best tires?...prefered tires

ChryslerMiniVan.net is the premier Chrysler Minivan Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: best tires?...prefered tires

Thanks

I would look on tirerack.com at availability and ratings by users. I have Kumho tires on my van and they are great on dry pavement, though not that great in rain, and terrible in snow. There are better Kumho tires available, just not for this van.
    2008 Town & Country Limited
    55,000 miles
    RER head unit, "506W" 11 channel amp, 9 speakers + a dual voice coil sub

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chrysler Minivan Forums
    Advertisements

Thanks

Tires...What about Goodyear Assurance Tripletred ?

Hello, I have an '08 T&C Touring. It came with the Yoko tires. Currently have 54,000 on them and ready to get new ones. Live in Nebraska and a tire that does well in snow is a compelling factor in my decision. I had a '96 Pontiac Trans Sport and put the Goodyear Triple Tred on them when they came out...and they made an amazing difference for me when driving a front wheel drive minivan in snow. Unfortunately, Goodyear does not make them in P225/65R16 tire. I sent them a letter and this was their response.

Sent by: Goodyear Tire & Rubber Company Consumer Relations 728 1144 East
    Market Street Akron, OH 44316 Voice #: 800.321.2136 Fax #:

Dear Timothy,

Thank you for contacting our web site and your interest in Goodyear tires.

The Assurance TripleTred comes in size P235/65R16. This tire may fit on
    your vehicle. The "235" simply means that the tire would be 10 millimeters
    wider than the "225" tire you are requesting. I would suggest you contact
    your local retailer to determine if that size would be appropriate.

However, I have forwarded your inquiry for the Assurance TripleTred in
    size P225/65R16 to the appropriate department so they know there is a
    demand for this tire in the size you have inquired about.

If you have a comment or concern regarding a Goodyear product or services,
    you can reach our Customer Assistance Center at 1-800-321-2136.

My local dealer said it would be no problem to go to a larger size. Might affect the speedometer a bit but he measured and saw no problem with wheel well size. This tire even had a larger load range. His quote for 4 w/road hazard and nitro inflation is $714.00. It started @ $140.00 a tire but a lot of fees added. BUT that is before an $80.00 rebate in the way of a VISA card.
    Would I be doing much harm in utilizing the P235/65R16's.
    Thanks for your input. Tim

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaOmaha View Post
    Hello, I have an '08 T&C Touring. It came with the Yoko tires. Currently have 54,000 on them and ready to get new ones. Live in Nebraska and a tire that does well in snow is a compelling factor in my decision. I had a '96 Pontiac Trans Sport and put the Goodyear Triple Tred on them when they came out...and they made an amazing difference for me when driving a front wheel drive minivan in snow. Unfortunately, Goodyear does not make them in P225/65R16 tire. I sent them a letter and this was their response.

Sent by: Goodyear Tire & Rubber Company Consumer Relations 728 1144 East
    Market Street Akron, OH 44316 Voice #: 800.321.2136 Fax #:

Dear Timothy,

Thank you for contacting our web site and your interest in Goodyear tires.

The Assurance TripleTred comes in size P235/65R16. This tire may fit on
    your vehicle. The "235" simply means that the tire would be 10 millimeters
    wider than the "225" tire you are requesting. I would suggest you contact
    your local retailer to determine if that size would be appropriate.

However, I have forwarded your inquiry for the Assurance TripleTred in
    size P225/65R16 to the appropriate department so they know there is a
    demand for this tire in the size you have inquired about.

If you have a comment or concern regarding a Goodyear product or services,
    you can reach our Customer Assistance Center at 1-800-321-2136.

My local dealer said it would be no problem to go to a larger size. Might affect the speedometer a bit but he measured and saw no problem with wheel well size. This tire even had a larger load range. His quote for 4 w/road hazard and nitro inflation is $714.00. It started @ $140.00 a tire but a lot of fees added. BUT that is before an $80.00 rebate in the way of a VISA card.
    Would I be doing much harm in utilizing the P235/65R16's.
    Thanks for your input. Tim
    Lord no you'd be fine using that size. I was going to go with 235/60 myself, but ended up going with 215/65. Either way, you'll be fine.
    Jeff
    http://www.facebook.com/eddie.munster
    Current:
    2007 Grand Caravan/3.8L V6/103K mi/original 41TE
    2006 300C/5.7L HEMI V8/128/K mi/original W5A580
    2002 PT Cruiser/2.4L I4/139K mi/original 40TE
    1992 S-10/4.3L V6/249K mi/original 4L60E
    Previous minivans:
    1997 Grand Voyager SE/traded@192K mi/3.3L V6/original 41TE
    2003 Grand Caravan Sport/3.8L V6/traded@124K mi/original 41TE
    2007 T&C/3.8L V6/traded@44K mi/ original 41TE
    2010 T&C Touring/3.8L V6/the ex's@72K mi/original 62TE

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaOmaha View Post
    Hello, I have an '08 T&C Touring. It came with the Yoko tires. Currently have 54,000 on them and ready to get new ones. Live in Nebraska and a tire that does well in snow is a compelling factor in my decision. I had a '96 Pontiac Trans Sport and put the Goodyear Triple Tred on them when they came out...and they made an amazing difference for me when driving a front wheel drive minivan in snow. Unfortunately, Goodyear does not make them in P225/65R16 tire. I sent them a letter and this was their response...
    I would not change the size like that, because this also changes the tire's overall diameter, thereby not only fooling the speedometer, but the van's computer system as well. Check with tirerack.com, discounttire.com, or anoother site what other tire sizes will work with your van, but you will need to go wider (225 to 235) and to a lower aspect ratio (from 65 to 60 ) at the same time. But by going wider you run the risk of hitting the fender and/or strut with the tire while going over bumps. Also the wheel (rim) may not be able to handle the wider tire. I personally avoid Goodyear tires because their sidewall tends to develop bumps after hitting potholes, rendering them dangerous and un-fixable. I would stick with the manufacturer's recommended size and find another tire that is both rated well by users for performance and costs reasonably.
    55,000 miles

Thanks

A 235/65R16 will be just fine. A 235/60 would be shorter than the OEM tires, and not ideal. The increased height (small) should not be a problem. These vans have pretty large wheel wells. I'd prefer to stay in the OEM size also, but moving to a 235/65 should work out well just the same.
    '11 Toyota Camry | 2.5/6AT | Sandy Beach
    '07 Chrysler T&C | 3.8/4AT | Cognac Crystal
    '05 Acura MDX | 3.5/5AT | Billet Silver
    '97 Dodge Dakota | 5.2/4AT | Emerald Green

Thanks

Tirerack sells the 225/65R16 Michelin Primacy MXV4 (Grand Touring All-Season) for $134 + sh, and the General Altimax HP (Grand Touring All-Season) for $102 + sh.
    The Goodyear Assurance TripleTred (Passenger All-Season) 235/65R16 is $127 + sh.
    They are all rated well and seem very good. I would choose the General because of size and price. The Goodyear is probably best in snow, although all 3 seem good in snow, and none are as good as a separate set of snow tires.
    55,000 miles

Thanks

Myself, I'd probably get the Michelin. The General appears to be a great tire, but I'd personally avoid it because of the directional tread pattern. In my experience, Chrysler's minivans put a directional feather pattern on the outer edge of the front tires (camber and toe settings in the alignment), that only cross rotation can get rid of. I wish General would make the RT in this size...that's a non-directional tire that is also a very good one.
    '11 Toyota Camry | 2.5/6AT | Sandy Beach
    '07 Chrysler T&C | 3.8/4AT | Cognac Crystal
    '05 Acura MDX | 3.5/5AT | Billet Silver
    '97 Dodge Dakota | 5.2/4AT | Emerald Green

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hokiefyd View Post
    Myself, I'd probably get the Michelin. The General appears to be a great tire, but I'd personally avoid it because of the directional tread pattern. In my experience, Chrysler's minivans put a directional feather pattern on the outer edge of the front tires (camber and toe settings in the alignment), that only cross rotation can get rid of. I wish General would make the RT in this size...that's a non-directional tire that is also a very good one.
    You are quite right! I overlooked this. The Michelin is the best choice out of these because it is not directional. The Goodyear and the General are directional. Chrysler recommends rotating the tires front-to back to same side, back-to-front to opposite side. Only non-directional tires can do that.
    55,000 miles

Thanks

Tires

I replaced the Yokos on my 2008 DGC with Michelin Primacy MXV4 3 months and 10,000 miles ago, and couldn't be happier. A lot quieter. Handling is pretty much the same, but hey, it is a minivan for cryin out loud! One thing I noticed is the the Yokos had some very large wheel weights to get them to balance properly, while the Michelins have very small or none at all, which would appear to mean a better built, better balanced tire from the factory. They were $720 plus tax, but included lifetime roataion, lifetime balance and road hazard, plus at the time a $70 rebate card.

Another option could be the Uniroyal TigerPaw Touring. I have a new set on my second vehicle, and am very happy with them, plus they come with an 80K mile warranty. Very quiet and possibly less expensive than the Michelins. It is "T" rated versus "H" rated, but as I said, I am very happy with them on my second vehicle. They were $415 for a set of 205/65-15 including rotation/balance and road hazard, plus tax.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jgbat View Post
    I do not hate the S33's on my 2010, they ride decent for an OEM tire, and rolling resistance is good. I did hate the Turanza EL-42's that were standard on the previous generation.

Having said that, I'm shopping for tires myself since one of mine on the 2010 is no longer holding air. I don't want to hyjack a thread, so I'll start my own.
    I have 36K on my OEM S33's and am thinking of replacing with the Michelin Primacy tires. I had them on a 2002 T&C and really liked them and got 65K from them. I am disappointed to hear your comments about rolling resistance with the Yokahama tires - I was hoping switching to the Michelin's or Goodyears would up my gas mileage a little. Reading all the reviews on tirerack.com just seem to muddy things more. Some people love the Michelin's others disagree. The Michelin's will cost me $698 at Costco.
    Dave
    2008 Grand Caravan SXT

+ Reply to Thread