3rd gen Lug nut torque specs?

ChryslerMiniVan.net is the premier Chrysler Minivan Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 3rd gen Lug nut torque specs?

Thanks

3rd gen Lug nut torque specs?

More specifically, I'm looking for the lug nut torque specs for my 1998 Dodge Grand Caravan w/ AWD.

I believe the wheels are aluminum/alloys, I'll post a pic of one.

121100_1544[00] (WinCE).jpg

I know it should say in the manual, unfortunately this van was purchased used and didn't have a manual with it.

Here's what's going on. A while back we had a tire blowout and when we went to change to the spare, we found that some of the lugs had been replaced with shorter ones that were deep inside and the factory wrench that came with the van couldn't get a good bite on them and they were rusted in and in short one got stripped out. Would have never happened if we had real Sockets and wrenches with us. Anyway, we ended up having to go to a repair shop and have them come out and help us.

After that I ordered some new lug nuts and replaced all of the short ones with ones that are longer and the same as the stock ones.

A while later I took the van to Wal-Mart and asked them to balance and rotate the tires while I did some shopping. Not long later they called me back and told me that they had stripped out one of the lug nuts because it had been tightened too tightly. They were unable to remove the tire and therefore would not balance them.

Needless to say, I was furious. The lug nut they stripped was not one of the ones I replaced, but was one of the stock ones. I've removed these wheels myself a few times and never used a torque wrench, just tightened them to what felt right, and never had any trouble. I'm sure the idiots there just used the wrong size, or didn't get it on all the way. This van used to live in SLC so there is rust under there, and I'm sure it was rusted a little tight.

Right now I'm getting ready to try and fix the damage they did, and check on my brakes while I'm in there. I tracked down my brother's torque wrench and am just wondering what the specs are for tightening down the lug nuts.
    Gen 1:
    1990 Plymouth Grand Voyager, Red (Retired work van, SOLD for scrap)

Gen 2:
    1994 Plymouth Grand Voyager SE, 3.3, Green
    1994 Plymouth Grand Voyager SE, 3.3, White w/blue hood & FR fender (Engine spun a bearing at 230k miles. SOLD for scrap)
    1995 Plymouth Grand Voyager LE, 3.3, Blue (Parts van, SOLD for scrap)

Gen 3:
    1996 Chrysler Town & Country LXi, 3.8, White (Tranny went at 300k+ miles engine still runs strong)
    1998 Dodge Grand Caravan, 3.8, Green, AWD

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chrysler Minivan Forums
    Advertisements

Thanks

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
    100 ft-lbf.
    Leon
    '97 Town & Country LXi

4. The Following User Says Thank You to lyonkster For This Useful Post:

Glitch (12-11-2010)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lyonkster View Post
    100 ft-lbf.
    Thank you.

An update here, I managed to remove the lug nut in question.

PIC00008cropmark.JPG

It is more damaged now then it was, because after what they did to it I had a time getting it off. You can still tell though that they didn't have their socket all the way over the lug nut. You can see the part they rounded off going down to the red mark I made on the photo. The blue mark shows how far I pounded my socket onto it in order to remove it, because it wouldn't slide on over the damage they had done.
    Gen 1:

Gen 2:
    1994 Plymouth Grand Voyager SE, 3.3, White w/blue hood & FR fender (Engine spun a bearing at 230k miles. SOLD for scrap)

Gen 3:
    1996 Chrysler Town & Country LXi, 3.8, White (Tranny went at 300k+ miles engine still runs strong)

Thanks

The factory lug nuts are a 2 piece design, and pure junk. I finally got fed up today with mine starting to strip out and ordered all new lugs off ebay for $16. I'll let everyone know how close they look to the factory ones, and they are one piece which will not do this.
    Candy the van. '98 Sport 3.8L 132,200 miles. Used trans at ~96k. Great piece of my life and a fine van.

'69 GTO drop top
    www.facebook.com/people/Andy-Greif/1410438927

Thanks

By two peice you are referring to the cap, correct?, or did yours come with a washer + Nut type design?

That'll be interesting to see how the one peice ones do. I'll be needing to order at least one new one anyway so be sure and let me know how they work out, and maybe even show a pic of them or a link to the ebay item you got them from.
    Gen 1:

Gen 2:

Gen 3:

Thanks

2 piece meaning that stupid aluminum cap over a steel nut, where the aluminum cap is the trouble causer. If you can bust the cap off, the nut itself takes an 18mm socket and still provides the actual function of the lug nut, just not pretty with the alloy wheels. I'll post the info about the 1 piece lugs when I get them this week. I want to make sure everything is good before I recommend it.
    Candy the van. '98 Sport 3.8L 132,200 miles. Used trans at ~96k. Great piece of my life and a fine van.

'69 GTO drop top

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
    Thank you.

An update here, I managed to remove the lug nut in question.

Attachment 3325

It is more damaged now then it was, because after what they did to it I had a time getting it off. You can still tell though that they didn't have their socket all the way over the lug nut. You can see the part they rounded off going down to the red mark I made on the photo. The blue mark shows how far I pounded my socket onto it in order to remove it, because it wouldn't slide on over the damage they had done.
    Is that one of the regular 'chrome cap' nuts minus it's cap?
    Or is it a locking nut which the 'garage' tried to remove with a regular lug wrench?

I recently had to drill through one of my lug bolts to remove a standard lug nut which a tire changer had cross-threaded and then rammed on with an air gun.

To make sure that can't happen again I bought and fitted these :-
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...#ht_1692wt_906
    '97 Chrysler Grand Voyager 3.3 LE (UK Model) , 167,000 miles. Dual Fuel Petrol/LPG. Tow Pack.
    Now sold. New owner is using as a project ! Replaced by a 2000 Nissan Primera 2.0L Sport+

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Renegade1127 View Post
    Is that one of the regular 'chrome cap' nuts minus it's cap?
    Or is it a locking nut which the 'garage' tried to remove with a regular lug wrench?

I recently had to drill through one of my lug bolts to remove a standard lug nut which a tire changer had cross-threaded and then rammed on with an air gun.

To make sure that can't happen again I bought and fitted these :-
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...#ht_1692wt_906
    That is one of the regular capped nuts WITH the cap still attached. it's just mauled from being stripped out. They probably started their air gun spinning then tried to ram it on there or something stupid like that.
    Gen 1:

Gen 2:

Gen 3:

Thanks

I got my lug nuts today and they worked out very nicely. I think they are actually better quality than the OEM ones and the replacements I've bought before.

Here's the auction I bought from:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...=STRK:MEWNX:IT

And some pics...

The new ones, showing color and how they are not 2 pieces like the original ones:

The old ones. The one on the left shows an original one that bulged like most of them and would only go that far into the sockets. I had 11 of them like that, not good as stripping them was very possible. On the right shows the new replacements you buy from Chrysler, the caps fall off like nothing was holding them on AND they rusted to that condition within 1 month in the summer. Complete junk.

Installed. The new ones are brighter than the old ones, but for the money they are perfect for me. $16 to have lug nuts that actually aren't at risk of stripping out every time you touch them is nice.

'69 GTO drop top

12. The Following User Says Thank You to andyg For This Useful Post:

Daasch (12-17-2010)

Thanks

Tire shops sell those here as well, but they want big bucks, the ebay purchase is the wiser choice for sure.
    I did away with all my 2 piece lug nuts a few years ago.
    2003 Caravan SXT 3.3L / 1997 Grand Voyager SE 3.0L / 1997 Caravan 3.0L / 1991 Plymouth Voyager 3.0L / 1989 Plymouth Voyager 2.5L / 1988 Caravan 3.0L / 1984 Caravan 5 Speed Stick

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply