Blower hvac box

ChryslerMiniVan.net is the premier Chrysler Minivan Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Blower hvac box

Thanks

Blower hvac box

I mentioned in Misty's thread how my hvac box was making banging noises from the fresh air director door. It had been doing this for over a year and now today the blow decided it wants to vibrate. This will get fixed immediately because I need heat as soon as the temps dip under 50 lol. Yes I'm a wuss to cold.

My question is for those that have done the heater core or other hvac box work. I couldn't look to well as it was dark when I noticed it this morning and I had to get to school, and it was dark when I got back to the van.

Where is the blower motor and do I need to take the dash out to get at it? I can see the wiring for it going into the hvac box when I drop the glove box down which seems to mean the blower is buried in there. I'll also be investigating the air door issue while I'm in there so I hope that's in the same area. I'd really like to not take the dash out because if I do, might as well replace that 13 year old heater core... and maybe evaporator even though my a/c is fully charged and works like new.

I guess the van decided it wanted me to fix the banging so it made another issue in the same area. Thanks candy...
    Candy the van. '98 Sport 3.8L 132,200 miles. Used trans at ~96k. Great piece of my life and a fine van.

'69 GTO drop top
    www.facebook.com/people/Andy-Greif/1410438927

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chrysler Minivan Forums
    Advertisements

Thanks

You don't have to take the dash out to do the blower motor or the fresh air door actuator. They're under the dash on the passenger's side. For the blower motor you do have to take out the glove box/door, but that's easy. Two clips for the straps, hinge snaps off. Just be careful not to use your mini sledge on that hinge, it can easily break. LOL

Heater core, if that needs changing, can be done without removing the dash. It comes out the driver's side underneath, near the gas & brake pedals.

Just guessing, but I'd say your fresh air door actuator is toast, and it's allowing the door to vibrate and that's the cause of both the "banging" and the vibrating noise you're hearing. That actuator is right next to the blower motor. 3-4 screws and one plug.

One option on that actuator is to get it positioned where you want it and then simply unplug it. You won't have any control over fresh air vs recirc, but you will have peace & quiet. Just my .02.
    Daasch Blitzco
    -1999 Plymouth Grand Voyager SE. Factory Emerald Green, with aftermarket rust accents ("What rocker panels?!") 192,000 miles (and counting) with the 3.8L and ORIGINAL 41TE. The Spinach-Van!
    -1996 Plymouth Grand Voyager SE, Factory Rosewood paint with ZERO rust, 3.3l, 175,000 miles. The "new" van. It's a baby. The Eggplant-Van!

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Daasch For This Useful Post:

99minivan (07-07-2012), sideburns2009 (10-20-2010)

Thanks

I know not to use the sledge on the glove box, unless it needs it. I actually flipped the glove box all the way down this morning for a quick glance and all I saw from there was where the blower wires go into the box through a grommet. I'll have to look in the daylight tomorrow to actually find the blower. I'll have to look at the actuator too to see if that is the issue, but with my van its probably multiple issues.

And I would probably fix the actuator because I wouldn't want recirc ALL the time, but I do use it 99% of the time from now until March lol. I use fresh air in the summer because I don't like using the a/c.

Worst comes to worst, I can set the hvac box on fire, then I'll have good heat. And hit it a few times with the hammer.
    Candy the van. '98 Sport 3.8L 132,200 miles. Used trans at ~96k. Great piece of my life and a fine van.

'69 GTO drop top

Thanks

It may be a broken recirculation door lever, the slotted piece which engages the pin on the actuator arm. If it breaks, the door becomes free to swing back and forth.
    I had the same problem, as did some others. The lever has a part number molded in but isn't available as a separate part. Salvage yards are the only source.The broken piece is very difficult to remove because
    you need to simultaneously depress four spring tabs in a hard-to-reach location. A replacement just snaps in.

Thanks

Sweet,, I'm going to be hoping for something that simple. I'll have to see if the fresh air door makes the bang or not anymore. If it doesn't, I would guess that its say to say that the something on its mechanism fully broke.

'69 GTO drop top

Thanks

Daasch, you win the prize of self accomplishment. Lol I watched the actuator (much easier finding it in daylight) and it wasn't doing anything. Took it off and apart to find that one of the gears is stripped out. It is odd that the stripped gear is the one made of different plastic than the others and the other gears look perfect.

I also took the cover off the blower motor and it seemed fine, no vibrating. So hopefully a trip to the junkyard will solve my issues.

'69 GTO drop top

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by andyg View Post
    Daasch, you win the prize of self accomplishment. Lol I watched the actuator (much easier finding it in daylight) and it wasn't doing anything. Took it off and apart to find that one of the gears is stripped out. It is odd that the stripped gear is the one made of different plastic than the others and the other gears look perfect.

I also took the cover off the blower motor and it seemed fine, no vibrating. So hopefully a trip to the junkyard will solve my issues.
    Yay me! I'm a good guesser!

If the gear that's stripped is the sector gear on the shaft for the actuator arm you can take it off and rotate it 180 degrees - then you're good to go for another 12 years or so. The gear pulls right off the shaft. Although, in your case, you might have to take a 5 lb mini sledge to it. LOL

Glad to hear you found the culprit. Funny how it's a different kind of plastic on the gear that's stripped. If I didn't know better (and I don't) I'd almost think they wanted it to wear out just to sell more of them. Uh oh... The conspiracy theory voices are starting up again! I better get my foil hat back on! Now, is it shiny-side out, or shiny-side in? I can never remember.
    Daasch Blitzco
    -1999 Plymouth Grand Voyager SE. Factory Emerald Green, with aftermarket rust accents ("What rocker panels?!") 192,000 miles (and counting) with the 3.8L and ORIGINAL 41TE. The Spinach-Van!
    -1996 Plymouth Grand Voyager SE, Factory Rosewood paint with ZERO rust, 3.3l, 175,000 miles. The "new" van. It's a baby. The Eggplant-Van!

Thanks

It's shinny side out, I know cause my cat wears one.
    2003 Caravan SXT 3.3L / 1997 Grand Voyager SE 3.0L / 1997 Caravan 3.0L / 1991 Plymouth Voyager 3.0L / 1989 Plymouth Voyager 2.5L / 1988 Caravan 3.0L / 1984 Caravan 5 Speed Stick

Thanks

The gear the broke is the idler off to the side, and unfortunately the "small" side of it is stripped. All but 1 of the teeth are missing. I guess I let it go long enough making that banging noise.

'69 GTO drop top

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply