The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

Navigation disc

10K views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  atoman 
#1 ·
Traded in the 02 t&c for an 05. The new van is loaded and has the factory navigation system. Just one problem...no nav disc! I've looked on ebay and found them for as little as 20 bucks all the way up to 733 bucks (lmao at that one) Is there a difference in the discs? I've read that the newer discs update the firmware in the radio, but how do I know if I'm buying the right one? The radio says RB1 on the front of it.

#2 ·
The OEM disk, direct from Alpine, is expensive, about $150 a pop. Those on ebay selling for about $20 are knock offs. They violate copyright laws but work just fine. Chrysler should have worked out a more reasonable price for its customers, but nooooooo.

#3 ·
Along with the Caravan, I have an '09 Challenger R/T Hemi with the Nav system. The Navteq map update disks are $200! You are 100% correct that Chrysler should be offering these at a less outrageous price. Garmin map upgrades are about half that.

Bill

#4 ·
My new HTC Desire smartphone has a GPS built in and I plan to use that as much as I can. Its based on Google maps and has an amazing amount of information in crystal clear detail. I wont even bother trying to get mine working on my 05 van, especially since they want such a stupid rediculous amount for a new disk.

#5 ·
I second using a phone or even a standalone gps device. My blackberry has TeleNav which is a rock solid turn by turn voice guided setup. I also have an iPhone 3g with the TomTom app installed (1.4gb app) BUT all the maps are stored locally in the phone, so no worrying about cell coverage as you're traveling (with optional dock, can be used with iTouch devices too). I used to have a Mio gps unit stuck to the window just to the right of the rear view mirror, easy to glance at, and only makes the rear view mirror blind spot a little larger.

Looking at the specs and features of the RB1 navigation radio, I personally feel that the RBU is superior if you have the rear dvd screen (especially if you don't use uconnect). Since the RBU handles the headphones on it's own, the rear passengers can choose what source they want to listen to (not just for the dvd). So I can have my Sirius radio playing (via tape adapter), and the back can choose dvd/sirius(tape)/cd/fm/am for the headphones. Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the RB1 (or any of the others) with rear dvd only let you listed to the dvd via the headphones?

#6 ·
I'd also use a phone or other GPS device for nav. Here's the Google maps navigation for mobile (only Android at this time):

http://www.google.com/mobile/navigation/

That pretty much makes any static GPS device obsolete. No more map updates. All maps and POIs are accessed directly from Google. My BlackBerry's outta here and I'm gettin' a Droid. :drool:

Anyway, I do believe that the RB1 system only lets rear headphones listen to the 6-disc changer. That may be a video DVD or an audio CD. But they cannot listen to the radio or the Sirius.

#7 ·
another vote for a 3rd party device.. (a garmin nuvi can be bought for under $150, even under $99 on sale).. It far surpasses the factory nav and maps are easier & cheaper to update.. (but it's a vandal/thief magnet if left in plain sight)

Caution: if you do get a knock off disk, make sure it has legitimate (untempered) software on it.. if your RB1 gets stuck or fails during a firmware update, it will likely be TOAST!

As for web based NAV, it's great if there's a reliable cell signal and you have a good data plan... ($$)
-Not so great for driving in mountainous / spotty coverage areas...:jpshakehe

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.