Power steering noise 2002 Town & Country

ChryslerMiniVan.net is the premier Chrysler Minivan Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Power steering noise 2002 Town & Country

Thanks

Power steering noise 2002 Town & Country

Hello Im new to the forum although this is my second Chrysler Mini Van. I need help!!! I read a prior post about this problem and I have the same issue. However my car has been back to the dealer four times for this issue
    1. For some power steering recall Didnt fix it
    2. they replaced the power steering pump Didnt fix it!
    3. They claim they replaced some kind of power steering hoses. They stated there was a TSB that sometimes they started to collapse on themselve and restrict the flow
    4. Last week they replaced the POER STEERING RACK!!!!! Still making the noise!!!

like everyone else it doesnt make the noise for the first couple miles then it kicks in mostly at lower speeds, turning and parking lot manuevering. Then mysteriously the noise disapears. I did notice the colder it got the worse it got .

Im tired of spending time at the dealership. They are frustrated and i dont think they know whats wrong. cars going back in this thursday!!!!HELP

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chrysler Minivan Forums
    Advertisements

Thanks

Welcome rad3110.

Sorry to hear you having the Power Steering Problem. I have not had the problem however it looks like your dealership appears to have tried alot. Does your system have RED fluid in it (ATF+4)? I know of some instances that the change from regular fluid to ATF+4 have helped. I believe the 2002 should already have the ATF+4 HOWEVER the 2001 had regular fluid so you MAY have a change over model that has the old fluid it in.
    The other thing I can think of is to MAKE SURE all the work the dealer stated they did, the REALLY DID. I hate to sound so negative, but it is possible.
    I know someone on here will come in with some good information so hang in and make sure you keep us posted on the problem and the fix (WHEN FOUND).

Check it out: http://forum.chryslerminivan.net/showthread.php?t=1705

Good Luck
    Last edited by DSMLVR; 01-11-2005 at 07:05 AM.
    2001 Dodge Grand Caravan Sport 3.3L
    2004 Chrysler Pacifica AWD 3.5L

Thanks

Have you tried a different Chrysler or Dodge dealer? Might be worth a try.
    Michael
    Centreville, VA
    Currently driving:
    2005 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT, 120K mi.
    Former owner of:
    1988 Dodge Caravan SE, 2.5L I4 (1988-1995, 99K mi); 1995 Plymouth Grand Voyager SE "Rallye", 3.3L (1995-2004, 169K mi); 2003 Grand Caravan Sport, 3.8L, (2004-2008, 106K mi), 2008 Nissan Quest, (2008-2010, 25K mi)

Other vehicles:
    2008 Lexus RX400h (Dark Gray), 98K mi; 2005 Hyundai Elantra GT (Blue), 75K mi

Thanks

The other thing I can think of is to MAKE SURE all the work the dealer stated they did, the REALLY DID. I hate to sound so negative, but it is possible.
    Have you tried a different Chrysler or Dodge dealer? Might be worth a try.
    That was what I said, in a kind of a subtle gist.

Thanks

We got our hoses replced 4 times on our 2002 Grand Caravan in 56k...

Seems like they leak everytime it gets cold outside
    2004 Durango Limited AWD

Thanks

blackPREMIER where are the PS hoses located, just wanna check mine to make sure that they are ok. Thanks

Thanks

I looked all around my van. the power steering pump was definately replaced as well as the uper hose and the steering rack. To my surprise the lower power steering hose looks like it was not replaced. I do not have the work orders from the dealer(i know i should know better) I pick up my van after the dealer closes. I also noticed when they replaced the upper hoses they broke the clip that hold the throttle and cruise control cable to the the power steering resevior. Im
    A. going to request all my sevice work orders
    b, request the replace the broken clip
    c request they replace the lower hose(whats left after that?)
    In anticipation of having a problem with this dealer what is my recourse if any with chyrsler???? 2002 ex 30110 miles 4 months left on factory warranty. Im allready think about bailing and trading the car in for a Toyota Seinna Mini-van or a Honda Oddessy any thoughts??? Thanks

Thanks

Im allready think about bailing and trading the car in for a Toyota Seinna Mini-van or a Honda Oddessy any thoughts??? Thanks

WHY

Thanks

Sounds like the dealer service department leaves a little to be desired. Before Chrysler will do anything to help you, they will tell you to visit another dealer; just like we have. Likewise, you SHOULD request all the work orders on the van. I don't know about you, but on the rare occasion my van goes back to the dealer, I STILL get a work order when I pick it up AFTER HOURS at the Cashier's desk. That is not an excuse for them not to provide you with a list of what they did, so go in and ask for one. I don't know why they wouldn't give you that.

Why on earth would you trade in your van on an Odyssey or Sienna because of this? This is a minor problem in the grand scheme of things, especially compared to the tranny issues the Odysseys have.... One site I've found extremely helpful for comparing cars is autos.msn.com. They have a couple of professional reviewers as well as a consumer reviews section, so you can avoid the bias involved with SOME auto magazines. Looking at the ratings of the '05 Ody, '05 Sienna, and '02 T&C, you're not a whole lot better off in the Odyssey and actually the '05 Sienna gets the same consumer rating as the '02 T&C (kinda pathetic for a BRAND NEW CAR). When you compare it to the '05 T&C, you're ahead of all of them. This of course is not a completely accurate comparison but it gives you an idea about what actual owners think of the cars they just bought.

Also, remember that ALL cars have their quirks. Toyota and Honda included.
    Kevin Peterson
    Senior Global Moderator
    Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums

-Current Wheels-
    1992 Plymouth Voyager- 6G72 3.0L, 31TH -- 237,000 miles -- "Bessie"
    2011 Ford Escape Limited- Duratec 25 2.5L, 6F35 -- 28,000 miles -- "Bessie's Understudy"

-Former Wheels-
    2010 Ford Fusion S- Duratec 25 2.5L, 6F35 -- 86,000 miles
    2004 Dodge Stratus SE- EDZ 2.4L/41TE, 79,000 miles
    1999 Dodge Caravan- EGA 3.3L/41TE, 130,000 miles
    1996 Pontiac Grand Am- LD9 2.4L/4T40-E, 85,000 miles

"In a completely rational society, the best of us would be teachers and the rest of us would have to settle for something else." -- Lee Iacocca

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jazztrumpet216
    Sounds like the dealer service department leaves a little to be desired. Before Chrysler will do anything to help you, they will tell you to visit another dealer; just like we have. Likewise, you SHOULD request all the work orders on the van. I don't know about you, but on the rare occasion my van goes back to the dealer, I STILL get a work order when I pick it up AFTER HOURS at the Cashier's desk. That is not an excuse for them not to provide you with a list of what they did, so go in and ask for one. I don't know why they wouldn't give you that.

Why on earth would you trade in your van on an Odyssey or Sienna because of this? This is a minor problem in the grand scheme of things, especially compared to the tranny issues the Odysseys have.... One site I've found extremely helpful for comparing cars is autos.msn.com. They have a couple of professional reviewers as well as a consumer reviews section, so you can avoid the bias involved with SOME auto magazines. Looking at the ratings of the '05 Ody, '05 Sienna, and '02 T&C, you're not a whole lot better off in the Odyssey and actually the '05 Sienna gets the same consumer rating as the '02 T&C (kinda pathetic for a BRAND NEW CAR). When you compare it to the '05 T&C, you're ahead of all of them. This of course is not a completely accurate comparison but it gives you an idea about what actual owners think of the cars they just bought.

Also, remember that ALL cars have their quirks. Toyota and Honda included.
    Well of course not, they're PERFECT, you dont even have to change tires on a Honda or Toyota (Sarcastic)

Umer, I can't help you on that, all I know is that, the last time it leaked, it was on the driver side, way back of the engine, Actually, I was able to see the fluid dripping from ONE clip under the van, laying on the ground, where the front door (driver's) hinges are (if you understand), but I can get information from one of our mecanics where the power steering is located.

Mom also thought of replacing her Grand Caravan, but not with an Odyssey or Sienna, she drove the Ody and I CAN'T SEE WHY PEOPLE THINKS THAT THEIR ODYSSEY"S ARE GOD'S GIFT TO THE WORLD, anyways, if she ever replace her GC, it will be with an Accord Coupe or Magnum/300. I understand the frustration rad3110 is having, because like I said before, the 2002 GC had her PS hoses replaced 4 times, sway bar links replaced and still making a clunk, frozen rear brakes when brand new....For the price she paid, she was expecting more quality than this, sure it's a rare case for the PS steering to bust 4 times, I see when they come in for service (Am I allowed to check in the service record... , but I do it) and vast majority of the minivans serviced here came twice for the ps, and it was to replace the hoses for the recall.

Ever noticed the SERVICE bays of Toyota and Honda dealers are as busy as you Chrysler/Dodge service bay...
    2004 Durango Limited AWD

+ Reply to Thread