Add 15 HP with 3.3 V6 Throttle body modification

ChryslerMiniVan.net is the premier Chrysler Minivan Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Add 15 HP with 3.3 V6 Throttle body modification

Thanks

Thumbs up Add 15 HP with 3.3 V6 Throttle body modification

Just spotted this info. It's all about cutting a groove inside the throttle body to create some sort of turbulence that modifies the airflow to the engine. For more explanations, look here:
    http://peswiki.com/index.php/Directory:Gadgetman_Groove

Is anybody aware of this? Did anybody actually made this modification to their van/car?
    2005 Dodge GC S&G - 3.3L V6 - 180 hp - 192,000 kms ("The GreyBus") - all day family bus
    2000 Chrysler Cirrus - 2.5L V6 - 161 hp - 118.000 kms ("The Seeker") - retired on winter, sporty seeker on summer.
    1983 Dacia 1300 - 1.3L L4 - 54 hp - 625.000 Kms ("The Granny") - retired, conserved.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chrysler Minivan Forums
    Advertisements

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by memexe View Post

Is anybody aware of this?
    Interesting theory...but I'll point out that auto engineers have been aware of the effects of "swirl" for years, and how it promotes more complete air and fuel mixing.

It is usually done through cylinder head design IIRC. Producing swirl at the throttle body is easier, but the airstream will calm down by the time it gets to the combustion chambers.
    Atwell "Buff" Haines
    Northern NJ
    2002 Grand Caravan ES "Extra Special"...
    Blue
    3.8L, Touring Suspension, 17" Alloys, and Autostick

Thanks

Putting a 'gouge' in the side of the throttle body probably will make it feel like you have more power at light throttle due to more air being able to get in. However at WOT, it would be the same I'd think.
    Jeff
    http://www.facebook.com/eddie.munster
    Current:
    2007 Grand Caravan/3.8L V6/103K mi/original 41TE
    2006 300C/5.7L HEMI V8/128/K mi/original W5A580
    2002 PT Cruiser/2.4L I4/139K mi/original 40TE
    1992 S-10/4.3L V6/249K mi/original 4L60E
    Previous minivans:
    1997 Grand Voyager SE/traded@192K mi/3.3L V6/original 41TE
    2003 Grand Caravan Sport/3.8L V6/traded@124K mi/original 41TE
    2007 T&C/3.8L V6/traded@44K mi/ original 41TE
    2010 T&C Touring/3.8L V6/the ex's@72K mi/original 62TE

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by memexe View Post
    Just spotted this info. It's all about cutting a groove inside the throttle body to create some sort of turbulence that modifies the airflow to the engine. For more explanations, look here:
    http://peswiki.com/index.php/Directory:Gadgetman_Groove

Is anybody aware of this? Did anybody actually made this modification to their van/car?
    I get 25-30 HP with an NOS sticker...

Seriously, if the efficiency and power gain potential from a groove was this high, the factory would have designed it in.
    ---
    \\'05 Honda CR-V SE, Pewter Pearl
    \\'98 Dodge Grand Caravan Sport, Alpine Frost
    \\'68 Datsun 2000 Roadster, Extra Red Imron

Thanks

Will never happen.

The misleading wonders of the internet.
    Candy the van. '98 Sport 3.8L 132,200 miles. Used trans at ~96k. Great piece of my life and a fine van.

'69 GTO drop top
    www.facebook.com/people/Andy-Greif/1410438927

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by andyg View Post

The misleading wonders of the internet.
    No really... an NOS sticker WILL give you more HP! A Bilstein Shock sticker, not so much.

AirBoss may have exaggerated a little, regarding the absolute gain...
    Atwell "Buff" Haines
    Northern NJ
    Blue

Thanks

An energy suspension and hotchkis sticker made my van pull over a g in corners now. I've yet to try the nos sticker in fear of the trans blowing up. Maybe if I get some label off an m1a1 tank, it'll make my van tougher and bulletproof?
    Candy the van. '98 Sport 3.8L 132,200 miles. Used trans at ~96k. Great piece of my life and a fine van.

'69 GTO drop top
    www.facebook.com/people/Andy-Greif/1410438927

Thanks

This is completely counter-intuitive. Anyone who has been around the hot rodding scene has seen how a ported and POLISHED throttle body will yield some very nice gains. Turbulence does not = more power necessarily. Better flow, less restriction, and more even flow in the intake plenum runners = better economy and power.

This groove nonsense only affects the air at the surface and has no bearing on the complete intake charge. Simply cleaning that throttle body probably netted him those gains (as well as some other cheats he did to make his dyno look good).

If this idea actually worked, then that craptacular product the TORNADO would be used in EVERY SINGLE vehicle, especially high end vehicles like Corvettes, Porsches, etc. The end result, it does NOT yield more power. It just adds restriction to the intake, reducing the amount of air entering the engine, reducing overall power output.
    2004 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT AWD 3.8L

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MrBaz View Post
    Anyone who has been around the hot rodding scene has seen how a ported and POLISHED throttle body will yield some very nice gains. Turbulence does not = more power necessarily. Better flow, less restriction, and more even flow in the intake plenum runners = better economy and power.
    But turbulence WILL provide less emissions due to a more homogeneous mixture. (You have to believe me, I'm using big words! )

Porting and polishing was a great benefit in the days of cast factory intakes and exhaust. Yes, the more air (and fuel to go with it) provided more POWER.

This groove nonsense only affects the air at the surface and has no bearing on the complete intake charge. Simply cleaning that throttle body probably netted him those gains (as well as some other cheats he did to make his dyno look good).
    No doubt. The Placebo Effect?

If this idea actually worked, then that craptacular product the TORNADO would be used in EVERY SINGLE vehicle, especially high end vehicles like Corvettes, Porsches, etc. The end result, it does NOT yield more power. It just adds restriction to the intake, reducing the amount of air entering the engine, reducing overall power output.
    You are correct. Factory designs that induce combustion chamber swirl (and for that matter, Direct Fuel Injection) don't restrict airflow as they are built-in.

For POWER, I vastly prefer the magnetic ring I clamped to my fuel hose. Now THAT baby was worth it. (I wear a magnet around my wrist to assure I'll live a long time, too...so far, so good.)
    Atwell "Buff" Haines
    Northern NJ
    Blue

Thanks

Ha Ha Ha......I forgot about the magnet ring, that's priceless
    Does anyone here remember the Spark Booster gizmo, I broke one of those apart and there was nothing in there except some washers and a spring.......Ingenious, LOL
    2003 Caravan SXT 3.3L / 1997 Grand Voyager SE 3.0L / 1997 Caravan 3.0L / 1991 Plymouth Voyager 3.0L / 1989 Plymouth Voyager 2.5L / 1988 Caravan 3.0L / 1984 Caravan 5 Speed Stick

+ Reply to Thread