Flickering Headlights 2010 Caravan SXT 4.0

ChryslerMiniVan.net is the premier Chrysler Minivan Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Flickering Headlights 2010 Caravan SXT 4.0

Thanks

Flickering Headlights 2010 Caravan SXT 4.0

I have noticed minute flickerings of my headlights when stopped. I've also had a bit of a rough idle as well. I wonder if the alternator may be causing both of this.

Dad's Ride 2010 Silver SXT4.0L 98500kms
    Son's Ride 2012 Ford Focus HB LEMON SOON TO BE BOUGHT BACK BY FORD~~~~Week of April 21st!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chrysler Minivan Forums
    Advertisements

Thanks

4th gens have that as well. We think it has something to do with the BCM not keeping the voltage to the headlamps very consistent. I suspect putting the headlamps on a relay and running the power straight from the battery would be a better solution, but that's a project that I have not tackled yet.
    '11 Toyota Camry | 2.5/6AT | Sandy Beach
    '07 Chrysler T&C | 3.8/4AT | Cognac Crystal
    '05 Acura MDX | 3.5/5AT | Billet Silver
    '97 Dodge Dakota | 5.2/4AT | Emerald Green

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Hokiefyd For This Useful Post:

2010SXT4.0L (08-09-2010)

Thanks

I had the same problem. My headlight would flicker on & off and with time the flickering got so bad that my engine would turn off while I was driving. I had the dealership flash my TIPM ( Totally Integrated Power Module-- The Fuse box) and it fixed it for a couple of months and then my electrical malfunction came back so I eventually changed the TIPM and so far it has cured my electrical malfunction. I heard in another Dodge forum that our headlights does not have relays and that our TIPM controls our headlights And almost all our electrical Devices. Even my A/C blower was malfunctioning at the same time with my headlights but was also cured when I installed my new TIPM.
    2008 Dodge Grand Caravan 3.3L
    36,000 Miles
    NO mods

Thanks

Ouch I hope I don't see that appear

Dad's Ride 2010 Silver SXT4.0L 98500kms
    Son's Ride 2012 Ford Focus HB LEMON SOON TO BE BOUGHT BACK BY FORD~~~~Week of April 21st!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ceasar91706 View Post
    I had the same problem. My headlight would flicker on & off and with time the flickering got so bad that my engine would turn off while I was driving. I had the dealership flash my TIPM ( Totally Integrated Power Module-- The Fuse box) and it fixed it for a couple of months and then my electrical malfunction came back so I eventually changed the TIPM and so far it has cured my electrical malfunction. I heard in another Dodge forum that our headlights does not have relays and that our TIPM controls our headlights And almost all our electrical Devices. Even my A/C blower was malfunctioning at the same time with my headlights but was also cured when I installed my new TIPM.
    Is that what they're calling it now? Used to be just the PDC. Then they went to the FCM/PDC combo making it the IPM. Now it's just the TIPM. Ya, Chrysler and others have gone way overboard with this integration crap. It's supposed to increase reliability and decrease costs. Uh huh. The first manufacturer that goes back to the old switch/relay MO will be stellar in my book. I'm not holding my breath. Soon, to clean a dirty window you have to change the CGB (Chryslers Gottchya Box) at 2 grand a pop.
    Last edited by RIP; 08-10-2010 at 06:48 PM.
    ******** We took the time to answer your post. Please give us some time and post the fix. You'll help hundreds. ********

**** Follow all prescribed safety procedures before attempting any repairs. If in doubt, refer to a maintenance manual. ****

96 Gr Caravan LE 3.8, 212K miles
    07 Fusion / 06 RAV 4 / 06 Accord

8. The Following User Says Thank You to RIP For This Useful Post:

jee34 (12-31-2013)

Thanks

Any progress on the flickering and rough idle? I have an 08 T&C touring, 3.8l with the same issues. Best I can tell its JUST the headlights that flicker, and have a bit of a rough idle. I have no other symptoms or problems with the van, runs great, i get 23-25 mpg highway, 17-20mpg city and mixed driving. I have done full tune up chasing the rough idle (plugs, wires, new coil, map sensor) Next thought was alternator, but i get a rock steady 14.4 at idle with everything on, no fluctuation on the meter, as well as all the other lights on the vehicle do not flicker. I have done some searching, and seems many have had to replace the TIPM. Wondering if there is any other things to check before i replace it, but also, im having trouble locating one, and not sure if the ones I have found are the correct one? Also the prices seem to jump all over, some vary by hundreds of dollars. This makes me nervous as to why such a price gap.

Any advice, direction, input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Thanks

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
    The TIPM has been the fix for this but I would make sure I don't have a corroded or damaged connection somewhere before I forked over several hundred bucks. Disconnect the negative battery cable then inspect all the TIPM connections. I have read if you install a used TIPM it has to be married/programmed to your van but a new TIPM doesn't. Because I read it doesn't make it gospel. Check with your dealer. Headlight switches have been the culprit on older model vans. So much so that switches on 05/06 vans have a lifetime warranty.
    ******** We took the time to answer your post. Please give us some time and post the fix. You'll help hundreds. ********

**** Follow all prescribed safety procedures before attempting any repairs. If in doubt, refer to a maintenance manual. ****

96 Gr Caravan LE 3.8, 212K miles
    07 Fusion / 06 RAV 4 / 06 Accord

Thanks

Thanks for your input RIP. I will definately checkout the wiring and connections. Not going to be today though....its 11 degrees right now and just got about 7 inches of snow dumped in north jersey...(i only have street parking) On that note, the van did incredibly well in the snow, slushy slop, and even pushing through the snowbank out of my parking spot when i took my wife to work this morning. Quite pleased with snow performance.

Adam.
    Adam
    2008 T&C
    Touring 3.8

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply