The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

Big Blue Smoke on Start-up

15K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  chevydude97 
#1 ·
In the last few days, I have noticed that after sitting overnight, there is a rather large cloud of blue smoke (exhaust) whenever I start it up ..Its a 4.0 with 5000 km on it...I don't think its normal..Anyone with similar issues?

#2 ·
It could be a simple PCV system problem.

Or your engine is more likely munching oil through the valve stem seals. It only happens when sitting for long periods because during that time, the oil on the valve stems has the chance to seep all the way down into the intake ports and then the combustion chamber. Eventually it will probably smoke upon deceleration or when taking off from a stop.

#3 ·
I would say that isn't normal at all for a new engine. Damn if it does that now imagine in another 20000. Our 4.0 doesn't smoke at all except for when we seafoamed it and it was quite a sight ;)
Keep us posted!
24,000kms

#6 ·
The weather is getting cooler, are you just seeing normal exhaust vapor upon start-up? If not, like other's have said take it to the dealer, leave it over night, and let them see it.

#8 ·
Take it back to the dealer and raise cain. Leave it overnight and ask them to wait until you get there in the morning to see it. This is not normal, and if it is an oil problem, they could blame you if it goes bad.

#10 ·
Sounds like oil getting into the engine overnight through leaky valve seals. Yet, you are seeing no oil consumption. Better get the Dealer to check it out.

#13 ·
I would look into the PCV as possibly a reason, when changing the oil you put alot of oil up into the top of the valve cover, if any gets onto and sucked into the egr you can get this smoke. I would suggest pulling it off cleaning it out and checking if goes away before spending money on changing perfectly good oil you have in there.

#14 ·
Also I would like to point out to the OP that a few of the larger motors the chrysler/dodge put into the trucks and libertys had issues with oil foaming. I ve not noticed any of the signs on our van but I wouldn't
count that out as a reason for "oil" to get into the PCV so easily.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.