growling/rumbling noise while idling

ChryslerMiniVan.net is the premier Chrysler Minivan Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: growling/rumbling noise while idling

Thanks

growling/rumbling noise while idling

I have read through a LOT of posts and see this noise is fairly common and 2-3 different things can be the source. But I figured it would be best to get an opinion from some of the experts here.

2003 T&C, 3.3L, 136k miles. For awhile it's had a rumbling/growling noise while idling. The noise goes away as soon as you give it any gas. Sometimes it wouldn't make a noise and instead be a squeaking type noise like a worn belt. New belt was put on about 6 months when water pump was replaced.

The growling noise usually is worse when the A/C is on but again would go away as soon as the RPM increased so I didn't think it would be the A/C compressor or clutch.

So today, I tried one of the easier things that I was capable of doing, I replaced the idler pulley. So far, NO noise while at idle with the A/C OFF.

I turned the A/C on and the noise comes back, but not as loud as before.

So could the same type noise be made by two different parts? From reading other posts, I see that the A/C clutch is a common issue on making a grumbling type noise. Is that hard to replace for a novice mechanic?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Chrysler Minivan Forums
    Advertisements

Thanks

Get a piece hose long enough to put one end in your ear and the other down into the engine/pulley area. You can use the hose as a directional microphone to determine what is making noise. You can buy plastic hose by the foot at any hardware/Home depot/Lowes store.

A piece of hose has a thousand uses. Just use your imagination!

Thanks

I have the same noise coming from a 2001 Town & Country. I believe the noise is the belt tensioner jumping at idle. Once you get it above idle it stops hopping and the noise goes away. I dont know if changing just the idler itself on the tensioner will fix it or not. My guess is that the spring has gotten weak in the tensioner that is causing the problem.

Thanks

Ususally the 'rawr rawr rawr rawr rawr' sound at idle is the over-running clutch on the alternator. I know that is what it is on my 03.
    Jeff
    http://www.facebook.com/eddie.munster
    Current:
    2007 Grand Caravan/3.8L V6/103K mi/original 41TE
    2006 300C/5.7L HEMI V8/128/K mi/original W5A580
    2002 PT Cruiser/2.4L I4/139K mi/original 40TE
    1992 S-10/4.3L V6/249K mi/original 4L60E
    Previous minivans:
    1997 Grand Voyager SE/traded@192K mi/3.3L V6/original 41TE
    2003 Grand Caravan Sport/3.8L V6/traded@124K mi/original 41TE
    2007 T&C/3.8L V6/traded@44K mi/ original 41TE
    2010 T&C Touring/3.8L V6/the ex's@72K mi/original 62TE

Thanks

I like it. I'm gonna try this just to see. But use plasti right? And are we talking tubing, or like a gas can plastic? Heck, just buy a stethoscope.
    2005 T&C Touring W.P. Chrysler Signature Series
    3.8 V6, most bells and whistles.

Thanks

Has anyone come up with a definitive solution

Quote Originally Posted by pmassey31545 View Post
    I like it. I'm gonna try this just to see. But use plasti right? And are we talking tubing, or like a gas can plastic? Heck, just buy a stethoscope.
    I have the same issue a rumble/rattle at IDLE. This rumble/rattle stops with a tap on the gas. I replaced the water pump since this has lateral movement and the noise dropped just a little. Now I assume the next item is the A/C clutch bearing since this too has lateral movement. Does anyone have real experience here? I am not looking for a bunch of opinion.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mimgq2 View Post
    I have the same issue a rumble/rattle at IDLE. This rumble/rattle stops with a tap on the gas. I replaced the water pump since this has lateral movement and the noise dropped just a little. Now I assume the next item is the A/C clutch bearing since this too has lateral movement. Does anyone have real experience here? I am not looking for a bunch of opinion.
    All your going to get here is opinion. We all have an opinion and unfortunately without seeing or hearing your van in person, an opinion is all we can give you. As I said above, I know mine is the over-running clutch on the alternator. My belt, tensioner, water pump, and A/C compressor has all been replaced within the last 16,000 miles. At work, usually the sound is the over-running clutch. Wanna find out for sure, go take the cap off the over-running clutch, spray some PB blaster or lubricant in it, and put the cap back on. Does the sound get better? If so, that is your problem. If not, then report back and you'll get another opinion.
    Jeff
    http://www.facebook.com/eddie.munster
    Current:
    2007 Grand Caravan/3.8L V6/103K mi/original 41TE
    2006 300C/5.7L HEMI V8/128/K mi/original W5A580
    2002 PT Cruiser/2.4L I4/139K mi/original 40TE
    1992 S-10/4.3L V6/249K mi/original 4L60E
    Previous minivans:
    1997 Grand Voyager SE/traded@192K mi/3.3L V6/original 41TE
    2003 Grand Caravan Sport/3.8L V6/traded@124K mi/original 41TE
    2007 T&C/3.8L V6/traded@44K mi/ original 41TE
    2010 T&C Touring/3.8L V6/the ex's@72K mi/original 62TE

Thanks

Noise is the alternator

I have seen this many times. It is the overridding clutch on the alternator. A starter/alternator shop can replace the clutch without replacing the whole alternator.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to papa bear For This Useful Post:

jgbat (08-29-2010)

Thanks

I have a similar issue on my '07 GC SXT. I can barely hear the noise when the A/C is turned off, but is quite noticeable when it is turned on. It goes away once I step on the gas and go. So, I took a mechanic's stethoscope and probed around the alternator and A/C compressor. I probed the alternator first since it was easier to get to. I could definitely hear the noise when I probed the alternator and while the A/C was turned on. I then went under the car and probed the A/C compressor. Interestingly, I could barely notice a difference in noise level through the stethoscope when I probed the A/C compressor even though it was turned on.

So, could it be the alternator overruning clutch as Papa Bear mentioned? It seems the noise is coming from the alternator, even though the noise is more pronounced only when the A/C is turned on.

Thoughts? Ideas?
    R. Soriano
    2007 Grand Caravan SXT
    2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    1972 Dodge Challenger

Thanks

FYI, my '07 GC SXT has about 44,000 miles on it.
    R. Soriano
    2007 Grand Caravan SXT
    2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    1972 Dodge Challenger

+ Reply to Thread