak as I knew the car would be in the garage for a few days. After three days - nothing! BUT, you say that jacking the vehicle up would move the ATF rearward away from the solenoid pack. That could explain why I found no leakage. It's probably the solenoid pack after all.

Bill
    2001 Dodge Grand Caravan Sport, 3.3 flex-fuel V6

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dodgeboy77 View Post
    BUT, you say that jacking the vehicle up would move the ATF rearward away from the solenoid pack. That could explain why I found no leakage. It's probably the solenoid pack after all. Bill
    Bill,

When I removed the Solenoid Pack I could see the level of fluid was about 1/8 inch (or so) below the surface of where the Solenoid Pack had been attached. I felt that if the van had been jacked up from one point, front or side, it would have tilted the level of the transmission, perhaps enough to spill the fluid out.
    That said, it is also possible my observation and conclusion could be wrong. But, it does seem to make sense.

Finding a fluid leak is rarely a fun proposition, desperation led me to find mine. You might consider cleaning the area around the suspected leak, then going for a drive followed by an immediate under-vehicle inspection. Good Luck!
    2002 T&C Ltd.
    White w/Gray 145,000+ miles
    1997 T&C Lxi
    Green w/Tan 225,000 before sold

10. The Following User Says Thank You to sheldon! For This Useful Post:

Jeepman (01-07-2011)

Thanks

I'm a little confused, can one just replaced the gasket instead of forking out the money for the solenoid pack? and do you recommend to do the change with the van sitting on all four tires or jacked?

My understanding is that yes the solenoid pack gasket can be changed without buying the whole solenoid pack. And the job needs to be done without lifting the van up to prevent major loss of tranny fluid. Please let me know if I'm right or wrong.

Thanks a lot for the useful post,

Carlos

Thanks
    Thanked 1,202 Times in 985 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by carlosandcamy View Post
    I'm a little confused, can one just replaced the gasket instead of forking out the money for the solenoid pack? and do you recommend to do the change with the van sitting on all four tires or jacked?

My understanding is that yes the solenoid pack gasket can be changed without buying the whole solenoid pack. And the job needs to be done without lifting the van up to prevent major loss of tranny fluid. Please let me know if I'm right or wrong.

Thanks a lot for the useful post,

Carlos
    Looking at Post #1, I would say you are correct.
    Work is done from the top. Gaskets can be purchased separately. For my vehicle the Part # is 04659982 for the gasket by itself and 05140429AA for the solenoid pack which includes a gasket.
    2007 GC SXT - Magnesium - S&G - 3.8L - 115,600 kms
    2002 GC Sport - Stone White - 3.3L - 314,240 kms
    2003 Jeep TJ Sport - 4.0L - 246,430 kms

+ Reply to Thread