Replaced Radiator Today 03 Dodge Grand Caravan 3.3 L With Transaxle question.

ChryslerMiniVan.net is the premier Chrysler Minivan Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Replaced Radiator Today 03 Dodge Grand Caravan 3.3 L With Transaxle question.

Thanks

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

Replaced Radiator Today 03 Dodge Grand Caravan 3.3 L With Transaxle question.

Rad Radiator $169 at Advance. Made in India. Matched perfectly with existing hangers for AC condenser and Tranny cooler.

Remove battery cable. remove obvious plastic covers. Remove four bolts from top crossmember and set aside with hood latch mechanism and cable in place. Remove single bolt located at center top of each electric fan. detach power suppy clip. Each fan with its plastic housing will slide up and out. Remove upper and lower hoses.

Peel back plastic body nose area and reach in to remove retainer clips that secure black plastic honeycomb grill. remove honeycomb grill. remove two bolts at top left and right of bracket that secures AC condenser and Tranny cooler to main radiator assembly.

Lift the AC Condenser and tranny cooler assembly off lugs at lower section of radiator frame. Lift and pull forward toward you. No need to remove these parts from the engine bay.

Lift radiator out of engine bay taking care to pivot where needed to clear AC hoses.

Reverse steps to install new radiator. It is a very simple procedure.

I found that my radiator had become damaged over time. (Factory Defect) The bracket at the bottom of the tranny cooler had popped loose from its single rivet! That loose bracket was rubbing on the radiator and over time it had finally worn a hole or two in the radiator. I removed that lower bracket (aluminum) by bending it up and down until it snapped off. The tranny cooler is still secured by the top bracket and at the side by the hard plastic frame.

I replaced the tranny cooler lines with 5 feet of hose cut in two sections (lucky guess, it was exactly sufficient). I used the larger of the small diameter hose material sold at Advance Auto Parts. Those old tranny cooler hoses felt very dry on their exterior where they could be inspected near the trans. About a half quart of fluid was lost.

Is there anything I need to do besides check the tranny fluid level? Is there any potential danger caused by air entering the tranny system through those temporary voids created by installing the new hoses?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to dylan For This Useful Post:

hmiwb (05-30-2012)

3. Remove Advertisements
    Chrysler Minivan Forums
    Advertisements

Thanks

Shouldn't be a problem, but are you having a problem? If the trans fluid wasn't flowing, it would overheat fairly quickly, and you'd know it.

Thanks

Checks out ok

No problems so far. Everything cool. Is transmission fluid level checked with engine idling or engine off?

Thanks

Transmission is done with the engine idling and the trans warmed up.
    Candy the van. '98 Sport 3.8L 132,200 miles. Used trans at ~96k. Great piece of my life and a fine van.

'69 GTO drop top
    www.facebook.com/people/Andy-Greif/1410438927

Thanks

I have an 2001 with a 3.8L engine. Are these instructions similar?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hamiltonfighter View Post
    I have an 2001 with a 3.8L engine. Are these instructions similar?
    Very similar, if not exactly the same.
    Candy the van. '98 Sport 3.8L 132,200 miles. Used trans at ~96k. Great piece of my life and a fine van.

'69 GTO drop top
    www.facebook.com/people/Andy-Greif/1410438927

Thanks

i have a 2002 se 3.3 and today i delt with the trans cooler issue. mine had the mounts broken all the way around. a few minutes with the rivet gun and its all back to factory. mine had 2 rivets in each mount.
    yes i drive a caravan. yes, its two-toned. no, it wasn't on accident.

Thanks

I have a 2001 Caravan Sport 3.3L that all of the rivets have broken on. I didn't notice it until I pulled the radiator tonight to replace it due to a leak. I now see that it was the loose brackets that caused the radiator leak.

Should I try to re-rivet these or just tack weld them?

Jason

Thanks

By the way, I just ended up drilling out the old rivets from the brackets and replacing the rivets the top, bottom and side brackets. All six of the original rivets had popped loose.

I also added a little extra support to the long top/bottom transmission cooler brackets via way of a threaded 10-24 x 9" stainless steel rod, two 10-24 nylock stainless steel nuts & washers and some red Loc-Tite. I drilled a hole in top & bottom of the bracket, ran the rod through both holes & snugged the nuts up just tight enough to add some extra support and relieve some of the pressure on those rivets.

DSC_4104.jpg

Thanks

Great info.

Great info. I looked at mine this weekend. Need a new radiator (leaking), and see the two top rivets broken on the piece in front of the radiator. Going to get a radiator, and get into it in the next couple of weeks. Thanks.

+ Reply to Thread