The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

power steering fluid

8K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  andyg 
#1 ·
I have a 2005 Town & country. do I have to use atf +4 as the power steering fluid or can I just use regular power steering fluid?

Thanks
Ed

#2 · (Edited)
With the fine mesh filter screen in the reservoir, you had better stick with ATF+4. Other fluids may clog it prematurely. I think Chrysler has a bulletin on that as well.
Here it is:
NUMBER: 19-010-04
GROUP: Steering
DATE: November 29, 2004):
Do not use fluids or supplements that contain Teflon as they will cause a restriction at the filter in the power steering fluid reservoir, causing severe damage to the steering system.
The power steering fluid used in Chrysler Group vehicles is an engineered product, the addition of ANY unapproved fluids or supplements can interfere with the proper function of the fluid and cause damage to the steering system. To ensure the performance and durability of Chrysler Group steering systems, use only Mopar Power Steering Fluid +4, ATF+4 Automatic Transmission Fluid, or equivalent (MS-9602), in the power steering system.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.