ABS Light On

ChryslerMiniVan.net is the premier Chrysler Minivan Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: ABS Light On

Thanks

ABS Light On

I had a local shop read the code and here is what it said.

DTC_____
    Hydraulic Pump Circuit Malfunction

Anyone else have this problem? If so, what was it?

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chrysler Minivan Forums
    Advertisements

Thanks

I've not had this problem, and it hasn't come up here before from what I can remember.

I can tell you that your next moves with it will be inspecting all wiring, and if it is fine, the unit itself may be bad.
    Candy the van. '98 Sport 3.8L 132,200 miles. Used trans at ~96k. Great piece of my life and a fine van.

'69 GTO drop top
    www.facebook.com/people/Andy-Greif/1410438927

Thanks

Can you hear or feel the pump? With ignition on and engine off, keep applying the brakes on/off until you hear the pump come on. I think on mine, it's like 4 or 5 times, and then the pump comes on.

Be aware that if you don't feel any pulsing in the pedal, your normal brakes should be normal and safe. I would recommend fixing the ABS if you're going to keep the car, but if you're planning on getting rid of it, you can drive it.

Do a couple of hard test stops just to be sure.

Thanks

Most likely you need an abs pump, this happened on my '02. cost is about $400 for parts and labor, but brakes did operate fine, minor the abs feature. However, having the warnning light illuminated would have caused me to fail state inspection so i had to bite the bullet.

2011 Grand Caravan, 3.6, 124k miles
    2000 Neon ES 2.0, 140k
    2006 Pt Cruiser 2.4, 110k
    Past Caravans:
    2005 Grand Caravan SXT, 3.8 247k miles, Sold
    2002 Grand Caravan SE, 3.3, 166k miles, Sold

Thanks

IF it ever goes off (the light) stomp on the brake with two tires on grass at about 20 mph, try to clear the pump, You should feel it actuate, could be a piece of junk stuck in it, mine did and finally it fixed itself.
    2005 T&C Ltd 3.8 108,000
    2000 Caravan 2.4l
    1990 Grand Caravan 3.3 149,000 owned 15yrs 4 trannies
    1990 Dynasty 3.0 120k 1 tranny 4yrs
    1981 Dodge Aries 2.6 only new car I ever bought 225k orig 11yrs
    1966 Dodge Coronet 440 Wagon, way old 1 yr. 135$ (Had to borrow it at the bank!)
    1964 Simca 1000 (bought for $10 rebored) 50k 4yrs
    1965 Ply Valiant V8 85k
    1964 Ply Valiant Wagon slant 6 200k 1 qt/200 miles
    1969 Corvair convertible 4 carb

Thanks

I too have developed this ABS error code with trouble light on. 2003 DGC SE. Did the first steps of checking the 20A & 40A fuses & checking wiring loom & connections under the fuse box & battery tray. Read post above that a working ABS pump can be forced to turn on by pumping brakes 5 times with ignition on. Can anyone else confirm that works? Not that I don't trust the post, but I prefer to trust but verify especially since this would confirm my pump is not working. Thanks in advance.
    2003 Grand Caravan SE, 3.3L V6 - 200,000 Mile Club

Thanks

check for a broken wire as per this post:
    http://forum.chryslerminivan.net/sho...n?daysprune=-1

If you need to replace the ABS module, I recommend this place
    http://modulemaster.com/

The module itself is easy to replace, they have a FAQ page
    http://modulemaster.com/rebuilds/support/faq/
    2001 Chrysler T&C LXi, 2009 Dodge GC SXT - 3.8's

9. The Following User Says Thank You to blknblu For This Useful Post:

Nails1 (07-12-2014)

Thanks

Update. Decided to run with blknblu's tip and looked into modulemaster.com. Being satisfied with their company & services, I decided to pull the ABS controller and send it in to them for a refurb. Got battery & tray out the way. The ABS controller is attached to the pump & manifold by 4 small bolts. The head of the bolts are external torx and thanks to 11 Michigan winters, pretty corroded. E4 torx was too small (possibly due to corrosion) and E6 is too large so I am guessing they may be E5 which is a size none of the big box or auto parts stores around me carry. 4mm hex was a pretty tight fit so I went to work. First 3 came out pretty easy as they appear to be lightly torqued. Bottom right bolt refused to budge even after a soaking with PB Blaster. Head of nut became stripped during my attempt at loosening. Bad break. Because of the tight quarters and the motor mount being in the way, I am thinking I have no choice but to disconnect and remove the entire ABS controller and pump. Then I can tackle the bolt while it is sitting on the workbench. However, that is a lot of extra work that I would rather avoid. So, looking for any and suggestions. I am willing to sacrifice the existing bolt since I will be reinstalling with new stainless steel bolts from modulemaster. Any help much appreciated.

Thanks

Got a small rotary tool, like a Dremel?? Gets into tight places, and you just grind off the head, and pull the part loose, viseGrip the rest out after?!?
    Had to do that a few times on these darned vans!

Thanks

Update 2: Dremel with a grinding stone attachment did the trick and got the ABS module off. The root cause of the stubborn bolt was corrosion. The OEM zinc plated star bolt inside the aluminum sleeve developed corrosion to the point it split the sleeve & plastic case of the ABS module. The split allowed more corrosion to form all the way down the bolt to the threads where the bolt screws into the aluminum ABS solenoid manifold. The bolt broke off during attempts to remove it. Love living in the "rust belt" Given the damage to the plastic case of the module, I am looking to source a used part rather than have module masters rebuild my old one.
    Have a few questions:
    1. Will 3 bolts be sufficient to hold the replacement module onto the existing manifold (since 1 hole is occupied by the remains of the snapped corroded bolt)? Feels like it will be pretty snug with just 3 bolts and given the small size and low torque specs of the bolts, my gut tells me I'll be fine.
    2. How interchangeable (and compatible) are the ABS control modules of the various years of this gen of van (2003). My ABS module is part #04686702AE ABS+EBD, without traction control. Local parts recycler (junkyard) has an ABS pump & controller combo (sold as a unit) from a 2005 GC part #4721044AC for $48.00. Unit has the same connections as my old one and is same shape. For that price, I am thinking I should buy it and try it. Thinking I will separate the controller from the rest of unit and install with 3 good bolts.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply