Rear Shock Replacement?? -- OE or KYB (your experience / opinion)

ChryslerMiniVan.net is the premier Chrysler Minivan Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Rear Shock Replacement?? -- OE or KYB (your experience / opinion)

Thanks

Question Rear Shock Replacement?? -- OE or KYB (your experience / opinion)

First, what's the difference in Mopar OE Shocks between those listed for standard VS. Touring suspension? (monotube vs. GR2 type setup??)

Second, how does longevity (life span) compare between OE and KYB?

and Third, any real difference in ride between the two (KYB vs OEM/Mopar)

thanks
    relevant vehicle: '05 -=C=- T&C Ltd @~110K

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chrysler Minivan Forums
    Advertisements

Thanks

I replaced my OEM on an 05 TC with the Monroe w/ helper springs and I really like them. It does not make the van run high in the back, but looks about the same, but when you get it loaded out, it does not bottom out. I did this after I added a trailer hitch for if I ever wanted to tow.
    2005 T&C Ltd 3.8 69k
    2000 Caravan 2.4l
    1990 Grand Caravan 3.3 149,000 owned 15yrs 4 trannies
    1990 Dynasty 3.0 120k 1 tranny 4yrs
    1981 Dodge Aries 2.6 only new car I ever bought 225k orig 11yrs
    1966 Dodge Coronet 440 Wagon, way old 1 yr. 135$ (Had to borrow it at the bank!)
    1964 Simca 1000 (bought for $10 rebored) 50k 4yrs
    1965 Ply Valiant V8 85k
    1964 Ply Valiant Wagon slant 6 200k 1 qt/200 miles
    1969 Corvair convertible 4 carb

Thanks

I replaced my OEM on an 05 TC with the Monroe w/ helper springs
    aren't those shocks (and extra springs) stiff for the rear passengers??

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tcwagner1 View Post
    I replaced my OEM on an 05 TC with the Monroe w/ helper springs and I really like them. It does not make the van run high in the back, but looks about the same, but when you get it loaded out, it does not bottom out. I did this after I added a trailer hitch for if I ever wanted to tow.
    I don't really have a bottoming out problem - I installed a pair of beefed up jounce bumpers so when the van is loaded (happens infrequently) it sits on the bumpers that act like a spring, but when the load is minimal, it does not make contact with them.. (there's about 1" clearance) This seems to work quite well, the only down side is driving over "wavy" roads - there's more fore-aft rocking but it could be from the fact that the rear socks have been sweating (leaking) for a few months now.. (first noticed it about 6 months ago..)

Yours is a limited too, so you have the "touring" suspension right?
    If so, have you noticed any difference in handling, particularly when cornering on poor (uneven/pot hole) road surface?

As for ride harshness, coil-overs should not increase harshness if your van has the "touring" suspension since the shock absorber compression rates are different between monotube design and standard shock...
    Many credible places list monotube as the correct replacement part for the "touring" suspension OE shocks..

My only concern with Monroe is that their quality seems to be all over the place (some people say they work well and others say they needed to replace theirs in a few months...) whereas KYB seems to be more consistently praised for good quality... (and shipping these thing back an forth gets expensive quickly..)

It would be interesting to know who makes suspension parts for Mopar...? (but it's probably more than one company...)

Thanks

I really hope some more people respond with good answers, as I am needing new shocks and have no idea which to use...
    2005 Chrysler Town & Country Touring, Linen Gold Metallic, Leather Seats and Sto N Go...

Thanks

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
    Just don't use the low end Monroe shocks. I have them on 3 vehicles and they are equally terrible on all of them. Very little dampening at all and horrendous brake dive. Their middle line reflex shocks aren't too bad as I have them on the back of my van and the front of our Durango and they work well.

I plan on putting KYB's on my GTO to get rid of the sensatracs as I hear great things about KYB.
    Candy the van. '98 Sport 3.8L 132,200 miles. Used trans at ~96k. Great piece of my life and a fine van.

'69 GTO drop top
    www.facebook.com/people/Andy-Greif/1410438927

Thanks

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
    Unless you replace the front struts also, I would recommend replacing the rear with OEM. The rear shocks on our '03 Grand Caravan allowed quite a bit of float on the road, and I just figured they were worn. We traded the van before I did anything about it, and the rear shocks on our '07 Town & Country are the exact same way. I did buy some Gabriel Ultra shocks for the rear of the '07 (similar to Monroe Reflex). They were stiff as granite. Van handled great, there was near NO body lean with those. But man was the back stiff. So I took them back, and they credited me for the shocks and I traded down for some normal Gabriel Red Ryders, hoping they'd be softer. And they are, but still way stiffer than OEM. So the ride is rather unbalanced. With the Red Ryders on the back, the front felt like it floated and bobbed like an old 1970 Eldorado. So I took the Red Ryders off, put the OEM shocks back on, and the Red Ryders are still sitting in my garage.

You want 'em? They're yours for the price of shipping. I even have the receipt for them, so you can take them back to an AutoZone if they give you trouble.

Otherwise, I'd recommend OEM. Like AndyG, I've not been overly impressed with Monroe's offerings. I do have the Monroe Reflex on the front of my Dakota, and they're actually very good on it, the best Monroe shock I've tried. But I'm too afraid to drop the cash to try the Reflexes on the rear of the van, because I've already had poor luck with one premium shock that is supposed to provide an OE-like ride. Yeah, right.
    '11 Toyota Camry | 2.5/6AT | Sandy Beach
    '07 Chrysler T&C | 3.8/4AT | Cognac Crystal
    '05 Acura MDX | 3.5/5AT | Billet Silver
    '97 Dodge Dakota | 5.2/4AT | Emerald Green

Thanks

I just replaced OEM with the KYB Gas adjust @92K- a mono tube shock. Prices are about 42 a shock. Have a about 600 miles in them & love them.

Can't say how they will hold up over time, but way better than OEM - at least for me.

Good luck getting bolts off- one side was basically loose- other side gave the impact wrench trouble... I have an 05- it is an 18mm bolt

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by patrick30 View Post
    I just replaced OEM with the KYB Gas adjust @92K- a mono tube shock. Prices are about 42 a shock. Have a about 600 miles in them & love them.

Can't say how they will hold up over time, but way better than OEM - at least for me.

Good luck getting bolts off- one side was basically loose- other side gave the impact wrench trouble... I have an 05- it is an 18mm bolt
    Does your van have "touring" (or standard) suspension from the factory? and when you say better, do you mean stiffer (less lean on turns)?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hokiefyd View Post
    Unless you replace the front struts also, I would recommend replacing the rear with OEM. The rear shocks on our '03 Grand Caravan allowed quite a bit of float on the road, and I just figured they were worn. We traded the van before I did anything about it, and the rear shocks on our '07 Town & Country are the exact same way. I did buy some Gabriel Ultra shocks for the rear of the '07 (similar to Monroe Reflex). They were stiff as granite. Van handled great, there was near NO body lean with those. But man was the back stiff. So I took them back, and they credited me for the shocks and I traded down for some normal Gabriel Red Ryders, hoping they'd be softer. And they are, but still way stiffer than OEM. So the ride is rather unbalanced. With the Red Ryders on the back, the front felt like it floated and bobbed like an old 1970 Eldorado. So I took the Red Ryders off, put the OEM shocks back on, and the Red Ryders are still sitting in my garage.

You want 'em? They're yours for the price of shipping. I even have the receipt for them, so you can take them back to an AutoZone if they give you trouble.

Otherwise, I'd recommend OEM. Like AndyG, I've not been overly impressed with Monroe's offerings. I do have the Monroe Reflex on the front of my Dakota, and they're actually very good on it, the best Monroe shock I've tried. But I'm too afraid to drop the cash to try the Reflexes on the rear of the van, because I've already had poor luck with one premium shock that is supposed to provide an OE-like ride. Yeah, right.
    That's some good info, thanks

I'm leaning towards OEMs since I can get them slightly cheaper vs. KYB and the stock on the van lasted 5 years and 78Kmi.. though I doubt the Mopar replacements will be from the same manufacturer as original.. (or of equal quality)

+ Reply to Thread