The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

Power steering noise 2002 Town & Country

35K views 23 replies 13 participants last post by  2002CaravanSE 
#1 ·
Hello Im new to the forum although this is my second Chrysler Mini Van. I need help!!! I read a prior post about this problem and I have the same issue. However my car has been back to the dealer four times for this issue
1. For some power steering recall Didnt fix it
2. they replaced the power steering pump Didnt fix it!
3. They claim they replaced some kind of power steering hoses. They stated there was a TSB that sometimes they started to collapse on themselve and restrict the flow
4. Last week they replaced the POER STEERING RACK!!!!! Still making the noise!!!

like everyone else it doesnt make the noise for the first couple miles then it kicks in mostly at lower speeds, turning and parking lot manuevering. Then mysteriously the noise disapears. I did notice the colder it got the worse it got .

Im tired of spending time at the dealership. They are frustrated and i dont think they know whats wrong. cars going back in this thursday!!!!HELP

#2 · (Edited)
Welcome rad3110.

Sorry to hear you having the Power Steering Problem. I have not had the problem however it looks like your dealership appears to have tried alot. Does your system have RED fluid in it (ATF+4)? I know of some instances that the change from regular fluid to ATF+4 have helped. I believe the 2002 should already have the ATF+4 HOWEVER the 2001 had regular fluid so you MAY have a change over model that has the old fluid it in.
The other thing I can think of is to MAKE SURE all the work the dealer stated they did, the REALLY DID. I hate to sound so negative, but it is possible.
I know someone on here will come in with some good information so hang in and make sure you keep us posted on the problem and the fix (WHEN FOUND).

Check it out: http://forum.chryslerminivan.net/showthread.php?t=1705

Good Luck

#3 ·
Have you tried a different Chrysler or Dodge dealer? Might be worth a try.

#4 ·
The other thing I can think of is to MAKE SURE all the work the dealer stated they did, the REALLY DID. I hate to sound so negative, but it is possible.
Have you tried a different Chrysler or Dodge dealer? Might be worth a try.
That was what I said, in a kind of a subtle gist. :rolleyes:

#6 ·
blackPREMIER where are the PS hoses located, just wanna check mine to make sure that they are ok. Thanks

#7 ·
I looked all around my van. the power steering pump was definately replaced as well as the uper hose and the steering rack. To my surprise the lower power steering hose looks like it was not replaced. I do not have the work orders from the dealer(i know i should know better) I pick up my van after the dealer closes. I also noticed when they replaced the upper hoses they broke the clip that hold the throttle and cruise control cable to the the power steering resevior. Im
A. going to request all my sevice work orders
b, request the replace the broken clip
c request they replace the lower hose(whats left after that?)
In anticipation of having a problem with this dealer what is my recourse if any with chyrsler???? 2002 ex 30110 miles 4 months left on factory warranty. Im allready think about bailing and trading the car in for a Toyota Seinna Mini-van or a Honda Oddessy any thoughts??? Thanks

#9 ·
Sounds like the dealer service department leaves a little to be desired. Before Chrysler will do anything to help you, they will tell you to visit another dealer; just like we have. Likewise, you SHOULD request all the work orders on the van. I don't know about you, but on the rare occasion my van goes back to the dealer, I STILL get a work order when I pick it up AFTER HOURS at the Cashier's desk. That is not an excuse for them not to provide you with a list of what they did, so go in and ask for one. I don't know why they wouldn't give you that.

Why on earth would you trade in your van on an Odyssey or Sienna because of this? This is a minor problem in the grand scheme of things, especially compared to the tranny issues the Odysseys have.... One site I've found extremely helpful for comparing cars is autos.msn.com. They have a couple of professional reviewers as well as a consumer reviews section, so you can avoid the bias involved with SOME auto magazines. Looking at the ratings of the '05 Ody, '05 Sienna, and '02 T&C, you're not a whole lot better off in the Odyssey and actually the '05 Sienna gets the same consumer rating as the '02 T&C (kinda pathetic for a BRAND NEW CAR). When you compare it to the '05 T&C, you're ahead of all of them. This of course is not a completely accurate comparison but it gives you an idea about what actual owners think of the cars they just bought.

Also, remember that ALL cars have their quirks. Toyota and Honda included.

#10 ·
jazztrumpet216 said:
Sounds like the dealer service department leaves a little to be desired. Before Chrysler will do anything to help you, they will tell you to visit another dealer; just like we have. Likewise, you SHOULD request all the work orders on the van. I don't know about you, but on the rare occasion my van goes back to the dealer, I STILL get a work order when I pick it up AFTER HOURS at the Cashier's desk. That is not an excuse for them not to provide you with a list of what they did, so go in and ask for one. I don't know why they wouldn't give you that.

Why on earth would you trade in your van on an Odyssey or Sienna because of this? This is a minor problem in the grand scheme of things, especially compared to the tranny issues the Odysseys have.... One site I've found extremely helpful for comparing cars is autos.msn.com. They have a couple of professional reviewers as well as a consumer reviews section, so you can avoid the bias involved with SOME auto magazines. Looking at the ratings of the '05 Ody, '05 Sienna, and '02 T&C, you're not a whole lot better off in the Odyssey and actually the '05 Sienna gets the same consumer rating as the '02 T&C (kinda pathetic for a BRAND NEW CAR). When you compare it to the '05 T&C, you're ahead of all of them. This of course is not a completely accurate comparison but it gives you an idea about what actual owners think of the cars they just bought.

Also, remember that ALL cars have their quirks. Toyota and Honda included.
Well of course not, they're PERFECT, you dont even have to change tires on a Honda or Toyota (Sarcastic)

Umer, I can't help you on that, all I know is that, the last time it leaked, it was on the driver side, way back of the engine, Actually, I was able to see the fluid dripping from ONE clip under the van, laying on the ground, where the front door (driver's) hinges are (if you understand), but I can get information from one of our mecanics where the power steering is located.

Mom also thought of replacing her Grand Caravan, but not with an Odyssey or Sienna, she drove the Ody and I CAN'T SEE WHY PEOPLE THINKS THAT THEIR ODYSSEY"S ARE GOD'S GIFT TO THE WORLD, anyways, if she ever replace her GC, it will be with an Accord Coupe or Magnum/300. I understand the frustration rad3110 is having, because like I said before, the 2002 GC had her PS hoses replaced 4 times, sway bar links replaced and still making a clunk, frozen rear brakes when brand new....For the price she paid, she was expecting more quality than this, sure it's a rare case for the PS steering to bust 4 times, I see when they come in for service (Am I allowed to check in the service record... :jpshakehe , but I do it) and vast majority of the minivans serviced here came twice for the ps, and it was to replace the hoses for the recall.

Ever noticed the SERVICE bays of Toyota and Honda dealers are as busy as you Chrysler/Dodge service bay...

#11 ·
I have found that Chrysler dealerships generally have bad service. I have dealt with 5, and only one was worth anything. I otook the same truck back 5 times once to get the same problem fixed. I eventually fixed it myself when the warranty ran out.

The five star rating means nothing. The good Chrysler dealership also sold BMW's.

#12 ·
blackPREMIER said:
Well of course not, they're PERFECT, you dont even have to change tires on a Honda or Toyota (Sarcastic)
Heck, I hear that some of them don't even need to be filled up with gas!

IAfarmer said:
I have found that Chrysler dealerships generally have bad service. I have dealt with 5, and only one was worth anything. I otook the same truck back 5 times once to get the same problem fixed. I eventually fixed it myself when the warranty ran out.

The five star rating means nothing. The good Chrysler dealership also sold BMW's.
I must just be lucky then to have hit on one the first time. Our dealer has always been great service-wise.

#13 ·
Ever noticed the SERVICE bays of Toyota and Honda dealers are as busy as you Chrysler/Dodge service bay...

Excellent point, I took a look at my PS system and everything seems ok, we just had temperatures as low as -25C here so i'm pretty sure that the cold didn't have any affect on the hoses. rad3110, if you really want to get a sienna or ody then find a friend who has one with 30 or 50 kms on it. Sienna's and Ody's have a huge problem with wheel alignment. The slightest bend in the road will cause the van to pull to the left or right. If you are going to switch just because of the Powersteering issue then i think that your wasting your time, money and a excellent minivan! :jpshakehe

#14 ·
I want to thank everyone for there input. Remember this is my second Chyrsler Mini-van. I love the vans excelleration, ride performance and looks. I do feel however they have a lot of quality control issues. TRANNYS being the biggest im aware of. Both my vans the other a 1996 T&C LXI all had B.S. quality issues. Id love to up grade to the stow and go system but im not that comfortable purchasing another chyrsler. **** I have three payments left on this buggy and id like to do a couple of years without payments!!!! Im not here bashing, Im here to express my opinion and ask for help. Thanks.

P.S. went to take it back to the dealer today and AGAIN they didnt have a loaner for me(this is the dealer i purchased this vehicle from)I made an appointment with another dealer on Monday. Ill keep you all informed

#15 ·
rad3110 said:
Id love to up grade to the stow and go system but im not that comfortable purchasing another chyrsler. **** I have three payments left on this buggy and id like to do a couple of years without payments!!!! Im not here bashing, Im here to express my opinion and ask for help. Thanks.
My opinion is, nobody should be comfortable on purchasing a vehicle today, new or used. With today's techology, things are getting less reliable. Look at the new Odyssey's engine cylinder shut off!, same as for the new Hemi from Chrysler with that feature, will that be reliable? expensive to repair?

A fine example, on my 99 Grand Voyager I drive since september 04, I never had to replace a stbilizer bar link, or power steering hose, so far, I had to replace the alternato, rad fan (from junk yard) and tie-rod end. and reaching 120k.

We drove the Odyssey in 2002, before the purchase of the 02 Grand Caravan, and let me tell you, for that price, the Odyssey is overrated, hard on gas, noisy cabin, rides like garbage, cheap speakers, sticking sliding doors and did they fixed their transmissions?

The Sienna, very nice looking minivan, Toyota are now having problems with polution control, ie, catalytic converters on ALL their models, if it's now PS from Chrysler, it will be Cat converters from Toyota, did they fixed their sludge problems (looks like it), but I WOULD not trust an engine that had previous reliability problems.

As far as the Chrysler transmission, I can prove you that a 41TE can last long if it's well maintained. In our little town, just 45 minutes north of Ottawa, we have 2 Taxi, a 2001 Dodge Caravan SE with, hold on, 270,000km with the same transmission and engine, the second is a 2002 SE with near 200,000km with same engine transmission... The Honda transmission probably wont last longer than a Chrysler transmission...But I heard a transmission replacement at 45k on an Honda is regular maintenance...But total disaster on a Chrysler with 100k... :bcyclop:

#16 ·
blackPREMIER said:
My opinion is, nobody should be comfortable on purchasing a vehicle today, new or used. With today's techology, things are getting less reliable. Look at the new Odyssey's engine cylinder shut off!, same as for the new Hemi from Chrysler with that feature, will that be reliable? expensive to repair?
I agree with this to a point, but that same question was asked countless times in the course of history, and in general, new technology has proven to be worth it. ABS. Certainly, when it was first developed, some systems were better than others. Even today, I'm sure that's the case. But it was worth doing. Computers. Again, some systems were pretty horrible in the late '70s and early '80s, but it was worth doing. Cadillac had a cylinder deactivation system in the early 1980s that worked well for what it was, but the technology available at the time couldn't keep up (inferior fuel control systems, slow microprocessors, etc). I think it's great that manufacturers continue to push the envelope in this area. Assuming the system can be made reliable (that could be a big assumption), fuel economy gains like this are essentially free. No across-the-board performance loss, no special fuel required, no compromises in the chassis for light weight, etc. Cylinder deactivation makes a lot of sense to me (and to a lot of manufacturers I guess) and it's great that the technology is now available to support a better system than we had a few decades ago.

#18 ·
blackPREMIER said:
My opinion is, nobody should be comfortable on purchasing a vehicle today, new or used.
My dad used to have a rule of thumb--never buy a car in its first year of production. Give the manufacturer them a year or two to work out the bugs. My friend Oscar who sells Nissans agrees.

Dad violated his rule when he bought his 76 volare. The fuel system was not very good--and it was in for carburetor work a lot. THere was also a recall to put in a plastic battery tray, because battery acid could leak onto the brake lines (oops!) It's little stuff like that that all the road testing in the world will not find.

Give the new technology a couple of years. We will learn about the reliability--or lack thereof--of cylinder deactivation in Hondas and Chryslers. We will learn about how poor acceleration and mileage that Prius gets when its drive battery is dead and it's running around on a little teeny gas engine because you don't have enough money to replace the $5,000 battery. We will even also learn about unanticipated troubles caused by reworking the rear suspension and rerouting everything under the T&C for Stow-n-Go!

#19 ·
mmahamm said:
Give the new technology a couple of years. We will learn about the reliability--or lack thereof--of cylinder deactivation in Hondas and Chryslers...
This does present an interesting situation. I agree -- I usually don't jump on new technology either. Fortunately, others do, because they're selling it. If everyone gave new technology some time to work itself out, it would never work itself out...because everyone would be waiting around to give it time, and not using it. It's a bit of a Catch 22! :ask_wsign

#20 · (Edited)
same thing 2003 T&C

The noise seems to go away when the engine is warm. Can I at least take home that this is annoying but not dangerous?

Couple of other things.
1) Looked in the reservoir while the engine was running. I could see the fluid returning and it was pretty bubbly. For all I know that is normal.
2) An interesting post by a guy who replaced the screen in his reservoir.
http://forum.chryslerminivan.net/showthread.php?t=6549
3) Another one...this one explains the bubbles
http://chryslerforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7592&highlight=power+steering+noise

#21 ·
The noise seems to go away when the engine is warm. Can I at least take home that this is annoying but not dangerous?

Couple of other things.
1) Looked in the reservoir while the engine was running. I could see the fluid returning and it was pretty bubbly. For all I know that is normal.
2) An interesting post by a guy who replaced the screen in his reservoir.
http://forum.chryslerminivan.net/showthread.php?t=6549
3) Another one...this one explains the bubbles
http://chryslerforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7592&highlight=power+steering+noise
There are better than 90% odds that if you simply replace your Power Steering fluid reservoir that any problems with noise you have will disappear. If you ignore the issue and the Power Steering rack and pump are starved for fluid (due to a clogged screen in the reservoir), they can be damaged with prolonged use.

#24 ·
Every 4th generation minivan owner should even keep a spare one! (lol)

All dealers should be stocking them (they dont).

This should be a regularly scheduled maintenance item.Chrysler didnt think of it though.

And Chrysler shouldnt have cheaped out and switched to a black cap (I reused the old yellow one when I did mine)...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.