The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

growling/rumbling noise while idling

121K views 26 replies 14 participants last post by  ervescurves777 
#1 ·
I have read through a LOT of posts and see this noise is fairly common and 2-3 different things can be the source. But I figured it would be best to get an opinion from some of the experts here.

2003 T&C, 3.3L, 136k miles. For awhile it's had a rumbling/growling noise while idling. The noise goes away as soon as you give it any gas. Sometimes it wouldn't make a noise and instead be a squeaking type noise like a worn belt. New belt was put on about 6 months when water pump was replaced.

The growling noise usually is worse when the A/C is on but again would go away as soon as the RPM increased so I didn't think it would be the A/C compressor or clutch.

So today, I tried one of the easier things that I was capable of doing, I replaced the idler pulley. So far, NO noise while at idle with the A/C OFF.

I turned the A/C on and the noise comes back, but not as loud as before.

So could the same type noise be made by two different parts? From reading other posts, I see that the A/C clutch is a common issue on making a grumbling type noise. Is that hard to replace for a novice mechanic?

See less See more
#2 ·
Get a piece hose long enough to put one end in your ear and the other down into the engine/pulley area. You can use the hose as a directional microphone to determine what is making noise. You can buy plastic hose by the foot at any hardware/Home depot/Lowes store.

A piece of hose has a thousand uses. Just use your imagination!

#3 ·
I have the same noise coming from a 2001 Town & Country. I believe the noise is the belt tensioner jumping at idle. Once you get it above idle it stops hopping and the noise goes away. I dont know if changing just the idler itself on the tensioner will fix it or not. My guess is that the spring has gotten weak in the tensioner that is causing the problem.

#4 ·
Ususally the 'rawr rawr rawr rawr rawr' sound at idle is the over-running clutch on the alternator. I know that is what it is on my 03.

#5 ·
I like it. I'm gonna try this just to see. But use plasti right? And are we talking tubing, or like a gas can plastic? Heck, just buy a stethoscope.

#6 ·
Has anyone come up with a definitive solution

I have the same issue a rumble/rattle at IDLE. This rumble/rattle stops with a tap on the gas. I replaced the water pump since this has lateral movement and the noise dropped just a little. Now I assume the next item is the A/C clutch bearing since this too has lateral movement. Does anyone have real experience here? I am not looking for a bunch of opinion.

#9 ·
I have a similar issue on my '07 GC SXT. I can barely hear the noise when the A/C is turned off, but is quite noticeable when it is turned on. It goes away once I step on the gas and go. So, I took a mechanic's stethoscope and probed around the alternator and A/C compressor. I probed the alternator first since it was easier to get to. I could definitely hear the noise when I probed the alternator and while the A/C was turned on. I then went under the car and probed the A/C compressor. Interestingly, I could barely notice a difference in noise level through the stethoscope when I probed the A/C compressor even though it was turned on.

So, could it be the alternator overruning clutch as Papa Bear mentioned? It seems the noise is coming from the alternator, even though the noise is more pronounced only when the A/C is turned on.

Thoughts? Ideas?

#11 ·
I had the same problem w/ my 2003 T&C Limited AWD w/ 86,000 miles. Last week I changed the alternator due to the noise. The OAD decoupler pulley costs about $52.00 through Rock Auto. The special tool costs about $65.00 (unless you are a Chrysler mechanic you probably won't have much use for in the future). I bought a rebuilt alternator through Advanced Auto for $136 (20% off sale) w/ lifetime replacement warrantee. It took about 1 hour to install and the noise is gone.

#12 ·
I think I have the same issue as well, noise at idle. So, is it the OAD decoupler pulley that is making the noise? Is there any way to lubricate it, which might lessen the noise? I wonder if I can spray some "Fluid Film" to maybe lessen the noise? If possible where would I spray it? Thanks in advance.

#14 ·
You can pop the cap off the over-running clutch and spray some P.B. blaster on the clutch. It is not a repair, but it may quieten it down some.

#15 ·
So, I'm guessing by the replies that the noise from the overrunning clutch on the alternator is more an annoyance versus a sign of imminent failure. Are there any long term consequences other than noise if I ignore it for a while?

#16 ·
Not that I know of. Mine has been making sounds for a year now. Still going...

#20 ·
Going to add one more thing. I drove the van to McDonalds to get a McFrappe. All was still quiet for a few minutes. Then the 'rawr, rawr, rawr' turned into a 'GRAWR GRAWR GRAWR'. So I am wondering if I should have skipped the PB blaster and went with silicone spray. Either way, I'll probably take some brake cleaner and clean the PB out and go back with silicone spray. It is WAY louder than before. Then again, maybe the cap fell off. I don't know and it's beyond late. I'll report back about this...

#21 ·
Thanks very much and for your previous post. I took a second look earlier in my vehicle and it looks like the cap fell off on mine. For some reason, I thought the cap covered the entire pulley, which I seem to have, save for a "hole" in the middle (which is where the actual cap that you referred to would be).

Let me know what else you discover...thanks!

#23 ·
No. I can look up service related things, but not part related things. But if memory serves me correctly you can not just buy the cap. If my cap is missing, I'd say it will be junkyard time.

Reactions: rojpon74
#24 · (Edited)
growl

I had the growl at idol and squeal when a/c was on at idol. Changed the serpentine belt along with tensioner assembly and idler wheel. The noise went away. I think in my case the growl was the belt vibrating. The old tensioner would allow me to move it by simply pulling on the belt, the new one wont move like that. 2005 dodge grand caravan 3.3 l. 130k miles

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.