The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

Trouble engaging reverse

4K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  andyg 
#1 ·
My rebuilt tranny on my 05 GC SXT (which is now out of warranty)

Now that it has gotten colder, when the car sits( after work) it wil not go into reverse. If I rev the engine, let it return to idle it goes into R just fine and works like new. It shifts fine- works great

Fluid only has 14k on it, level is perfect.

Any ideas?

The tranny shop that did the rebuild is hopless- going back is not an option

#4 ·
If the tranny shop didn't flush the fluid lines and cooler, you could be in for more costly transmission issues. Hopefully that's not the issue...

#5 ·
they claimed they used atf 4+.- don't trust them for anything but they do a huge volume. They have a good rep- don't know how..

At any rate- the solenoid pack is now leaking at the gasket. For $100 I will install a new solenoid pack since I need to replace the gasket any way. Any difference btwn Borg Warner & Dorman? I can't find any info on Dorman.

Thanks

#8 · (Edited)
Dorman is Borg-Warner, they all are. Mine said Dorman on the box, Borg on the paperwork.

PS..hope it helps. A new pack smoothed out a rough shift from 1st to second I had. Do change the fluid and filter with ATF+4, also.

#9 ·
swapped out the solenoid tonight. Repair shop used a felt gasket & not sure it was the right one- pattern did not match the solenoid @#$%-!!!!

I had to remove the cooling lines in order to remove the speed sensor so I could get a good shot at the middle bolt- was on good.

#11 ·
The only possibility of a wrong gasket will be if they got a gasket for the pre 2000 solenoids that used a separator plate. It will leak if that is the case.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.