The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

EGR Vacuum Line Routing

33K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  andyg 
#1 ·
Hi all-

I'm working on replacing the O2 sensor and spark plugs on my 1996 Town & Country LXI 3.8. I've put the intake plenum back on and I'm nearly finished, but I'm stuck on the EGR valve and vacuum lines to the intake plenum. Here's a picture of what I started with:

Here's what I have now:

As you can see I broke the vacuum line for the cruise control and the vacuum line for the EGR valve. I can fix the broken lines, but I don't know which one goes where. According to my original picture the remaining nipple belongs to the cruise control, but that doesn't leave room for the EGR valve. According to the Haynes manual the four lines connected to the intake plenum are the brake booster, EGR valve, cruise control, and purge solenoid.

Can someone point me in the right direction for reconnecting the EGR valve?

See less See more
#2 ·
I think you'll find that the "upper" little vacuum hose is the same one you snapped off the egr valve. Trace that one back into the plastic covering and it likely will be snapped off too.

I broke my egr hose the same way when doing some work.

#5 ·
I think you'll find that the "upper" little vacuum hose is the same one you snapped off the egr valve. Trace that one back into the plastic covering and it likely will be snapped off too.
Thanks! I drove the van to work today so I'll check it out at lunch.

I kludged a fix last night- I capped off the cruise/VSC line and connected the EGR valve to the cruise/VSC nipple. I assumed this would disable the cruise but allow the car to run (albeit with a vacuum leak from the missing EGR connection). The strange part is that the van ran great this morning and the cruise still worked.

#8 ·
The small windscreen washer hose is a good substitute as well, and a LOT cheaper than the OEM vacuum hose.

#4 ·
I went the emergency fix it way and used a few layers of heat shrink to rejoin my hose. Still working as far as I know as I don't have any check engine lights.

#6 ·
Andyg nailed it- the broken line was hiding inside the plastic sheath:

If the weather holds up I can repair that line and replace the wiper cowl after work today.

Thanks for your help.:ThumbsUp:

#7 ·
Good to hear you can finish up the job.

I hate to be a nit picker, but it really looks like your brake fluid could use a flushing lol.

#9 ·
I hate to be a nit picker, but it really looks like your brake fluid could use a flushing lol.
Funny you should mention that- I just replaced the front pads and rotors last weekend and bled the front brakes until the fluid came out clean. I was surprised to pull the wiper cowl and see that the fluid in the reservoir looking so nasty. Rear brakes are on my task list; I'll flush the fluid completely when I replace them.

#10 ·
Yep, it really all needs to be done at once or the junk in the other circuits will migrate through the system. I do mine yearly and it always gets dark, but never has chunks in it :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.